OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 04:33:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupidest Reasons You've Missed Church?  (Read 760 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: April 29, 2012, 03:57:00 AM »

I make this thread in dedication of all the stupid excuses and reasons why we have not attended Church before when we know that we really should have. Share your stories here. To set it off, I've missed Church for a week on one or two occasions because I did not want the cute slavic girl to see my acne, I've missed Church on account of that I was 'tired' because I had been out until 1:00AM the previous saturday night with my mates up to stupid yet harmless fun. I missed Church once because I had forgotten to iron the shirt I was going to wear and I was too lazy to do it last minute in the morning. And that is all I can think of for now. More coming soon!

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:33:23 AM »

I don't know that I've ever missed a service because of a reason I thought (then or now) was stupid, but I've certainly missed a lot of services because of reasons that someone else thought were stupid. But then, I would say that stupid reasons and vain reasons, or prideful reasons, or whatever, are different things. And I certainly have missed services because of pride.

Large Marge sent me...
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:05:26 AM »

Hangover.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »

Once I've not wantedd to be seen with a black eye.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »

to avoid people
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 12:51:14 PM »

to avoid lusting

(j/k actually, but the way some people dress at my parish, it's not too far of a cry!  Cheesy )
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 01:11:46 PM »

Took to much time trying to pick out clothes... which is surprising, since everything I own is either brown or gray...
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »

For some reason this thread made think of the last EO service I attended. DL for the the Dormition. Me and the priest. No one else.

Proverbs 22:7
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 02:04:09 PM »

For some reason this thread made think of the last EO service I attended. DL for the the Dormition. Me and the priest. No one else.

Welp, guess it's just the priest now. As if that situation couldn't have gotten any more depressing, you managed to make it happen. Congratulations.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 02:05:15 PM »

Took to much time trying to pick out clothes... which is surprising, since everything I own is either brown or gray...

oh yes, i think i've decided not to go before because i don't have any decent clothes to wear, all dirty, etc.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 03:30:42 PM »

I wanted to translate a work of John of Damascus for a religious debate in a forum.

It took me an hour, I missed the mass.  Sad
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »

Welp, guess it's just the priest now. As if that situation couldn't have gotten any more depressing, you managed to make it happen. Congratulations.

Hipster

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »

I didn't end up missing it (I've only missed once and it was due to illness; before you nominate me for sainthood, I've only been attending a Coptic Orthodox Church for eight months, and we only have liturgy twice a month), but I have seriously considered not going because I knew they would want me to read an Epistle and from the Agpeya and I didn't want to because I was afraid I'd screw it up (as I had screwed up the introduction to the Epistle the previous liturgy). It's a bit uncomfortable being the only native English speaker in our church. I wish the other white guy who came to liturgy twice would quit doing whatever he's doing now and come back.

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 04:30:52 PM »

Well, when I miss it it's because I don't have a ride.  Also, there was the time I had the flu.

A few times I've overslept.  Actually, I almost missed my first Pascha because my Holy Saturday nap went a little too long! Grin

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »

You might be the Orbitz of guilt trips, but no one's buying  a ticket today.

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »

There's a great bookstore with a Starbuck's in it nearby. A handful of times I accidentally wound up there instead of at the Liturgy.  Tongue
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:46:45 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 09:08:54 PM »

There's a great bookstore with a Starbuck's in it nearby. A handful of times I accidentally wound up there instead of at the Liturgy.  Tongue

ah, i've similarly been on the way to liturgy before and got re-routed somewhere inbetween...  Undecided
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 09:25:52 PM »

Only took you about 5 hours to craft that masterful response? Your PMs seemed equally pallid.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »

Only took you about 5 hours to craft that masterful response? Your PMs seemed equally pallid.

cmon guys...  Roll Eyes
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »

No it took me about 5 hours to do some laundry, walk the dogs and fix dinner. I have a life in RL.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 10:03:29 PM »

Got up late, got into traffic, missed the turn for church several times, gave up...
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 10:21:15 PM »

Interesting, sort of related story:

Quote from: Greg Ross
Choir practice normally started at 7:20 p.m. at the West Side Baptist Church in Beatrice, Neb. But on March 1, 1950, all 15 members were late.

One pair of sisters had car trouble; they called for a ride from a third member, who was delayed by homework. A mother and daughter were detained at a relative’s house. The choir director was late because her daughter, the pianist, had fallen asleep. Other members needed to finish a letter or hear the end of a radio program. One was “just plain lazy.”

So no one was present at 7:25 when the building exploded. The blast shattered local windows and forced a nearby radio station off the air.

The church furnace, it seems, had ignited a gas leak.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »

Interesting, sort of related story:

Quote from: Greg Ross
Choir practice normally started at 7:20 p.m. at the West Side Baptist Church in Beatrice, Neb. But on March 1, 1950, all 15 members were late.

One pair of sisters had car trouble; they called for a ride from a third member, who was delayed by homework. A mother and daughter were detained at a relative’s house. The choir director was late because her daughter, the pianist, had fallen asleep. Other members needed to finish a letter or hear the end of a radio program. One was “just plain lazy.”

So no one was present at 7:25 when the building exploded. The blast shattered local windows and forced a nearby radio station off the air.

The church furnace, it seems, had ignited a gas leak.
Proof of that adage that there are no coincidences in God's providence.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: