OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 02:46:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Candles of personal use  (Read 989 times) Average Rating: 0
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« on: April 28, 2012, 11:43:15 PM »

What kind of candles do you use in private prayer? Where did you get them?

Pictures aren't just requested, it might be illegal not to post any.

I'm going to need this.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:49:28 PM »

Beeswax candles.  They are tapers at my church. I usually buy about 10 a month and leave a donation in the candle tray to cover the expenses. I don't know where the church gets them. I could find out and get back to you.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 11:57:33 PM »

Saints Mary & Martha Orthodox Monastery is where I get mine from. Quality candles (for a very affordable price) :

http://www.saintsmaryandmarthaorthodoxmonastery.org/candles.html

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:58:06 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:23:36 AM »

What are you all using to hold them?

I'm going to need this.
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »

I also buy beeswax candles from my parish.

For standard 7/8" candles I use a candle holder I bought for a few bucks at Hobby Lobby. For the narrower 3/8" variety I have a tiny candle holder a friend bought me at a monastery.

Before my parish started selling candles, I used regular tea light candles in little glass holders.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:35:10 AM by age234 » Logged
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:07:24 AM »

A coffee mug filled with sand.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »

If you melt the bottom a little over a flame, they stick anywhere, tho I usually use a glass votive cup.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 06:33:33 PM »

A good idea. (And a good use for those regrettable icon coffee cups, eh LBK?)

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:54:56 PM »

Don't. Tempt. Me ....  Tongue laugh laugh
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 07:04:42 PM »

Now if we could only find some good use for those bracelets and t-shirts (and those who make them)...

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 07:07:06 PM »

Now if we could only find some good use for those bracelets and t-shirts (and those who make them)...

Burn them. The Tshirts and bracelets, that is. As for those who make and sell them, hmmm. Might not be printable.  Wink Shocked laugh
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 07:20:04 PM »

Rice works too. I had some junk rice laying around that worked perfectly.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »

Rice works too. I had some junk rice laying around that worked perfectly.

Salt and sugar works well, too.
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »

my church uses these really thin (stick like) candles I want to get but i cant find them anywhere.. any help would be appreciated, i keep forgetting to ask the priests where they get them LOL
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »

Burn them. The Tshirts and bracelets, that is. As for those who make and sell them, hmmm. Might not be printable.  Wink Shocked laugh

Kill two birds with one grenade.  Burn them and the tshirts and bracelets together.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 06:47:36 PM »

What kind of candles do you use in private prayer? Where did you get them?

Pictures aren't just requested, it might be illegal not to post any.

Often beeswax.  We buy them from a "local" OCA convent.  We are in the process of putting up several beehives and will then supply our own.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 07:24:01 PM »

I remember, back home, when people died, since all funeral rites took place at home, as long as the dead was still inside the house (3 days) they kept a candle burning in a jar filled with wheat grains or poppy seed. At the moment they were taking the deceased's casket outside, in the courtyard for the main burial rite, some woman spread all those grains everywhere around the house, for, they thought, he could only come back as a werewolf/ghost after he finished counting all those grains.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 07:32:21 PM »

For personal use, I leave a donation for candles at my parish and take those. We buy from the Convent of the Nativity of the Theotokos in Wayne, WV (associated with the Hermitage of the Holy Cross).

For holding candles, you can find stands at hobby stores, flea markets, consignment shops, etc. Also, anything filled with sand works fine. I've even seen some places use stands that are just a polished marble or stone top, and people push the ends of the candles down onto it. I can usually get candles to stand like this just by pushing it onto the surface near the base. If that doesn't work, heat the bottom a bit with another flame.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »

For holding candles, you can find stands at hobby stores, flea markets, consignment shops, etc. Also, anything filled with sand works fine. I've even seen some places use stands that are just a polished marble or stone top, and people push the ends of the candles down onto it. I can usually get candles to stand like this just by pushing it onto the surface near the base. If that doesn't work, heat the bottom a bit with another flame.

Such a method is only safe with candles with a high beeswax content, as the wax is hard enough and sticky enough to allow the base of the candle to stick properly. Many church candles, in my experience, have little beeswax in them (don't be fooled by the yellow or brown color, this is often simply a dye), and it would be much safer to use these candles in a candle holder or embedded in sand or something similar.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 08:02:14 PM »

Such a method is only safe with candles with a high beeswax content, as the wax is hard enough and sticky enough to allow the base of the candle to stick properly. Many church candles, in my experience, have little beeswax in them (don't be fooled by the yellow or brown color, this is often simply a dye), and it would be much safer to use these candles in a candle holder or embedded in sand or something similar.

This is true. Only do as I suggested if you know they're REAL beeswax candles. I know that the ones from my parish are, and I believe the ones from Ss. Mary and Martha are as well.

Thank you for the correction, LBK. Grin
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:02:40 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »

I remember, back home, when people died, since all funeral rites took place at home, as long as the dead was still inside the house (3 days) they kept a candle burning in a jar filled with wheat grains or poppy seed. At the moment they were taking the deceased's casket outside, in the courtyard for the main burial rite, some woman spread all those grains everywhere around the house, for, they thought, he could only come back as a werewolf/ghost after he finished counting all those grains.

Just curious--was the deceased taken out the door or through the window? In Siberia and Alaska (and I thought some parts of rural Ukraine and European Russia) this was the practice. And the mirrors were covered.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »

This is bad. Church candles should be 100 percent beeswax.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 04:00:34 PM »

This is bad. Church candles should be 100 percent beeswax.

Is there a canon for that?  Cool

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »

Saints Mary & Martha Orthodox Monastery is where I get mine from. Quality candles (for a very affordable price) :

This is where I've gotten my candles from too.  I get the skinny taper ones.  I've also bought them at church and brought them home.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »

I forgot to add. I have a short bonsai planter that i've filled with sand and put my candles in that.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »

Just curious--was the deceased taken out the door or through the window? In Siberia and Alaska (and I thought some parts of rural Ukraine and European Russia) this was the practice. And the mirrors were covered.
Through the door. But they cover all mirrors, too. And they also used to make a special coiled candle, about the length of the deceased, called "stat" ("stature"), that they put on a plate and was burning on the chest of the deceased.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »

I'm going to need this.
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »

Posted in error.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:55:57 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 07:25:10 PM »

Thanks, I just ordered some candles from them. I like to support monasteries.

I'm going to need this.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: