OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 06:04:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need to start a metal band...  (Read 901 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 28, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »

Gonna do covers of all the cheesy praise and worship songs that are floating around these days.  Gonna call the band "The Wages of Sin"

Whos in?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »

I always thought the song Awesome God would make an outstanding metal song if done by a cheesily-serious Manowar-esque type band. I've seen a couple attempts at this on youtube, but none of them really impressed me.

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:19:16 AM »

I always thought the song Awesome God would make an outstanding metal song if done by a cheesily-serious Manowar-esque type band. I've seen a couple attempts at this on youtube, but none of them really impressed me.

Speaking as someone who doesn't normally care for metal, I've long thought the same.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 03:53:27 AM »

More of a social conscious hip-hop guy myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUqLGRMrFAg

This is the type of music I like to make and work toward.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:35:18 PM »

Somehow I'm getting the idea that this isn't your idea of a metal band Cheesy.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 04:11:04 PM »

Gonna do covers of all the cheesy praise and worship songs that are floating around these days.  Gonna call the band "The Wages of Sin"

Whos in?

I would consider if we mined the Glory & Praise Hymnal, and we would have to make Papist do guest vocals.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »

Whos in?

I would consider if we mined the Glory & Praise Hymnal, and we would have to make Papist do guest vocals.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »

Somehow I'm getting the idea that this isn't your idea of a metal band Cheesy.

Not quite... but thats still pretty epic nonetheless!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 11:14:43 PM »

Gonna do covers of all the cheesy praise and worship songs that are floating around these days.  Gonna call the band "The Wages of Sin"

Whos in?

I'm in- so long as by "metal" we're talking about late '70s AC/DC type through Iron Maiden era.

Though it'll be hard to top Petra Praise: The Rock Cries Out- not be confused with later, crappier Petra Praises.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:15:17 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 11:58:55 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I am more than willing to collaborate on a genuine metal project, but like Hank Hill said about overtly Christian metal, "Your not making Christian music better, you're just making rock music worse."  Wink

Art is art, and labels are plastic.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 12:06:04 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I am more than willing to collaborate on a genuine metal project, but like Hank Hill said about overtly Christian metal, "Your not making Christian music better, you're just making rock music worse."  Wink

Art is art, and labels are plastic.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Very good point. 

"The Wages of Sin" just sounds so epic to me.  Gotta do something.  My old Christian metal band from high school was called Abednego.  You know, because we're Christians and that name is from the Bible.  Ha!  Terrible idea.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 12:34:54 AM »

Gonna have to go with Fr. Damick on this one: "When the world it is told that this is Christianity, it is no wonder that they easily turn away. The world's rock'n'roll is, quite simply, better rock'n'roll." (From his Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy podcast.)

But I guess if you're going to play awful praise songs, you might as well make them awfuler by making them with heavy metal guitars. Now, if you guys somehow get a cymbal and triangle in there...then I might give a second look...

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 12:55:33 AM »

Whos in?

hmm so basically the band's name is "death"?
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 01:11:27 AM »

Whos in?

King of close to Megadeth, huh?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 01:27:42 AM »

Some random thoughts...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:30:03 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 03:30:48 AM »

Metal sucks.

Don't do it.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 09:31:37 AM »

Whos in?

Pretty much! Thats so heavy sounding!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »

Whos in?

Thus the genre 'death metal' becomes 'wage of Sin metal'? 

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »

Whos in?

Actually Timon; speaking as a former 'metal head' back in the day that's a pretty good name for a band! Perhaps a little Gregorian chant fading into some a-minor power cords of the intro track 'Valley of darkness' ?

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »

Whos in?

Actually Timon; speaking as a former 'metal head' back in the day that's a pretty good name for a band! Perhaps a little Gregorian chant fading into some a-minor power cords of the intro track 'Valley of darkness' ?

I could totally appreciate that.  Then kick in with the heaviest, sludgiest breakdown ever.  DUN DUN DUN WEE WEE WEE!!!! Then blast beats and shreading until the next breakdown. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »

Whos in?

I could totally appreciate that.  Then kick in with the heaviest, sludgiest breakdown ever.  DUN DUN DUN WEE WEE WEE!!!! Then blast beats and shreading until the next breakdown. 

I'm with ya but let's get rid of the cheesy cover stuff and go all original! Perhaps a conceptual CD beginning with songs of our broken human nature, some good thrash metal reflecting temptation, repentance, and the struggle, and ending with the only tack done in a major key tittled anything along the lines of 'Eternal Warrior' or 'The ascention' or we can rip off Floyd and go with 'Great gig in the sky' lol

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »

or lets just be like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ir_QMCZ6s&feature=related (fast forward 40 seconds)

— Chrysostom

BLOG
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 03:33:14 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ir_QMCZ6s&feature=related (fast forward 40 seconds)

LOL Wow! Your suggesting changing the name to 'Possessed Confusion' then? 

Golgotha

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »

Peter Paul's Cheese Factory
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »

LOL Wow! Your suggesting changing the name to 'Possessed Confusion' then? 

Haha!! That was one of my favorite bands back in the day.  As you can tell, they didnt put much effort into trying to sound good live.  They just liked to break stuff.

Peter Paul's Cheese Factory

I like it!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: