Author Topic: Anyone going on OCMC mission trips this summer?  (Read 393 times)

Offline samkim

• High Elder
Anyone going on OCMC mission trips this summer?
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:24:32 AM »
Personally, I'm interested in Korea. Despite being Orthodox and Korean, I have only ever met one other Korean person who is Orthodox, and he like me converted in the USA.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:25:24 AM by samkim »
주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheist
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Anyone going on OCMC mission trips this summer?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29:01 AM »
I'm interested in Mexico, purely because it is my cultural background and I have never met another Mexican Orthodox Christian; they're all Roman Catholics, which is strange because my Mexican mother, although raised a Roman Catholic, became a Protestant in her teens.
Until I see the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, I will not believe.

Offline samkim

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:37:19 AM »
The funny thing about the Korean Orthodox Church is, all the faithful have Greek names (since the metropolitan is Greek and the metropolis is under the EC). So there's a strange group of folk in Korea named Andonios, Varsunuphios, Constantinos, etc.. It's pretty funny when you think about it.
주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.

Offline Alpo

• Dirty Finn
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Homofascists welcome
  • Jurisdiction: Bring your families
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:54 AM »
The funny thing about the Korean Orthodox Church is, all the faithful have Greek names (since the metropolitan is Greek and the metropolis is under the EC). So there's a strange group of folk in Korea named Andonios, Varsunuphios, Constantinos, etc.. It's pretty funny when you think about it.

That's how it has started everywhere. A little awkward at start but once people get used to that it becomes normal. I don't think "James" and "John" were regular names for Slavs and Celts either before their cultures were baptized.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34