Author Topic: Anyone going on OCMC mission trips this summer?  (Read 235 times)

Offline samkim

• High Elder
Anyone going on OCMC mission trips this summer?
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:24:32 AM »
Personally, I'm interested in Korea. Despite being Orthodox and Korean, I have only ever met one other Korean person who is Orthodox, and he like me converted in the USA.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:25:24 AM by samkim »
주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
Re: Anyone going on OCMC mission trips this summer?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29:01 AM »
I'm interested in Mexico, purely because it is my cultural background and I have never met another Mexican Orthodox Christian; they're all Roman Catholics, which is strange because my Mexican mother, although raised a Roman Catholic, became a Protestant in her teens.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline samkim

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:37:19 AM »
The funny thing about the Korean Orthodox Church is, all the faithful have Greek names (since the metropolitan is Greek and the metropolis is under the EC). So there's a strange group of folk in Korea named Andonios, Varsunuphios, Constantinos, etc.. It's pretty funny when you think about it.
주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:54 AM »
The funny thing about the Korean Orthodox Church is, all the faithful have Greek names (since the metropolitan is Greek and the metropolis is under the EC). So there's a strange group of folk in Korea named Andonios, Varsunuphios, Constantinos, etc.. It's pretty funny when you think about it.

That's how it has started everywhere. A little awkward at start but once people get used to that it becomes normal. I don't think "James" and "John" were regular names for Slavs and Celts either before their cultures were baptized.