OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 02:09:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone going on OCMC mission trips this summer?  (Read 198 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: May 01, 2012, 03:24:32 AM »

Personally, I'm interested in Korea. Despite being Orthodox and Korean, I have only ever met one other Korean person who is Orthodox, and he like me converted in the USA.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:25:24 AM by samkim » Logged

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29:01 AM »

I'm interested in Mexico, purely because it is my cultural background and I have never met another Mexican Orthodox Christian; they're all Roman Catholics, which is strange because my Mexican mother, although raised a Roman Catholic, became a Protestant in her teens.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:37:19 AM »

The funny thing about the Korean Orthodox Church is, all the faithful have Greek names (since the metropolitan is Greek and the metropolis is under the EC). So there's a strange group of folk in Korea named Andonios, Varsunuphios, Constantinos, etc.. It's pretty funny when you think about it.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:54 AM »

The funny thing about the Korean Orthodox Church is, all the faithful have Greek names (since the metropolitan is Greek and the metropolis is under the EC). So there's a strange group of folk in Korea named Andonios, Varsunuphios, Constantinos, etc.. It's pretty funny when you think about it.

That's how it has started everywhere. A little awkward at start but once people get used to that it becomes normal. I don't think "James" and "John" were regular names for Slavs and Celts either before their cultures were baptized.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: