OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 12:47:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Can I have my sister baptized without my Atheist father's permission?
Yes - 3 (23.1%)
No - 1 (7.7%)
Ask your Priest. - 9 (69.2%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptism Question Help Please!  (Read 965 times) Average Rating: 0
ThomasWW

Faith: Orthodox Convert
Jurisdiction: Greek Archdiocese of Denver

« on: April 26, 2012, 02:17:45 PM »

Bless you for reading this, pray for me. Christos Anesti!

I would like you to know first of all that I will be asking my parish priest this question very soon. With that being said I would like your input, as well as the spiritual advice of any clergy who reads this.

So here is the Situation:

I am 21 years old, Greek Orthodox. I have a little sister who is six years old, she is un-baptized. Unfortunately for the time being our Biological Father (please pray for him) is Atheist. The type of Atheist where he doesn't believe in God, but if he did; he wouldn't be Christian and especially not Orthodox. So much so does he revile the Church that he will not even cross the road that he knows the Orthodox Temple that his mother and I go to is on. And if we (my grandmother and I) even mention in the presence of Alexis (my little sister) anything to do with the Church or Christ he bursts out in anger and says the most insulting things imaginable right in front of Alexis.

By God's Grace, (Through much prayer) I have become the only available baby sitter for my sister, whereas the alternative would have been my aunt who is like minded to my father in terms of religion. The hefty price she required however for babysitting Alexis, made Dad more willing to accept me (who charges nothing) for the duty.

Dad made a point to instruct me in "what I am not to speak of around Alexis" But I do not care. I have made it a point to, early in the morning take her as soon as my dad leaves for work, to my Icon Corner and we pray the morning prayers. And before he returns I take her again to the Icons and we pray the evening prayers. I have taught her who Christ is, what he has done for us, what the church is, and a little background information from the old testament to tie it all together. She excepts all of this, she asks intelligent questions on the subjects and she does not speak of any of this to my father, even though I have not asked her to do so.

The current issue is this; how to get her baptized. My father who I have mentioned before is in very poor health and much pain, if anything happens to him Alexis would immediately go back into the custody of her mother who's love in life is the drink and nightlife, and reportedly sent Alexis back into my father's custody because CPS was called on her back in North Carolina.

I live not far from the Church, Is there any way that I can secretly take her to the Church to be baptized without my father's knowing? I am family to her, but can I not be her sponsor? Unfortunately there is no way I can get her to the Church on Saturday or Sunday.

Please send me your advice I love my sister, and I do not want her at indefinite odds for salvation.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:52:47 PM »

To be honest, baptising her won't do much good. She is not being raised in an Orthodox household so I do not even think your Priest would allow it. My Priest said that infants/children can be baptised because it is assumed that their parents will raise them in the faith. But catechumens like me have to go through this lengthy catechis because the Church itself has to raise us in the faith since our family won't be doing it. I assume it would be somewhat similar for your younger sister. The best would be if you or your grandmother could gain custody of your baby sister, then she could be raised in a religious environment.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:57:46 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ThomasWW

Faith: Orthodox Convert
Jurisdiction: Greek Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:36:32 PM »

Dear James R

I'm not sure I quite agree in reference to your comment that baptizing her wouldn't do any good. Remember that one cannot even enter the kingdom of heaven without first exiting the baptismal waters.

She will be raised in a Orthodox household, Dad wants nothing to do with her, we are practically raising her anyway. Many have had to abstain from sacramental life because of persecution (and this is a type of persecution). If worst came to worse I would fight the custody battle but not Grandmother, (for reasons not on topic).

I just want (in case something unforeseen happens) for Alexis to go to her judgment prepared.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:41:30 PM »

Dear James R

I'm not sure I quite agree in reference to your comment that baptizing her wouldn't do any good. Remember that one cannot even enter the kingdom of heaven without first exiting the baptismal waters.

She will be raised in a Orthodox household, Dad wants nothing to do with her, we are practically raising her anyway. Many have had to abstain from sacramental life because of persecution (and this is a type of persecution). If worst came to worse I would fight the custody battle but not Grandmother, (for reasons not on topic).

I just want (in case something unforeseen happens) for Alexis to go to her judgment prepared.

The Orthodox have never held the view that unbaptised babies/children do not enter the Kingdom of Heaven. But, still, I think that Baptising her will only make things harder and if your father finds out he may not let you see her at all. Very risky. Instead, you should keep praying for her and your father, do what you've been doing and wait for God to give you an opportunity. Or, if you really have the resources and you are willing, then you could try to gain custody of her, or possibly even convince your dad to let you take care of her without having to go through court and everything. You said he is very ill right? And, judging from what you are saying, it sounds like he does not really care for her. I don't see why he would really fight to keep her. Just ask him, even if it is for a few months. And maybe during those few months he will cave in and let you permanently adopt her.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »

If there is any question ever asked on this forum that deserves the answer 'talk to your priest', it is this one.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »

If there is any question ever asked on this forum that deserves the answer 'talk to your priest', it is this one.

In the case of anyone who is baptized )not just children), the congregation becomes a spiritual family. That is why, Witega's advice is so on point: You must talk to your priest.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:30:57 PM »

+1

Please do so!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 04:11:35 AM »

Alithos Anesti!

I've never seen anything on a Baptism certificate that required parental consent.  Of course, "talk to your priest," must be a part of this process, he may even consult with your bishop.  

But, I believe your sister will benefit from the Mystery of Holy Baptism, making her "a servant of God," her "name being inscribed into the Book of Life," being made "a child of [His] Kingdom," receiving "the Seal and Gift of the Holy Spirit," through Holy Chrismation, and her receipt of Holy Communion, "the Body and Blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, for Life Everlasting."

And my God bless you for your, unfortunately, covert efforts to inspire the Faith to your sister.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:23:15 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 05:36:19 AM »

talk to yr priest and ask him to baptise her.
if there are any problems, keep going until u find someone who says 'yes'.
some priests may be afraid of family problems, others aren't.
(i discovered this through one of my own experiences with a friend who needed chrismating)
may God guide and protect and bless u.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »

+1

Please do so!

+2
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 05:35:49 PM »

I would say to feel free to baptize her.  Just tell your atheist dad that it makes you happy to.  He may even say "go ahead".  If he is one of those types that hates Christianity and feels it indoctrinates etc., then you have a problem.   You may have to go stealth. Smiley

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags: family  Sister  Brother  Baptism  Dad  Atheist  Permission 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: