OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 06:39:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to take the next step...  (Read 884 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 26, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »

I think Im going to be able to visit the local OCA parish for the first time this weekend.  I dont know anyone there, except katherineofdixie from this forum goes there.  I dont know why I havent been more proactive about checking this place out.  Their website says they serve liturgy every day.  This would be helpful to me as someone who isnt always able to attend on Sundays.  I would like to try and set up a meeting with a priest and talk about my situation which I have shared on here before. 

Im hoping I would be able to take the next step even though I play in a Christian band that does a lot of work for protestant evangelical churches.  We are busy a couple nights out of the week, and also travel fairly often.  I love getting to make music with my best friends, and it is also my primary source of income so Im obviously not ready to give it up.  If I am able to attend liturgy regularly, and have an active life with this Church, do you think there would be any real conflicts with me working for these other Churches?  Note that Im not on staff at a church, just a contractor. 

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:50:44 AM »

I think Im going to be able to visit the local OCA parish for the first time this weekend.  I dont know anyone there, except katherineofdixie from this forum goes there.  I dont know why I havent been more proactive about checking this place out.  Their website says they serve liturgy every day.  This would be helpful to me as someone who isnt always able to attend on Sundays.  I would like to try and set up a meeting with a priest and talk about my situation which I have shared on here before. 

Im hoping I would be able to take the next step even though I play in a Christian band that does a lot of work for protestant evangelical churches.  We are busy a couple nights out of the week, and also travel fairly often.  I love getting to make music with my best friends, and it is also my primary source of income so Im obviously not ready to give it up.  If I am able to attend liturgy regularly, and have an active life with this Church, do you think there would be any real conflicts with me working for these other Churches?  Note that Im not on staff at a church, just a contractor. 

I think this issue came up not too long ago. IIRC, the big hiccup was if the church gave communion. I cant remember the thread, but if someone can hunt it down, it might give you some direction.

God bless you on going to this parish!

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »

I think Im going to be able to visit the local OCA parish for the first time this weekend.  I dont know anyone there, except katherineofdixie from this forum goes there. 

Then you will be OK as far as I am concerned.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »

I think this issue came up not too long ago. IIRC, the big hiccup was if the church gave communion. I cant remember the thread, but if someone can hunt it down, it might give you some direction.

God bless you on going to this parish!

PP

Most of these churches dont take communion. If they did, I wouldnt.  Also, 99% of what we do is for youth services, camps, events, etc.

And to clarify, Im not asking for permission to be Orthodox and protestant.  Just dont want to quit working with my band. 

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:43:42 PM »

Timon, are you a "worship leader" when you play church gigs?

Either way, right now you're taking the step of actually going to an Orthodox Church, which isn't dependent upon your affiliation or lack thereof.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:44:39 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »

Timon, are you a "worship leader" when you play church gigs?

Either way, right now you're taking the step of actually going to an Orthodox Church, which isn't dependent upon your affiliation or lack thereof.

I play guitar in a worship band.  So, yes and no I guess.  Im not the actual "worship leader." 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:00:55 PM »

Great point, and good to hear that you are taking this step, Timon.

Again, that parish seems great; keep us updated.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 01:08:04 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I was attending a Greek church, but havent been in a while.  I loved it there, but a lot of the service was in Greek.  I have been wanting to check out this OCA church for a while now because I want to understand the whole liturgy.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 01:12:35 PM »

I play guitar in a worship band.  So, yes and no I guess.  Im not the actual "worship leader."  
I have a few friends who are musicians who rotate churches in the Seattle area. Sounds similar.

If/when you choose to be baptised and/or chrismated, that could be an issue, since you're essentially a rotating clergy member in another church (in some Emergent/ evangelical churches, members of the worship team are sort of like deacons) Then again, there are members of my choir who sing occasionally in protestant churches and RC churches. They are permitted to do so without any drama.

In any case, Timon, I wouldn't worry about that now. The priest isn't gonna have contracts waiting for you to sign when you walk in the nave.  Wink

And, uh, if he does, I'd run.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:13:29 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 01:21:50 PM »

I play guitar in a worship band.  So, yes and no I guess.  Im not the actual "worship leader." 
I have a few friends who are musicians who rotate churches in the Seattle area. Sounds similar.

If/when you choose to be baptised and/or chrismated, that could be an issue, since you're essentially a rotating clergy member in another church (in some Emergent/ evangelical churches, members of the worship team are sort of like deacons) Then again, there are members of my choir who sing occasionally in protestant churches and RC churches. They are permitted to do so without any drama.

Its probably very similar.  I know Seattle has its share of huge churches like Atlanta does.  And again, im not wanting to be Orthodox and protestant.  I just love the community of musicians that I get to work with, and I'd hate to abandon it.  Especially when Im not sure it would even be necessary. The example of members of your choir singing in other churches is comforting.  It seems to be the exact same thing.  And in my particular circle, I have never been regarded as clergy/deacon/etc. 

In any case, Timon, I wouldn't worry about that now. The priest isn't gonna have contracts waiting for you to sign when you walk in the nave.  Wink

Oh I know.  Priests usually arent in a hurry when it comes to this stuff, which is fine.  The other Greek priest i met with told me to keep doing what I was doing because it was what I loved and its how I provide for my family.  He seemed to be ok with it, but we also didnt talk about me becoming a catechumen or anything. 

I guess at the end of the day, I just need to discuss it with whoever my future priest will be.  I guess they will make the call.  If anyone else has dealt with anything similar, feel free to chime in.

Yes, it does sound very similar. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 02:25:37 PM »

Though I blush to admit it now, in my misspent years, I was a member of the worship team in my former church. (Those photos of me wielding a tambourine, however, are photoshopped, and not true.) Grin
My experience was that once I attended a Divine Liturgy, worship and music in other churches paled by comparison, and I was dissatisfied with anything else. I always tell people that the experience was like listening to Bach on a cassette recorder all my life and finally hearing it in person, played by a world-class symphony orchestra in a hall with perfectly incredible acoustics.

(P.S. If you come on Sunday, I'm usually on the choir side toward the back, or you can just ask Tommy, our wonderful self-appointed greeter-for-life.)

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 02:27:06 PM »

I think Im going to be able to visit the local OCA parish for the first time this weekend.  I dont know anyone there, except katherineofdixie from this forum goes there. 

Then you will be OK as far as I am concerned.

Well, aren't you the sweetest thing! Kiss

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 08:07:46 PM »

Though I blush to admit it now, in my misspent years, I was a member of the worship team in my former church. (Those photos of me wielding a tambourine, however, are photoshopped, and not true.) Grin
My experience was that once I attended a Divine Liturgy, worship and music in other churches paled by comparison, and I was dissatisfied with anything else. I always tell people that the experience was like listening to Bach on a cassette recorder all my life and finally hearing it in person, played by a world-class symphony orchestra in a hall with perfectly incredible acoustics.

(P.S. If you come on Sunday, I'm usually on the choir side toward the back, or you can just ask Tommy, our wonderful self-appointed greeter-for-life.)

I can agree with that. Nothing compares to the DL.  And im certainly not trying to rival it.  But I do enjoy playing music with my friends for middle and high schoolers.  And while the worship style isnt Orthodox, I pray every day that the kids somehow encounter God through all the distractions.

I guess I personally dont mind the "cool" and "hip" music for kids.  Theyre different, and it can be tougher to hold their attention.  I dont, however, think that these types of youth services should replace any Eucharistic liturgy.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »

Katherine, were you there this morning??  I was hoping to meet you, but I had to leave right after they introduced my wife and I to the parish.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the liturgy there.  That was my first DL entirely in English.  My wife came with me, and shes not quite as comfortable with the whole Orthodox thing yet, so we kind of just stood in the back and watched for the most part.  It was really funny though when the usher at the door invited us to receive a blessing from the priest during communion.  When he held the chalice up for my wife, she had no idea she was supposed to kiss it.  I was laughing on the inside, because she looked kinda awkward... Ha! 

But I was relieved to hear that she kinda liked the liturgy overall.  Her quote was, in a positive tone, "I actually didnt hate it!"  When I took her to vespers at the Greek parish, she didnt care for it at all.  Im still not going to rush anything with her, but I was glad to hear that she had a positive experience. 

I do plan to attend when I can on Sundays (which wont be often right now) but Im going to try and go on Saturdays instead.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 07:54:40 AM »

Most of these churches dont take communion.

In what sense are they churches?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »

Katherine, were you there this morning??  I was hoping to meet you, but I had to leave right after they introduced my wife and I to the parish.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the liturgy there.  That was my first DL entirely in English.  My wife came with me, and shes not quite as comfortable with the whole Orthodox thing yet, so we kind of just stood in the back and watched for the most part.  It was really funny though when the usher at the door invited us to receive a blessing from the priest during communion.  When he held the chalice up for my wife, she had no idea she was supposed to kiss it.  I was laughing on the inside, because she looked kinda awkward... Ha! 

But I was relieved to hear that she kinda liked the liturgy overall.  Her quote was, in a positive tone, "I actually didnt hate it!"  When I took her to vespers at the Greek parish, she didnt care for it at all.  Im still not going to rush anything with her, but I was glad to hear that she had a positive experience. 

I do plan to attend when I can on Sundays (which wont be often right now) but Im going to try and go on Saturdays instead.

Sounds good!  Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:03 AM »

Most of these churches dont take communion.

In what sense are they churches?

Because they have a live rock band and funny preacher.

But seriously, the way I worded that was a little harsh I guess.  They do take it, but its extremely rare.  I once worked at a Church for over 2 years and we took communion 2 times during that whole span.  Some churches have special "communion services" once every few months or so.

I guess the point was that if I converted, I wouldnt have to worry about taking communion in any of these other Churches I work in with my band.  It has actually only happened once ever and I just respectfully declined.  

— Chrysostom

BLOG
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 11:26:18 AM »

Hi Timon - yes, I was there. When they introduced you and your wife, I wondered if that was you, but then you disappeared and I couldn't find you!
Too bad you had to leave. We had a wonderful lunch - quiche and salad and homemade chocolate chip cookies!

(P.S. one of my husband's co-workers, who has never attended a liturgical service of any kind, was visiting also. At one point during the Liturgy, she looked at me and said with amazement, "but it's all just straight from the Bible!!!" I replied, "yeah, you know, that whole Bible thing? That was us!" Grin)

St. John Chrysostom
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »

I guess the point was that if I converted, I wouldnt have to worry about taking communion in any of these other Churches I work in with my band. It has actually only happened once ever and I just respectfully declined. 

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, and that your wife didn't completely hate it! It's improvement. Wink

As far as the above, it's gonna happen as long as you continue to have Protestants as friends. I once had turn to refuse communion at one of my best friend's weddings (it was actually a nice liturgical wedding (with essentially replaced the Liturgy of the Word) and was ended with communion (which was more-or-less a shorter form of our Liturgy of the Eucharist). It was probably my favorite wedding service I'd seen done by Protestants...ever. I don't think my friends took it too hard, because they knew I was Orthodox...it was still an interesting occurrence.

Oh, and did I mention I was a groomsman? Wink

(P.S. one of my husband's co-workers, who has never attended a liturgical service of any kind, was visiting also. At one point during the Liturgy, she looked at me and said with amazement, "but it's all just straight from the Bible!!!" I replied, "yeah, you know, that whole Bible thing? That was us!" Grin)

Heheh, I love making that point! Grin

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: