OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 04:53:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High Profile Orthodox People?  (Read 4771 times) Average Rating: 0
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« on: April 26, 2012, 11:10:21 AM »

I guess I’m posting this in the right place? It’s obviously a light hearted question but a real inquiry. . .

At the very least I have come to respect and appreciate Orthodoxy. Honestly, it would be a profound respect at the very least. That certainly would include OC.net and the many people that post here. I feel humbled to take part. I would not however, accuse the Orthodox of being a high profile Church. I have read that there are some in the Hollywood crowd that supposedly claim the Orthodox faith, but, are not exactly ‘practicing’ Orthodox shall we say. I am wondering how you all feel about a high profile guy like Troy Polamalu of the Pittsburgh Steelers that by all accounts is a very devout faith based man?

Ironically, or not, it was a football article that talked about Polamalu and mentioned his Orthodox faith that inspired me to find out what exactly an Orthodox Christian was. One thing leading to the next and here we are. Thus, I ask the question for if I were not a Steeler fan, and if Polamalu was not an outspoken Orthodox, I very well still might not know anything of Orthodoxy. 

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »

I guess I’m posting this in the right place? It’s obviously a light hearted question but a real inquiry. . .

At the very least I have come to respect and appreciate Orthodoxy. Honestly, it would be a profound respect at the very least. That certainly would include OC.net and the many people that post here. I feel humbled to take part. I would not however, accuse the Orthodox of being a high profile Church. I have read that there are some in the Hollywood crowd that supposedly claim the Orthodox faith, but, are not exactly ‘practicing’ Orthodox shall we say. I am wondering how you all feel about a high profile guy like Troy Polamalu of the Pittsburgh Steelers that by all accounts is a very devout faith based man?

Ironically, or not, it was a football article that talked about Polamalu and mentioned his Orthodox faith that inspired me to find out what exactly an Orthodox Christian was. One thing leading to the next and here we are. Thus, I ask the question for if I were not a Steeler fan, and if Polamalu was not an outspoken Orthodox, I very well still might not know anything of Orthodoxy. 

I think its awesome that a high profile guy like himself is causing more awareness of Orthodoxy.  He seems, at least to this point, to be representing it rather well.  Havent heard of him getting arrested, shooting someone, or getting a DUI yet. 

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »

Phew the ochlophobist once brilliantly  expressed my feelings too about that guy. Hopefully he's gonna fall into some more egregious sin. That would help.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »

I have read that there are some in the Hollywood crowd that supposedly claim the Orthodox faith, but, are not exactly ‘practicing’ Orthodox shall we say.
Define practicing.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »

Phew the ochlophobist once brilliantly  expressed my feelings too about that guy. Hopefully he's gonna fall into some more egregious sin. That would help.
Huh

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »

I have read that there are some in the Hollywood crowd that supposedly claim the Orthodox faith, but, are not exactly ‘practicing’ Orthodox shall we say.
Define practicing.

I'm politely trying to say 'does not really live the faith'.   

alanscott
Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 11:55:34 AM »

I think its awesome that a high profile guy like himself is causing more awareness of Orthodoxy.  He seems, at least to this point, to be representing it rather well.  Havent heard of him getting arrested, shooting someone, or getting a DUI yet. 

LOL no I'm not aware he has done any of that. If you have never heard him speak on faith I saw something on youtube once. Certainly came across as a man of peace, grace, and wisdom.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »

Define practicing.

Define live the faith.

For some, that means going to church a few times a year and maybe taking communion.

For others, it means avoiding going to Jewish doctors, wearing a prayer rope and going to daily vespers and only communing after confession in an old calendar church with no pews that faces east, doesn’t have an Old Man Trinity icon, doesn’t use an organ and has a priest with a beard down to his knees who doesn’t speak English.

For others, it means something in the middle.

For others, it means something in the middle, but you have to be a Manhattan Declarationist as well.

Occasionally, Christ factors into all of this.

Lives the faith is a wide term in Netodoxy.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »

LOL no I'm not aware he has done any of that. If you have never heard him speak on faith I saw something on youtube once. Certainly came across as a man of peace, grace, and wisdom.
That's because he has acquired peace and now thousands around him are being saved
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »

Absolutely.  I think extremely highly of the guy.  Im a falcons fan, but I dont particularly have anything against the steelers either. Smiley

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »

Absolutely.  I think extremely highly of the guy.  Im a falcons fan, but I dont particularly have anything against the steelers either. Smiley

Well, I'll of course take a falcon over a raven any day!  Wink

alanscott
Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 01:23:25 PM »

That's because he has acquired peace and now thousands around him are being saved

Browns fan by any chance?  Smiley

alanscott
Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 01:26:16 PM »

Define practicing.

Define live the faith.

For some, that means going to church a few times a year and maybe taking communion.

For others, it means avoiding going to Jewish doctors, wearing a prayer rope and going to daily vespers and only communing after confession in an old calendar church with no pews that faces east, doesn’t have an Old Man Trinity icon, doesn’t use an organ and has a priest with a beard down to his knees who doesn’t speak English.

For others, it means something in the middle.

For others, it means something in the middle, but you have to be a Manhattan Declarationist as well.

Occasionally, Christ factors into all of this.

Lives the faith is a wide term in Netodoxy.

O.K. then! For the sake of this light hearted conversation lets say the 'something in the middle' without the Manhattan Declarationist.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »

Browns fan by any chance?  Smiley

I am so glad you have caught onto Augustin717's shtick. Wink

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »

I love Troy. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Steelers fan. Ok, well that probably plays a part, but I have no problem calling out Steelers/Penguins/That-Baseball-Team players. But from what I've seen Troy is a humble guy, and well respected. Even saints have their detractors (not that I'm implying that we should be making icons of Troy... hmm... no, no, that's just silly... then again... no wait, don't!)  Living here in Steeler country I see Troy crossing himself every week during football season, and routinely see newspaper articles about him... he is publically representing Orthodoxy, but without being pushy about it.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 03:12:16 PM »

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eastern_Orthodox_Christians

Artists

Angela 'Flossie' Biesiada - AAMB Toobah
Andrei Rublev – Important in the history of Russian Iconography
Dionisius – Headed a school of icon painting
El Greco – From Crete, noted for Christian art
Feofan Grek – Noted iconographer
Boris Kustodiev Russian artist known for depictions of Russian Orthodox people and culture
Jerzy Nowosielski – Famous Polish painter, noted for his numerous works of Byzantine influenced religious art
Karl Matzek – Convert from Catholicism who did religious art for the faith
Prokhor – Icon painter
Toros Roslin – An Armenian of Oriental Orthodoxy, but some of his works are Byzantine-influenced
Simon Ushakov – A leading religious artist linked to the reforms of Patriarch Nikon
Roy Marten – An Indonesian Artist
Holly Valance – Singer and model
Valentin Alexandrovich Serov – a Russian painter, and one of the premier portrait artists of his era.

Athletes

Dimitar Berbatov – Football player
Haile Gebrselassie – Runner
Kenenisa Bekele - Runner
Oksana Baiul - Figure Skating
Dejan Bodiroga - Basketball Player
Dwyane Wade - Basketball Player
Anna Chakvetadze - Tennis Player
Tirunesh Dibaba - Runner
Abebe Bikila - runner
Elena Dementieva - Tennis Player
Novak Đoković - Tennis Player
Daniel Nestor - Tennis Player
Nadia Comăneci - Gymnast
Vlade Divac - Basketball Player
Pete Maravich - Basketball Player
Meseret Defar - Runner
Dragan Džajić - Football Player
Aleksandar Đorđević - Basketball Player
Jeff George - Former NFL Quarterback
Alex Holmes - Football Player
Ana Ivanović - Tennis Player
Jelena Janković - Tennis Player
Jaromír Jágr - Former NHL Hockey Player (mostly Pittsburgh Penguins). Russian Orthodox. Converted - is from Czech Republic.
Vladimir Jugović - Football Player
Victoria Azarenka - Tennis Player
Yevgeny Kafelnikov - Tennis Player
Andrei Kirilenko - Basketball Player
Anna Kournikova - Tennis Player
Svetlana Kuznetsova - Tennis Player
Siniša Mihajlović - Football Player
Predrag Mijatović - Football Player
Anastasia Myskina - Tennis Player
Ilie Năstase - Tennis Player
Darko Pančev - Football Player
Troy Polamalu - Football Player
Alex Rodriguez - Baseball Player
Pete Sampras - Tennis player
Dejan Savićević - Football player
Dragoslav Šekularac - Football player
Maria Sharapova - Tennis player
Andriy Shevchenko - Football player
Irina Slutskaya - Figure skater
Dejan Stanković - Football player
Predrag Stojaković - Basketball player
Dragan Stojković - Football player
Nemanja Vidić - Football player
Lev Yashin - Football player
Theodoros Zagorakis - Football player
Sergei Gonchar - Hockey player
Evgeni Malkin - NHL hockey player with Pittsburgh Penguins
Gheorghe Hagi - Football player
Cristian Chivu - Football player
Adrian Mutu - Football player
Gheorghe Popescu - Football player
Evan Lysacek - Figure skater

Entrepreneurs/Industrialists

Gus S. Dolianitis, Danville, VA
Elaine Pristouris (Greek Orthodox) Vienna, VA

Entertainers

F. Murray Abraham, former Syrian Orthodox altar boy
John Belushi, Member of the Albanian Orthodox Church in childhood; his funeral was in that faith
James Belushi, Member of the Albanian Orthodox Church, John's brother.
Charles Bronson, former Russian Orthodox, son of a Kryashen.
George Chakiris - Contributor to a Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Sandra Dee - (birth name: Alexandra Cymboliak Zuck). One time wife of Bobby Darin. Raised Russian Orthodox in New Jersey. Her mother was of Carpathian Russian ancestry.
Jamie Farr - M*A*S*H* Actor (Klinger, the one who wore dresses). Raised Antiochian Orthodox in Toledo Ohio - is of Syrian/ Lebanese Ancestry.
Tina Fey - Greek-American on her mother's side and married in a Greek Orthodox wedding.
Zach Galifianakis - Baptized at St. Barbara's Greek Orthodox Church in Durham, NC
Tom Hanks - Converted on marrying Rita Wilson, mention by Saint Sophia Cathedral, Los Angeles.
Melina Kanakaredes - St. Nicholas's Greek Orthodox Church listed her as a possible speaker, credits the church as helpful to her in youth.
Elia Kazan - The director. Born to Greek parents who immigrated from the Ottoman Empire to the United States.
Emir Kusturica - Serbian Orthodox. Raised in a Bosnian Muslim Family. His conversion gained some media attention.
Larry Lindale - Actor (also an Historian). Russian Orthodox - converted from Presbyterian Church. Reportedly has Russian Ancestry.
Karl Malden (Mladen Sekulovich) was said to have been Serbian Orthodox.
Constantine Maroulis - Greek Orthodox, brother of Athan Maroulis
Debbie Matenopoulos
Christopher Orr - convert from Lutheranism
Christopher Sarantakos "Criss Angel", American of Greek descent. Can be seen crossing himself in an Orthodox manner during his shows, however it is unknown if he is a practicing Orthodox Christian.
Telly Savalas - Contributed to Greek Orthodox Cathedrals and his bald image began after playing Pontius Pilate
Amy Sedaris - American actress, author and comedian
Nia Vardalos Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church site
Rita Wilson
Lana Wood - (birth name: Svetlana Gurdin - family name changed from Zakharenko). Russian Orthodox actress - sister of Natalie Wood.
Natalia Nikolaevna Zakharenko - Russian Orthodox actress known as Natalie Wood.

Musicians/Composers

Maksym Berezovsky - Known for religious music
Dmytro Bortniansky - Religious music.
Bill Evans
David Gahan - English lead singer for Depeche Mode, converted to Greek Orthodox Christianity to marry his current wife Jennifer.
Constance Geanakoplos, Concert pianist
Chris Hillman - original member of The Byrds
Lena Katina - Member of Russian music group t.A.T.u.
Boris Ledkovsky - Russian-American composer of Church music
Bob Marley - was baptized by the Archbishop of the Ethiopian Orthodox Christian Church in Kingston, Jamaica, on November 4, 1980
George Michael - celebrity pop singer, a Greek-Cypriote.
Dimitris Mitropoulos - Conductor, pianist and composer. Music Director of the New York Philharmonic and the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra.
Stevan Stojanović Mokranjac - one of the most famous Serbian composers and music educators of the nineteenth century.
Lauryn Hill - Baptized into the Ethiopian Orthodox Church with the name "Fikerte Maryam"
Inva Mula - Albanian Orthodox, famous opera singer.
Arvo Pärt - known for religious music, convert from Lutheranism
Tose Proeski - Macedonian pop singer
Sergei Rachmaninoff
Mstislav Rostropovich - Conductor, National Symphony, Cellist
Thomas Simaku - Albanian Orthodox, famous composer.
Igor Stravinsky - Left the faith from 1900 to 1926, after rejoining he did Symphony of Psalms.
John Tavener - Converted to Orthodoxy, and much of his music is influenced by that. He is now often said to be Universalist or Perrenialist, although he himself says that he remains Orthodox.
Julia Volkova Member of Russian music group t.A.T.u
Stephen M. Wolownik - Church music early on
Steven Delopoulos - Folk singer/songwriter, lead singer for Burlap to Cashmere
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - a Russian composer of the Romantic era. His wide ranging output includes symphonies, operas, ballets, instrumental and chamber music and songs.

Historians

Demetrios Constantelos - professor of history and religious studies, Richard Stockton College, Pomona, New Jersey
Deno John Geanakopoulos - Byzantine and Italian Renaissance historian
George Pachymeres - Byzantine chief advocate of the church
Avraamy Palitsyn - Russian historian who died at the Solovetsky Monastery
Jaroslav Pelikan - professor of ecclesiastical history, Yale University
Nicephorus Callistus Xanthopoulos - Byzantine ecclesiastical historian
John Xiphilinus
Joannes Zonaras
Nikolay Yakovlevich Danilevsky

Journalists

Ernie Anastos - New York television anchor
Daria Albinger - ABC Radio News correspondent
Thalia Assuras - CBS News anchor
Steve Chiotakis - Marketplace Morning Report anchor and former host on WBHM, Birmingham, Alabama
Alexis Christoforous - CBS News anchor / correspondent
Chris Clark - retired news anchor, WTVF, Nashville, Tennessee
Dimitra DeFotis - Barron's staff writer
Rod Dreher - Dallas Morning News columnist, "Crunchy Con" blog
Mike Emanuel - Fox News White House Correspondent
Vicki Liviakis - San Francisco television news anchor
Terry Mattingly - syndicated columnist
Serge Schmemann - International Herald Tribune writer/editor
George Stephanopoulos - ABC News chief Washington correspondent; a former altar boy, and son of a priest.

Linguists

Nikita Yakovlevich Bichurin - Russian Orthodox Church monk and Sinologist
Saint Innocent of Alaska - Wrote books on Tlingit and worked on an alphabet for Aleut
Pyotr Kafarov - Student of Bichurin, also a Sinologist and ROC monk
Mateja Matejić - Priest in the Serbian Orthodox Church
Alexander Nedoshivin - Russian Orthodox Church priest and Esperantist
Epifany Slavinetsky - Polyglot, Russian Orthodox Church monk, and translator
Bullion Pritchard - Translated manuscripts for Leopold II

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 03:28:59 PM »

I love Troy. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Steelers fan. Ok, well that probably plays a part, but I have no problem calling out Steelers/Penguins/That-Baseball-Team players. But from what I've seen Troy is a humble guy, and well respected. Even saints have their detractors (not that I'm implying that we should be making icons of Troy... hmm... no, no, that's just silly... then again... no wait, don't!)  Living here in Steeler country I see Troy crossing himself every week during football season, and routinely see newspaper articles about him... he is publically representing Orthodoxy, but without being pushy about it.

Lol… O.K. even I as a non Orthodox know you can’t make an icon of him! You can buy one of those bobble head dolls though…  Grin

Sounds like you’re in the Pittsburgh area.  I’m originally from across the river Weirton W.V.

Yea, I have never heard him get pushy or self righteous about his faith at all. I fear sometimes when public figures do so it may do more harm than good. I would think Troy is a positive for Orthodoxy, but was just wondering what you all thought.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: