OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 01:45:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toronto church looking for minister to preserve Welsh culture  (Read 968 times) Average Rating: 0
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »

After a fruitless 11-month search, Canada’s last remaining Welsh church is finding it harder than expected to find a minister who can speak Welsh.

“It’s a very shallow pond,” said Betty Cullingworth, a member of the congregation at Dewi Sant Welsh United Church, North America’s only Welsh-language church, in north Toronto.

I thought this was interesting, a taste of the issues we could have in ethnic parishes if they weren't able to track down priests in the old country, or current seminarians were resistant to learning the language and supporting culture as perhaps parishioners might wish.

(Sorry about the thread title, which sounds a tad pitch-y.)

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:56:26 PM »

After a fruitless 11-month search, Canada’s last remaining Welsh church is finding it harder than expected to find a minister who can speak Welsh.

“It’s a very shallow pond,” said Betty Cullingworth, a member of the congregation at Dewi Sant Welsh United Church, North America’s only Welsh-language church, in north Toronto.

I thought this was interesting, a taste of the issues we could have in ethnic parishes if they weren't able to track down priests in the old country, or current seminarians were resistant to learning the language and supporting culture as perhaps parishioners might wish.

Will they accept a minister who is willing to learn Welsh?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:59:29 PM »

Will they accept a minister who is willing to learn Welsh?

While I am not certain, I wouldn't imagine they would be willing to take in a minister and give him several years to pick up the language. In my Ukrainian church, you wouldn't get anywhere near the diaconate without having a certain level of Ukrainian--I would not be surprised if that was the situation here.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ThePilgrim

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:51:02 PM »

Wel, byddwn i'n cytuno i fod eu offeriad newydd nhw, os maen nhw'n cytuno i ymuno'r Eglwys Uniongred ;-)

Well, I would agree to be their priest if they agree to join the Orthodox Church.

Tad/Father John
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »

Wel, byddwn i'n cytuno i fod eu offeriad newydd nhw, os maen nhw'n cytuno i ymuno'r Eglwys Uniongred ;-)

Well, I would agree to be their priest if they agree to join the Orthodox Church.

Tad/Father John
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ThePilgrim

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »

Tad/Father John
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Wyt ti'n siarad Cymraeg yn wir?  Yn anffodus, pan ti'n postio rhwybeth yma, rhaid i ti bostio fo yn Saesneg, hefyd.

(Do you really speak Welsh?  Unfortunately, when you post something here, you need to post it in English, too).

O leia, dyna beth naethon nhw ddweud i fi pan nes i bostio yn Wcreineg heb Saesneg.

(At least, that's what they told me when I wrote in Ukrainian without an English translation).

Tad Ioan
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:41:27 PM »

Tad/Father John
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Wyt ti'n siarad Cymraeg yn wir?  Yn anffodus, pan ti'n postio rhwybeth yma, rhaid i ti bostio fo yn Saesneg, hefyd.

(Do you really speak Welsh?  Unfortunately, when you post something here, you need to post it in English, too).

O leia, dyna beth naethon nhw ddweud i fi pan nes i bostio yn Wcreineg heb Saesneg.

(At least, that's what they told me when I wrote in Ukrainian without an English translation).

Tad Ioan
I'm on the long path of learning Welsh. That's all I know so far. :-)

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ThePilgrim

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:42:31 PM »

Tad/Father John
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Tad Ioan

I could help you.  Some methods are a lot better than others. :-)
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »

Tad/Father John
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Tad Ioan

I'd be interesting in learning Welsh as well. Smiley

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 08:33:44 PM »

I just realized that Rosetta Stone discontinued their Welsh program.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 12:11:01 AM »

I just realized that Rosetta Stone discontinued their Welsh program.

Teach Yourself still makes one.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

spcasuncoast.org
ThePilgrim

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 03:00:13 PM »

"Say Something in Welsh" is far and away, hands down, the best and easiest way of learning Welsh.  The lessons are clear and effective, the support on the forums is wonderful, and the people involved in making the course are very friendly.  Using their courses, you will end up actually speaking Welsh, fluently and correctly.

As a speaker of 7-10+ languages (depending on the level), this is the best language learning system I have found so far, and the only one that beats out the Pimsleur.

They have both a North Welsh and a South Welsh course: http://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/index.php

In Christ,
Fr. John
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »

You should get in touch with them Fr. John - perhaps they could join the Archdiocese's Western Rites Vicariate :-).

Tad/Father John

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »

"Say Something in Welsh" is far and away, hands down, the best and easiest way of learning Welsh.  The lessons are clear and effective, the support on the forums is wonderful, and the people involved in making the course are very friendly.  Using their courses, you will end up actually speaking Welsh, fluently and correctly.

As a speaker of 7-10+ languages (depending on the level), this is the best language learning system I have found so far, and the only one that beats out the Pimsleur.

They have both a North Welsh and a South Welsh course: http://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/index.php

In Christ,
Fr. John

I had bookmarked this site sometime ago--thanks for the ringing endorsement, I'll take another look!

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »

Tad/Father John
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Tad Ioan

This is why there's a foreign language board! 

Here is the link to the "other languages" board on the forum.  feel free to strike up a conversation!   

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/board,32.0.html

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 05:26:25 PM »

My gosh, and here I thought Welsh was a dead language.  I am glad it's not though,  people should know their own language...Hmmm! And here I thought English dominated the British Isles? Huh
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »

And here I thought English dominated the British Isles? Huh
God forfend!

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: