OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 11:48:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Armenia envoy: Denial as bad as genocide  (Read 470 times) Average Rating: 0
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« on: April 24, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »

Armenia envoy: Denial as bad as genocide
By Van Meguerditchian, The Daily Star, April 24, 2012 01:55 AM

RABIEH, Lebanon: The denial of genocide and other crimes against humanity should itself be considered a continuation of that crime, Armenia’s envoy to Lebanon said Monday.

Speaking on the eve of the 97th anniversary of the beginning of the Armenian genocide, Ambassador Ashot Kocharian said that

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Politics/2012/Apr-24/171188-armenia-envoy-denial-as-bad-as-genocide.ashx

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »

Well, I am sure my grandfather would probably get upset by Holocaust deniers if he were still alive.

But I think he would agree denying the existence of the wholesale termination of his family and the attempt to exterminate him is a lot better than the reality of it happening still.

Really such statements are simply sick.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:06:08 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »

Not really sure of your point. It's very clear to me the gentleman is refering to a particular nation not any one person.

It's one thing for some kook to deny the Holocaust, but would be another matter altogether for Germany to deny it & strong arm any other nation from acknowledging it.

In Germany these nuts would be called "neo-nazis" and be treated as pariahs, in Turkey they're mainstream opinion, big difference:

Ankara's Allies Mocking Armenian Genocide Mourners - 4/24/2012

http://youtu.be/lV9r5CFi7lc

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »

Indeed. Remember the strange case of famous writer Orhan Pamuk, convicted last year of "insulting Turkishness" for acknowledging in writing in 2005 that the Armenian genocide really happened

Turkey are such a bunch of babies. Criminalizing history so that they won't have to own up to their brutal, genocidal past (as Germany has with regard to their holocaust, as America largely has with regard to its treatment of Native Americans, as Rwanda has with regard to its genocide, etc). If it were not for the ancient Christian sites and vanishingly small communities of non-Muslim minorities there, I would not mind if the entire sorry excuse for a nation were to sink into the sea, and the proud, nationalistic ethnic Turks be sent back to live with their ancestors the Mongolians.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »

Not really sure of your point.

This is obviously. As is dzheremi.

The banalities of political achievement pale in comparison to real human suffering and loss.

The fact neither of you are able to get that shows you have never been around the latter.

To equate political statements with mass murder in terms of their pain is insane.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 05:58:34 PM »

I love reading Hurriyet the Turkish newspaper, and I have a favorite writer who I fear is going to end up in  prison.  His sarcasm towards the New Ottomans: Erdogan and Devotoglu is  brilliant, but he is the exception.   To the Turks, the Armenians and Cypriots are the enemy who are out to hurt them.  Lot's of repentance there for their actions, but then again there is a lot of government spin.  My favorite writer is the only one with  the courage to call things as they are, except maybe for the hundred or so in Turkish jails.  Huh

I was annoyed yesterday at an article saying that the Greeks accused Turkey for their illegal refugee problem, and then to affirm to their readers the ridiculousness of the accusation, they had a picture of a black refugee when blacks are rare among the four hundred thousand Pakistanis, Afghans, Kurds, that are in Greece; sent over courtesy of the Turks of course.  Hmmm!  I guess they want the readers to believe these refugees are flying in from Somalia?   Undecided

Sometimes I wonder if the Turks picked up these newspaper spins from us, especially in the way they named the rebel group they  organized: 'Friends of Syria', when in reality they are  friends of nine percent of the Syrians and enemies  of all the rest.    Wink

It seems Erdogan and Devotoglu are creating trouble everywhere.  They secretly support the Dagestani terrorists in Russia, and Russia is well aware of it.  They have been accused by Iraq of fomenting trouble, and were even told  by Clinton to butt out.  They created an incident with Israel so as to make them  their enemy, and even threatened Cyprus to the extent that Russia sent it's warships as a warning and more recently the U.S. held war games with Israel and Greece...again as a warning.  They are also on the outs with Iran and on and on it goes. Roll Eyes

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 07:59:11 PM »

They secretly support the Dagestani terrorists in Russia, and Russia is well aware of it.

I am unfamiliar with this. Can you cite a newspaper article about this? If not, anything by Amy Goodman will suffice.

Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »

I am unfamiliar with this. Can you cite a newspaper article about this? If not, anything by Amy Goodman will suffice

I'm almost positive Russia is aware that the Dagestani terrorists and their desire for the  Kavkaz Emirate are supported by Turkey. ..albeit discreetly in the same way they know  the rebels in Syria are supported by Turkey.   There are a lot of Dagestani in the Turkish diaspora and Turkey's foreign minister Devotoglu made reference towards a renewal of the Ottoman Empire which would include the Caucasus and the Balkans during a speech in Bosnia.  It shocked quite a few people

Authorities believe a Turkish "mercenary" identified as "Sheikh Abdusalam" has likely been picked by Dagestani fighters to replace Ibragim Khalil Daudov, Amir of the Dagestani Front, killed earlier this week (see RETWA reporting). Abdusalam was Daudov's deputy. Life News reports that Abdusalam underwent training at a camp for terrorists in Turkey and came to the North Caucasus five years ago.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/02/russian_forces_kill_caucasus_e.php

Tags: Armenian Genocide 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: