OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:50:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Jewish Value Survey: Jews Favor Muslims, Mormons Over 'Christian Right'  (Read 563 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: April 24, 2012, 11:48:17 PM »

Jewish Americans hold more favorable views of Mormons and Muslims than those belonging to the "Christian Right," according to a recently published survey on Jewish values.

The findings were part of the "2012 Jewish Values Survey"....

Of the three groups, Mormons received the highest favorability rating of 47%, followed by the Muslims at 41.4%. The Christian Right, on the hand, received a much lower favorability rating of 20.9%.
But Paredes that, in the end, it's important to keep the survey results in perspective.

"Of course, the survey also shows that Mormons have their work cut out for them when it comes to strengthening relationships with Jews. After all, 47 points out of 100 isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement," Paredes wrote. "That said, Mormons do have a big advantage over Evangelicals when it comes to Jews: Given our belief that we are covenant Israelites, our respect for Judaism is as strong as our support for Israel. When Evangelicals can say the same, they will have more success with Jewish outreach."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

Use your words!

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:19:41 AM »

So... the Jews favor the Mormon historical fantasy over the Evangelical end-times fantasy? Gotta admit, that surprises me...

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:39:31 AM »

I'd post the choice the Jews have, but it might be miscontrued as political.

Who cares what the Jews think?  Newsflash, the Evangelicals are not interested in "Jewish outreach" besides conversion.  They can take that any way they like.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:47:38 AM »

Newsflash, the Evangelicals are not interested in "Jewish outreach" besides conversion.

Not so sure about that. I know there are some very misled Evangelicals who believe that the Jews still somehow have some special Covenant with God; hence the Evangelical support of Zionism.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 02:08:04 AM »

The Jews, the Jews, the Jews...an albatross around all of our necks. What was it last time...they were upset that the Roman Pope should pray for their conversion to Christianity, was it? I suppose I still find them more socially tolerable than the Muslims, as Jewish offendedness rarely leads to the bloodshed that Muslim offendedness does (unless you happen to be Palestinian, of course, in which case God help you -- by and large neither Jews nor the Evangelicals care about you, as you are getting in the way of their game of eschatological tiddlywinks).

Excuse me while I continue to not care what a bunch of Christ-denying whiners are whining about now. I wonder if there are any similar surveys showing non-Jewish attitudes towards the Jews, and how up in arms the guardians of (faux) Semitism might be about them. Hmmm. Er, excuse me...Chhhhhhmmmmmmch...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:08:51 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 04:02:01 AM »

I thought jews didn't like the mormons "Baptising" them after some of them die?

Thank you.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:43:36 AM »

The Jews, the Jews, the Jews...an albatross around all of our necks. What was it last time...they were upset that the Roman Pope should pray for their conversion to Christianity, was it? I suppose I still find them more socially tolerable than the Muslims, as Jewish offendedness rarely leads to the bloodshed that Muslim offendedness does (unless you happen to be Palestinian, of course, in which case God help you -- by and large neither Jews nor the Evangelicals care about you, as you are getting in the way of their game of eschatological tiddlywinks).

Excuse me while I continue to not care what a bunch of Christ-denying whiners are whining about now. I wonder if there are any similar surveys showing non-Jewish attitudes towards the Jews, and how up in arms the guardians of (faux) Semitism might be about them. Hmmm. Er, excuse me...Chhhhhhmmmmmmch...

LOL, I agree.

I'm going to need this.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:52:03 AM »

Yet the Jews, and more directly, the State of Israel, with their left hand, use Christian Zionists as a shield against Muslims, and with their right, insult them and harass Christian Jews and Palestinians within their borders.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:37:14 AM »

Jewish Americans hold more favorable views of Mormons and Muslims than those belonging to the "Christian Right," according to a recently published survey on Jewish values.

The findings were part of the "2012 Jewish Values Survey"....

Of the three groups, Mormons received the highest favorability rating of 47%, followed by the Muslims at 41.4%. The Christian Right, on the hand, received a much lower favorability rating of 20.9%.
But Paredes that, in the end, it's important to keep the survey results in perspective.

"Of course, the survey also shows that Mormons have their work cut out for them when it comes to strengthening relationships with Jews. After all, 47 points out of 100 isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement," Paredes wrote. "That said, Mormons do have a big advantage over Evangelicals when it comes to Jews: Given our belief that we are covenant Israelites, our respect for Judaism is as strong as our support for Israel. When Evangelicals can say the same, they will have more success with Jewish outreach."

It is difficult for me to believe that is all inclusive. We have an Orthodox Jew that oversees one of our units at work as it is a kosher deli. We have spoken enough about non work issues, including beliefs, that his feelings toward Muslims was made known. Make no mistake he has some not very 'favorable' emotions about Christianity, but I'm under the impression it does not even compare to his lack of 'favorability' toward Muslims. Not even close!

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »

What?  Jews do not really like their Evangelical lapdogs?  For shame!

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 03:38:21 PM »

What?  Jews do not really like their Evangelical lapdogs?  For shame!

+1

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »

This survey is misleading in so many ways.

"Jewish American" means everything from atheist, pro-Palestine, reconstructionists with "Jewish heritage" to devout, Zionist, Orthodox Chassidim. The former group, who I suspect comprises the majority of the group surveyed (although I cannot prove that, Orthodox Jews make up a minority of Jews who consider themselves religious), values social justice and equality over faith. It's natural for them to side with a group in their country that is struggling (Muslims) verses the one that's in power (the "Christian Right"). Of course, this is is all just based on my experience with these terms.

In my experience, Orthodox Jews have much nicer things to say about Christians than they do Muslims, regardless of their political affiliation.

I don't know what to say about the Mormons though.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 11:04:48 PM »

Muslims are struggling in America? Wow...Jewish America must be very different than actual America, if that's the kind of thinking that goes into answering these questions. There are an estimated 2,106 mosques in America (source), 87% of which were built in the last three decades (source). The number of U.S. mosques has increased 74% since 2000 (source), and the population of Muslims has increased from 1.8 million in 2007 to 2.6 million in 2010 (source; in sidebar).

Far from struggling, I think it could be very convincingly argued that Muslims are doing better now in terms of visibility (TV shows like "American Muslim", the increase in Islamic curriculum and "awareness" activities in secular schools, election of the first ever Muslim congressman, etc.), numbers, and accommodation than at any point in the past half century or so.

But y'know, heaven forbid facts get in the way of popular perception... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:05:36 PM by dzheremi » Logged

lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 11:11:45 PM »

But y'know, heaven forbid facts get in the way of popular perception... Roll Eyes

I had reached my "quotes" quota, but this is what I meant by the term "struggling" -- popularly perceived. I have no basis to determine if any group is in fact, struggling in this, or any country.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:12:13 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: