OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:33:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interfaith Dialogue in Midland, Texas  (Read 420 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: April 28, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »

Any Orthodox in/near Midland, Texas? For at least two years now, there's been an interfaith dialogue presentation in Midland, and there are Catholics, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, and Baptists represented, but no Orthodox.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »

According to the all-seeing orthodoxyinamerica.org, the Orthodox presence closest to Midland TX is an Antiochian group about 16-18 miles away (distance according to the site), though it seems to be a smallish community that currently meet at a Presbyterian Church.  After that the closest parish is over 100 miles away.

http://orthodoxmidlandodessa.com/
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »

Any Orthodox in/near Midland, Texas? For at least two years now, there's been an interfaith dialogue presentation in Midland, and there are Catholics, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, and Baptists represented, but no Orthodox.

Personally, I've never had a great interesting in dialogue with non-Christian religions. To me the real question is "Should ecumenical dialogue include Protestants, or be limited to just Catholics and Eastern Orthodox (and Oriental Orthodox)?"

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »

Personally, I've never had a great interesting in dialogue with non-Christian religions. To me the real question is "Should ecumenical dialogue include Protestants, or be limited to just Catholics and Eastern Orthodox (and Oriental Orthodox)?"

You forgot the Nestorians.  Everyone always forgets the Nestorians.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:42:50 PM »

The last time I was at any interfaith event, is what spoiled Orthodoxy for me.  I could not believe what I saw.

Hopefully this one would be better.  St. Seraphim's in Dallas (OCA) or Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox in Dallas may send somebody.

There is also a EO convent in Kemp, TX.   
Milan in Austin.

Also there is a Romanian Church in Dallas, Antiochian, and other Greek churches. 

There is also a ROCOR parish in McKinney TX where the priest would probably be interested in going.  That church is St. Nicholas Orthodox Church.  He has a great domain name, orthodox.net  - somebody may want to give him a call and see if he'd go.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »

Now that I think about it, the Midland event isn't really "dialogue", that is, two or more individuals talking and listening, and perhaps trying to reach an agreement. It's more a case of individual leaders from different faiths, acting cooperatively in sharing with the public, their answers to often topical questions.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:07:35 AM »

You forgot the Nestorians.  Everyone always forgets the Nestorians.

True. And the Old Catholics.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: