OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 06:39:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I do not believe in shaking hands.  (Read 5612 times) Average Rating: 0
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 03:46:55 PM »

Oh, I agree with you. Like I said, fear of physical contanct with a satanist is really more about my own hang ups than any deep theological truth.

You do realise that they wash the blood off when they're done?  Wink  The only thing I have against satanists is that they're full of themselves and rather proud of it, and think it's a good thing. I may be full of myself, but I'll be darned if I try to make a virtue out of it! I'm too humble to do that! Er, wait...  angel
Funny that you say that. I was actually diagnosed with OCD. I wash my hands way too much. Smiley

CDO. They're in alphabetical order that way.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2012, 03:50:26 PM »

Possibly more idiotic thread starter ever.

I don't "fist bump". Not because of people being heathens, just cause it is ****.

The latter is much worse than the former.

Looking for more appropriate alternative to obscenity originally used  -PtA

I like to greet atheists and Satanists by punching them in the face. This shows them the mercy of God, because they're punched instead of being disintegrated with a ray gun. Of course, to avoid physical contact, it's better to use a baseball bat--but sometimes all you have is the fist that God gave you.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2012, 03:52:30 PM »

I don't "fist bump". Not because of people being heathens, just cause it is ****.

Nothing is as worse as a good ol' Christian Side Hug.

Was expecting staid Evangelicals; got rapper cliches. So disappointed. Angry

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »

No offense OP, but you are kind of adopting a hyperdox holier-than-though attitude.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »

In the Urban Dictionary, only one of the 6 definitions are usable, to wit "Unimaginative, uninteresting, stale, preppy, mainstream, especially in a self-promoting way." Take your pick. Second Chance
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:00:17 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »

In the Urban Dictionary, only one of the 6 definitions are usable, to wit "Unimaginative, uninteresting, stale, preppy, mainstream, especially in a self-promoting way." Take your pick. Second Chance

And yet none capture its meaning. Didn't know the word was considered obscene here.

Mea culpa.

All the other words which come close are other words suggesting macho come effeminate behavior are also probably obscene if the original is.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 04:27:07 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I especially will not shake hands with the heathen. This is an absolutely outrageous custom. If you do not know them and they are most likely not even spiritual, but are rather like the average citizen of the kingdom of darkness, then why on earth would the servants of God want to shake hands with them? Handshakes transmit energies into the bodies. Also, most of the heathen males masturbate daily with their right hand. But if you do not shake hands with them then they will not accept you into their dark world of "professionalism" (i.e. service of demons). They even have a whole way of judging you by your handshakes, whether it was firm and assertive and trustworthy, or whether it was weak and that you are therefore somehow a lesser person. This is absolutely crazy! Does anyone else believe this?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »

Why'd they disable comments? Awww  Undecided
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »

When this was first posted, they got BUTCHERED.  They finally wised up and erased/disabled them.  Check out some of the responses on the sidebar.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »

I only shake hands with Satanists. Athiests get the side hug, agnostics get a cheek kiss, Methodists get a lip peck, etc. It’s progressive.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »

When this was first posted, they got BUTCHERED.  They finally wised up and erased/disabled them.  Check out some of the responses on the sidebar.

HOLY      !

Recently a food blog brought my life to a low I thought I would never see. This echoes the degree of despair I felt then.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2012, 05:20:33 PM »

Shocked Angry Shocked Angry Shocked

Posting this should get you banned for weeks for obscenity.

Ugh. Need to go rinse my brain.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
amartin

Faith: Apostolic Quakerism/Hesychasm/KriyaYoga
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »

i am in shock *scandalized*
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2012, 06:07:09 PM »

i am in shock *scandalized*
Why? Do you find it alarming that people don't think as you do?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:08:26 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
amartin

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »

Where have all the Orthodox gone? It seems the "church" is now only a religion of jokesters.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2012, 06:53:37 PM »

Where have all the Orthodox gone? It seems the "church" is now only a religion of jokesters.

y so srs?

amartin

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2012, 06:58:08 PM »

OMG OMG OMG ! Humanity is out of control. I know for a fact now that the Shaytan has descended upon Eastern Orthodox Christianity!
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2012, 07:04:05 PM »

OMG OMG OMG ! Humanity is out of control. I know for a fact now that the Shaytan has descended upon Eastern Orthodox Christianity!

So Islam it is. I heard that is is common in Muslim countries to use your hands for toilet paper. I can't say I blame you for starting this thread now.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2012, 07:50:38 PM »

So Islam it is. I heard that is is common in Muslim countries to use your hands for toilet paper. I can't say I blame you for starting this thread now.

I sure hope they have industrial-strength soap in the restrooms.  Sad

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2012, 08:34:37 PM »

It seems that Rod Dreher has linked to this thread

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/2012/04/24/masturbation-heathens-segregation-christians/

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2012, 08:46:21 PM »

No hand shaking?

What about the "bro fist" (aka Fist Bump)?

I'm going to need this.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2012, 10:10:29 PM »

Christians are suppose to kiss each other on both cheeks. I usually accept a hand shake from most secular people though. I never thought about where their hands have bin though. I would think that they wash there hand frequently enough to not transfer any germs. Most people are germaphobs these days. So i don't see an issue really. Unless off course there outward appearance is degrading at first glance. Than I would avoid contact.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »

Maybe the joke is on you which is why everyone here is replying with jokes
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »

If you want people to take you seriously, then post something that can be taken seriously.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2012, 01:35:51 AM »

Christians are suppose to kiss each other on both cheeks. I usually accept a hand shake from most secular people though. I never thought about where their hands have bin though. I would think that they wash there hand frequently enough to not transfer any germs. Most people are germaphobs these days. So i don't see an issue really. Unless off course there outward appearance is degrading at first glance. Than I would avoid contact.

Yeah, often in our church it was one small "kiss" on the right, then on the left, and then on the right again.   The kiss didn't always land though, and it was never a smooch.   Lemme tell ya, just be around 200+ clergy, 6 years old, on forgiveness Sunday.  Face was RAW and the left side twice as raw as the right.  Penance and forgiveness all in one package.   

I believe early on that the "holy kiss" was directly on the lips.  Wasn't there some writing or story of Polycarp doing this?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:37:08 AM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2012, 09:00:18 AM »

Yeah, often in our church it was one small "kiss" on the right, then on the left, and then on the right again.   The kiss didn't always land though, and it was never a smooch.   Lemme tell ya, just be around 200+ clergy, 6 years old, on forgiveness Sunday.  Face was RAW and the left side twice as raw as the right.  Penance and forgiveness all in one package.   

I believe early on that the "holy kiss" was directly on the lips.  Wasn't there some writing or story of Polycarp doing this?

The way I always heard the story is that Judas kissed Jesus on one cheek with the kiss of betrayal. While Christians kiss on both cheeks. This is all from tradition. I don't know if it's a wives tale or if there is anything in written literature to substantiate the truth.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2012, 10:43:23 PM »

Heathen here, checking in. I've shaken hands with numerous Orthodox priests. Cool

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2012, 11:48:04 PM »

Heathen here, checking in. I've shaken hands with numerous Orthodox priests. Cool
Hopefully not with your right hand.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »

With all my hands.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Lord have mercy

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »

Fear of spontaneous combustion is just one reason I avoid handshakes

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2012, 10:05:18 AM »

With all my hands.

Are you implying you have three or more hands?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »

No hand shaking?

What about the "bro fist" (aka Fist Bump)?

This is the only way of greeting people.  My brother and I were in Church together once during the Kiss of Peace, which they do at my Mother's church, and we instinctively fist bumped.  Luckily there were no babushkas around to chastise us.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »

The way I always heard the story is that Judas kissed Jesus on one cheek with the kiss of betrayal. While Christians kiss on both cheeks. This is all from tradition. I don't know if it's a wives tale or if there is anything in written literature to substantiate the truth.

ouch. i have a habit of kissing on one cheek...  Undecided
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2012, 01:12:01 PM »

the kissing is one thing that i had to get used to when first inquiring orthodoxy...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2012, 03:38:25 PM »

the kissing is one thing that i had to get used to when first inquiring orthodoxy...
I thank my Western Rite stars I dont have to worry about that.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »

Seriously, my germaphobic mind would be worried about catching cold sores.   Cheesy I know, I'm a crazy person.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:50:14 PM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »

Rod could benefit from a period of silence.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »

Did you check out some of the comments? I'll just cite one that is clean enough for the Forum:

"Heart Knowledge, not Head Knowledge: Purell Bliss for Lost Souls”

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2012, 08:22:47 PM »

I thank my Western Rite stars I dont have to worry about that.

PP

i looked for a western rite parish near me but there arent any! Atlanta has everything, so I figured there would be at least one.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »

I always used to get nervous when the young ladies my age would kiss me at Church when I first became Orthodox.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:02:34 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »

I always used to get nervous when the young ladies my age would kiss me at Church when I first became Orthodox.

Sounds like a great thing for you!!! haha

— Chrysostom

BLOG
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »

Did this really happen? Quite different from entering a synagogue where you aren't even allowed to look at the women...

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2012, 11:48:48 PM »

There is no Orthodox Christian custom to kiss people at the kiss of peace in the Liturgy (well, the clergy do, and anciently the people did, but that's a long time since, and the sexes were segregated back then always). Nor shake hands.

If anybody is doing that, they are trying way too hard to be Cool and Really, Like, Hip.

It will fall flat. If it's a Cool American Happening Thing, the fad won't last long.

Christ is risen.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2012, 11:52:11 PM »

Did this really happen? Quite different from entering a synagogue where you aren't even allowed to look at the women...

of course this happens! it's one of the best part of being Orthodox Wink

Usually reserved for forgiveness vespers or after liturgy during fellowship however Tongue
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2012, 12:24:55 AM »

Yeah and quite often too. Not saying I don't enjoy it, but it is rather awkward and strange for me, turning red and all. Orthodoxy is what got me my first kiss, lol.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: