OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:21:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An acceptance of God's Will  (Read 485 times) Average Rating: 0
kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Lord have mercy

« on: April 24, 2012, 02:16:08 AM »

Brothers and sisters, remember me in your prayers.
The single life causes my heart a lot of agony. I know that marriage is not, by any means, a cure-all, but I long for a Godly wife with whom I can grow  together in the Faith. Waiting for the right woman to come along is difficult. Though I know it's not at all true, sometimes it seems as if marrying whomever or even choosing a life of celibacy would be easier than waiting for the right one. Whatever He Wills, I know that I definitely need patience and a lot of prayer.

Thank you and God bless

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:07:18 AM »

I will be praying for you.  I almost wondered if this was something I wrote after reading it.  Waiting for the right one to come along is pretty hard.  Hopefully God has some kind of reward for those that have patience.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:48:23 PM »

Lord have mercy!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »

Brothers and sisters, remember me in your prayers.
The single life causes my heart a lot of agony. I know that marriage is not, by any means, a cure-all, but I long for a Godly wife with whom I can grow  together in the Faith. Waiting for the right woman to come along is difficult. Though I know it's not at all true, sometimes it seems as if marrying whomever or even choosing a life of celibacy would be easier than waiting for the right one. Whatever He Wills, I know that I definitely need patience and a lot of prayer.

Thank you and God bless

It isn't easy.

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
marigold
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 09:17:26 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »

Lord have mercy!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »

Lord have mercy!

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 06:26:06 PM »

may God help you.
and remember temporary celibacy (until marriage) is always a good option.
most people take more than a year from meeting someone till getting married, so u could start by deciding to be celibate for 1 year. (or 6 months, if 1 year sounds like a really long time)
then if, at the end of one year, if yr not engaged, u could be celibate for another year.
this way it's a positive decision.

also remember the 'Godly wife' usually ends up discouraging you as much as encouraging you!
so enjoy yr freedom for now.
(according to my friends)
kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Lord have mercy

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »

Thanks you, everyone, for the prayers.

Mabsoota, thank you for the advice. I am celibate and definitely wish to be until I am married. Please forgive me for asking, but is there any way that the celibacy to which you refer differs from abstinence?

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 02:11:54 AM »

Lord have mercy! May the Lord help you with this area of your life.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 04:25:11 AM »

technically speaking, it's the same.
but i suggest that having a celibate mind set includes more than just 'not touching'.

it is being dedicated to something other than finding a spouse.
(in our case, as Christians, we are dedicated to God.)
so our aim is to please God, study well / work well / do voluntary work well (delete as applicable) and, if we meet someone special, we can become good friends with that person, but will not immediately try to spend lots of time with her / him alone.
it excludes signing up for dating websites, including Christian ones! (my close friend has been seriously hurt and wasted a lot of months on this)

it means we positively enjoy singleness, and while we are able to notice other single people, we don't immediately run through our marriage / dating checklist in our heads as soon as they pop up on our radar.

i'll give an example of another friend. she was always getting suggestions of husbands from friends and relatives (as this is her culture), but she was not ready, so ignored them and carried on working, meeting with her friends, going to church etc.
when another suggestion came up, she contacted the guy and said, 'ok, we will meet for coffee, but just as friends'. he readily agreed, as he was living in a similar way, and also did not accept peer pressure to get married. they became friends, then later realised the relationship was progressing. they got married this week.

so being celibate, u can meet with someone of the opposite sex, but it gives u a more chilled out mindset, accepting of God's timing.
may we all accept God's timing more in our lives!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: