OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 04:42:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. George's Day popular feast in England, elsewhere  (Read 427 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »

Happy St. George's Day! The popular saint is considered the patron of England, and is honored in the Anglican, Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches.

From the article:
There were celebrations across the Midlands over the weekend, including a giant parade through Stone Cross in West Bromwich, which claims to be the biggest St George’s parade in the world.

And the patron saint himself – or at least his likeness Karl Ude-Martinez – appeared on horseback during Birmingham’s commemorations on Saturday.

Some more information-

Interesting facts about the saint

The Trophy-bearer and Great Martyr, at Orthodox Wiki

angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Happy St. George's Day! The popular saint is considered the patron of England, and is honored in the Anglican, Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches.

From the article:
There were celebrations across the Midlands over the weekend, including a giant parade through Stone Cross in West Bromwich, which claims to be the biggest St George’s parade in the world.

And the patron saint himself – or at least his likeness Karl Ude-Martinez – appeared on horseback during Birmingham’s commemorations on Saturday.

Some more information-

angel

"And on this day also took place the translation of the body of Saint George, the chief of the
martyrs, from the country of Persia to the church of Lydda, with great splendor. The
translation of his body took place at the same time as the translation of the body of our
Lady Mary, and therefore those who know how to love her, paint his picture with her
picture, so that it may be a port of salvation for those who pray in his name.
Salutation to
George." From the Ethiopian Synaxarium August 22

Stay Blessed,
Habte Selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »

Beautiful!  angel

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

From the article:

Some more information-

angel

"And on this day also took place the translation of the body of Saint George, the chief of the
martyrs, from the country of Persia to the church of Lydda, with great splendor. The
translation of his body took place at the same time as the translation of the body of our
Lady Mary, and therefore those who know how to love her, paint his picture with her
picture, so that it may be a port of salvation for those who pray in his name.
Salutation to
George." From the Ethiopian Synaxarium August 22

Stay Blessed,
Habte Selassie
As St. George is my patron, I might have to give that lager a try :0

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 04:12:39 PM »

My parish is St. George- we had our patronal feast this morning. The place was packed!  Grin

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »

i missed the vesperal feast last night, and he is the patron saint of our cathedral!  Embarrassed
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »

I'd like to add a few tidbits here about Saint George: 

1 -  Saint George was adopted by England because he appeared miraculously and helped the Crusaders capture Jerusalem in the First Crusade.  He might have appeared at the capture of other cities as well. 

2 - Saint George is the patron saint of  soldiers and mental illness.

3 - The Muslims have a strong devotion and fear of  Saint George.  The Ottomans would never destroy a church dedicated to Saint George.

4 - Christians and Muslims in the Middle East have always brought  their mentally ill to a church dedicated to Saint George.  I'm not certain but I assume it's  his tomb and shrine at Lydda/Lod in Israel.

5 - The flag of The Republic of Genoa was the flag of Saint George.  It was white with a red Greek cross in the center.

6 - Christopher Columbus sailed with the flag of Saint George on the Santa Maria.

7 - The Red Cross adopted the flag of Saint George. 

8 - Saint George is the patron saint of boy scouts.

Here is a video of his Church and Tomb at Lydda/Lod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMSCylGPhQQ

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »

Unfortunately, St. George's Day in England is considerably more associated with far-right, nationalist, and/or racist groups than with the saint's feast day.

Same goes with flying St. George's cross (England's flag).  Some of this is deserved, but some stems from reactionary multicultural or English-guilt extremists.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 07:34:19 PM »

1 -  Saint George was adopted by England because he appeared miraculously and helped the Crusaders capture Jerusalem in the First Crusade.  He might have appeared at the capture of other cities as well.

My understanding is that St. George was not adopted by England until the reign of King Edward III (well after the First Crusade).  There are grassroots movements, many secular in nature, to have him replaced by English saints, including St. Alban and St. Edmund.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »

Xristos Anesti!

Troparion
You were bound for good deeds, O martyr of Christ: George;
by faith you conquered the torturer's godlessness.
You were offered as a sacrifice pleasing to God;
thus you received the crown of victory.
Through your intercessions, forgiveness of sins is granted to all.

Kontakion
God raised you as his own gardener, O George,
for you have gathered for yourself the sheaves of virtue.
Having sown in tears, you now reap with joy;
you shed your blood in combat and won Christ as your crown.
Through your intercessions, forgiveness of sins is granted to all.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:00:46 PM by Cantor Krishnich » Logged

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 09:40:55 PM »

My understanding is that St. George was not adopted by England until the reign of King Edward III (well after the First Crusade).  There are grassroots movements, many secular in nature, to have him replaced by English saints, including St. Alban and St. Edmund.

I  read of these miracles quite a few times and assumed that Saint George was adopted by England because of them.  Of course I might be wrong, but  these things do take a while...like two centuries for instance.   Huh

Anyway I couldn't find what I read about Jerusalem but I did find this.  It was a battle of the First Crusade outside of Antioch:

An eyewitness who fought in that battle later wrote: “There came out of the mountains also countless armies with white horses whose standards were all white. And so, when our leaders saw this army they were entirely ignorant as to what it was and who they were until the recognized the aid of Christ, whose leaders were Saints George, Mercurius, and Demetrius. This is to be believed, for many of our men saw it.”

Many said that there were armies of angels and saints, as well as the spirits of fallen comrades, fighting alongside Bohemond and his troops. Against all odds, the Christians won a miraculous victory, and Antioch remained in Christian hands.

Tags: St. George  England 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: