OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:44:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Orthodox Calendar on my HP Handheld Device  (Read 1643 times) Average Rating: 0
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« on: October 21, 2004, 12:50:04 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

When it comes to computers I'm a slow learner, but progressing nevertheless.  My problem is...I got a HP handheld device and am in the process of downloading all the services I can ever do throughout the year.  Reason is, in case I must travel I won't need to carry all the books necessary to do a reader's service.  What I want is to be able to download an Orthodox Calendar, like the one at the St. John Maximovich page.  I tried but it won't work.  The only thing I think I can do is go to Microsoft Outlook and put the saints for the day manually, but then it won't reconize a particular Sunday or when Pascha is.  If anyone knows of an easy way to get a calendar on these devices I would be very gratiful.

The unworthy monk, Vasyl

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 12:54:53 PM »

My problem is...I got a HP handheld device and am in the process of downloading all the services I can ever do throughout the year.  Reason is, in case I must travel I won't need to carry all the books necessary to do a reader's service.

Dear Father,

I can't help you with your question, but I think this is very cool!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 01:30:17 PM »

Thanks...its alot of work coverting the services to fit on the handheld.  What drives me crazy is that these devices don't minimize screens like regular computers, meaning, that when you minimize and then pull it up again it reverts back to the very beginning.  This is a pain when you try to do a service and need to go to the propers.  You have to scroll alot.  I've solved that problem by making vespers, et al for each saint or particular day (same with the hours), so there's no need to minimize.  It takes alot of memory and time doing this, but not having to carry all these books...

The unworthy monk, Vasyl

Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 02:01:34 PM »

Let me look at this further.  I'm actually working on a calendar-service book tool and this might be something worthwhile to work on.

Feel free to PM me.

"The creed is very simple, and here is what it is: to believe that there is nothing more beautiful, more courageous, and more perfect than Christ; and there not only isn't, but I tell myself with a jealous love, there cannot be." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 09:24:24 AM »

Hey, guys.
Don't forget some of us old guys still use PocketPC 3.0...Perhaps your solutions will be made to run on it?

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 01:44:23 PM »

Demetri, that actually what I have.  I tried programs for PalmPilots and they don't work.  I have emailed the creator of the calendar found on the St. John Maximovich page and am still waiting for his reply.  Will keep you posted.

By the time I get all the services on my device I'll be entering the Pearly Gates.  I remember a member of the parish I am at, commented on how good my Ukrainian is (only only know the opening prayers).  I told her by the time I am fluent in Ukrainian, the 2nd comming will take place and I'll never get us to what I learned.  lol

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: