OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 01:20:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting a File to PDF Format  (Read 3122 times) Average Rating: 0
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« on: October 18, 2004, 11:26:05 AM »

Hi there!  Another question from the technologically challenged Antonious Nikolas:

How does one convert a MS Word document to a PDF format?  Do you have to download a special program or something?  I hope I am asking the right question.  What I want to do is post one of my college papers on-line (in a yahoo group) but I don't want anyone to be able to edit it, etc.  I want it to be readable but not changeable, if you see what I mean.  Could someone please tell me how to do this?  Is a PDF document what I need (like one of those acrobat reader things)?

Thanks!

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 11:39:36 AM »

You need Adobe Acrobat writer (the free one on the website is just reader.)

PDF format will work.  However, it does cost money.

If you contact me via PM, I can probably work out something for you where you can get Adobe Acrobat 6.0 without cost, but I cannot discuss it on public channels.

R
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 01:41:39 PM »

There are several free PDF writers(or converters, actually) available for download on the Internet. I have not tested any nor can I vouch that they would be adware and spyware free. Most seem to be 'lite' versions of fuller featured commercial applications, but the for conversion purposes they would appear to fit your needs - legally.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 02:15:26 PM »

I should mention that .pdf files *are* quite easily editable, if one has Acrobat full version and the knowledge to use it. There's no really good way to make a document edit-proof; the best you can do is to make it difficult.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 02:17:04 PM »

Another tip:

If you have the full version of Acrobat installed, PDFWriter is a hack.  PDFDistiller is MUCH better and should be used instead (they essentiall do the same things - convert files to PDF) and you will see differences if you have graphics in a Word document for example (like an inserted jpeg).  Writer frequently corrupts graphics to look like something they weren't originally.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 02:12:02 AM »

Another tip:

If you have the full version of Acrobat installed, PDFWriter is a hack.  PDFDistiller is MUCH better and should be used instead (they essentiall do the same things - convert files to PDF) and you will see differences if you have graphics in a Word document for example (like an inserted jpeg).  Writer frequently corrupts graphics to look like something they weren't originally.

Oh yes, PDFWriter totally stuffs anything that is not your basic Latin based European character set, so if you are doing anything in Greek or Russian etc. use Distiller.
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 08:41:47 AM »

Thanks for the info everyone.  Ari, where are these free legal downloads you speak of?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 08:42:02 AM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 10:56:44 AM »

Thanks for the info everyone.  Ari, where are these free legal downloads you speak of?

I merely did a Teoma search for 'free pdf writer' and several thousands hits were displayed. I picked PrimoPDF, downloaded the 10meg setup file, installed the app, scanned my system for spyware, adware and viruses (clean), and tested the app. Worked fine on a short, 9 page Word2000 .doc with mixed Greek and English text. I did not test a doc with images, however. The final conversion step (naming the file and location) is not intuitive, but this GNU Licensed app works.
I am sure there are others, but this one suffices for my rare needs.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 07:01:51 PM »

If a file is converted from MS to pdf. does it convert via Chrismation or Baptism and Chrismation?

Proverbs 22:7
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 08:38:22 PM »

If a file is converted from MS to pdf. does it convert via Chrismation or Baptism and Chrismation?

Naw, it gets the same treatment that all Ortherodox converts get: re-formatting. Tongue

Demetri

monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 10:37:34 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I, myself, have been looking for an afforable software for creating PDF's.  Everything I have found is far too expensive and I'm scared of using the online stuff.  So one day I was surfing the web and found this site:  http://www.xopensoft.com   They offer the most inexpensive software for creating pdf's.  I now have the software and its great.  Compared to paying several hundred dollars versus to paying under $20 is right in my book.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004, 05:59:20 PM »

My favorite software for creating PDFs is Mac OS X.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 10:08:48 PM »

True, +¥+¦+¦-ä+¦-ü+¦++-é, but this seems a bit more expensive for those of us lost in PC-land!

Demetri

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 01:10:08 AM »

Take a look at www.openoffice.org . They are a very popular free alternative with many different functions. I use it mainly as an alternative to microsoft excel.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 02:33:05 AM »

Take a look at www.openoffice.org . They are a very popular free alternative with many different functions. I use it mainly as an alternative to microsoft excel.    

I tried it (what is it called, Calc or something?) and didn't like it.  Different functions no pivot tables or different usage.  Better than nothing, but Excel is part of life.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 08:57:36 AM »

Amen,  brother.

I am Open Source advocate, but I cannot figure out how to put a regression to a line in Open Office.

Can anyone help me?

R
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: