Author Topic: Showtime's 'The Borgias'  (Read 701 times)

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
Showtime's 'The Borgias'
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
Watching this is a guilty pleasure but I wonder - is it 'over the top' as far as history is concerned?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Showtime's 'The Borgias'
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »
I don't know about historical accuracy but it's certainly a better written show than the Tudors.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline witega

• Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »
Watching this is a guilty pleasure but I wonder - is it 'over the top' as far as history is concerned?

Haven't seen it. But given the actual history of the Borgia's, unless aliens or Merlin show up, I'm not sure it's possible to be 'over the top'.
Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »

Haven't seen it. But given the actual history of the Borgia's, unless aliens or Merlin show up, I'm not sure it's possible to be 'over the top'.

That's what I thought, although the 13 year screenplay consultant to which SNL made reference to regarding HBO's Game of Thrones seemed to be lurking not far from this set as well........ (You'll have to google that one from the April 14th SNL.....)

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »
I love this show.  From what I've read of the Borgia papacy, the show seems to be a fairly close portrayal of the Borgias; it could always be worse, anyway, and incorporate some of the rumors about the Borgias (such as incest) that Mario Puzo included in his book The Family (which I highly recommend, by the way).
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011