OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:35:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Faith Today **Official Discussion Thread**  (Read 1450 times) Average Rating: 0
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:10:13 PM »

Peace everybody,

Kevin Allen (the host of Ancient Faith Radio's "Illumined Heart") has a new, live call-in show called "Ancient Faith Today".

Click here to listen

Ancient Faith Today streams live here at 5:00 pm Pacific, 7:00 pm Central, and 8:00 pm Eastern every other Sunday based on the program schedule shown on this page. To listen, go to our homepage and click on the Talk Station pop-up player.

The call-in number is:
1-855-AFRADIO (1-855-237-2346)

What is Ancient Faith Today?

Ancient Faith Today is what Ancient Faith Radio and Orthodox Internet radio have been missing -- a live inter-active conversation program. Now that void has been filled! Ancient Faith Today streams live, with call-ins from around the world, twice a month on Sunday nights at 5:00pm Pacific/7:00pm Central/8:00pm Eastern on Ancient Faith Radio Talk.
Topics cover all of life through the lens of Scripture and the teaching and canonical tradition of the Holy Orthodox Church. Ancient Faith Today’s host Kevin Allen talks with knowledgeable guests about social issues, global events, politics as they affect matters of faith (from a non-partisan perspective), war and peace, aging, death and life, church affairs, inter-faith affairs, current events, journeys to faith and Orthodoxy, theology and apologetics, cults, atheism, the paranormal, the New Age movement and Eastern religion. More than just “talk radio”, Ancient Faith Today is Orthodox Christianity’s platform for illumining and informative conversation about subjects that matter, with people who care.
There is no other live (streaming) call-in show with an Orthodox Christian perspective on television, radio or Internet radio!
Kevin Allen was the host of Ancient Faith Radio’s popular award-winning program “The Illumined Heart.” Kevin draws upon his unique faith background to host this fascinating, engaging and spiritually constructive program with guests you should know!
The premier episode is airing right now, and I'm listening to it. Here's the episode info:

April 22: The “New Atheists” and their claims
(Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens)

Guests: Father Hans Jacobse (Antiochian), President of American Orthodox Institute, and Dr. John Mark Reynolds, philosopher, author (editor: Three Views of Creation and Evolution), and Director of the Torrey Honors Institute of Biola University

I'm recording the show on my iPhone. I know the audio recording will be available next week, but I'm gonna try to be ahead of them and upload it somewhere this week for everyone's listening pleasure.

- GTA
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:18:59 PM by GTAsoldier » Logged

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:39:45 PM »

Last time I checked Biola wasn't Orthodox. Must have missed their reception into the Angliochian diocese.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »

Angliochian diocese.
Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:05:45 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:51:50 PM »

I'm recording the show on my iPhone. I know the audio recording will be available next week, but I'm gonna try to be ahead of them and upload it somewhere this week for everyone's listening pleasure.
- GTA

Please do!  Smiley
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:12:32 AM »

There is no other live (streaming) call-in show with an Orthodox Christian perspective on television, radio or Internet radio!

Except for NFTU Radio (which I sometimes co-host); we've been doing live Orthodox Internet Radio for a year and a half or so. But I guess since we're Old Calendarists we don't count hehe Wink

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:37 AM »

Except for NFTU Radio (which I sometimes co-host); we've been doing live Orthodox Internet Radio for a year and a half or so. But I guess since we're Old Calendarists we don't count hehe Wink

Is it call in? The half dozen episodes I listened to of that weren't call in (except for the guest co-host calling in).

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:53:39 AM »

Last time I checked Biola wasn't Orthodox. Must have missed their reception into the Angliochian diocese.

man u really have it out for the AOCA don't ya?
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 01:20:11 AM »

Now, why would someone who has several times expressed disdain for "convertodoxy", has a fondness for the Communist era of the Old Country, and generally hates all things American possibly have it out for a jurisdiction that has done whatever it can to bring converts in, has some of the staunchest conservative priests in Orthodoxy, and supports the Western Rite? I think you're just bein' paranoid Ortho_cat.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 02:04:46 AM »

Now, why would someone who has several times expressed disdain for "convertodoxy", has a fondness for the Communist era of the Old Country, and generally hates all things American possibly have it out for a jurisdiction that has done whatever it can to bring converts in, has some of the staunchest conservative priests in Orthodoxy, and supports the Western Rite? I think you're just bein' paranoid Ortho_cat.

Ah, but of course. Nothing to see here folks, carry on...
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:38:15 AM »

Naw, just pointing out a funny incongruence: these guys  see themselves as some defenders of the orthodox faith,yet a certain type of conservatism is enough to make them fraternize across confessional borders. Where is fr. Romanides when you need him? He could expose without a shadow of doubt the western/ augustinian/ fill in the blanks mindset of this enterprise.
PS The last two sentences are just ironic, as I find Fr. Romanides' enterprise just funny, but anyways, he was more consistent in a way.
Ancient Faith Radio is not really Orthodox, it's more a mere x-tianity sort of a thing like Touchstone and the whole conservative movement in the American Orthodoxy. Not that it really matters to me on an ultimate level, (God might well be a "Dobsonista" Republican after all, in which case I'll be honored to not have many dealings with him, anyways) since I'm just agnostic there, but it offers a possibility of attack from my side, nonetheless, since they themselves attack whatever they perceive as "liberal".
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:51:06 AM by augustin717 » Logged
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »

While not as extreme in my worldview as is Augustin, I  have ambivalent feelings about AFR in general and particularly strong ones regarding Fr. Jacobse . I think that he presents a view of Orthodoxy which is too embedded in the politics of one side of the American political divide and he is far too sure of himself. I much prefer the companion streaming music service which in my view is better for the soul - especially when driving!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »

I lean towards having a varied menu. Ingesting the same sort of thing is not healthy.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »

Ingesting the same sort of thing is not healthy.
One of the food myths.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »

Ingesting the same sort of thing is not healthy.
One of the food myths.

The countless sailors who got scurvy didn't think so  police

GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »

Here's episode 1! Hope y'all enjoy it.

http://youtu.be/Tmjgb1pjFD4

the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »

thanks GTA, you're the man!
GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 09:22:03 PM »

thanks GTA, you're the man!

No problem, glad I could help.

On a side note, I just discovered that the episode is already available to download on the ancient faith website today after they said that it'll be uploaded next week. Now I'm in competition....

- GTA
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:22:32 PM by GTAsoldier » Logged

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »

The New Atheists have claims against Christianity?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 11:22:01 PM »

I downloaded it off of youtube and tried to listen to it. The host sounded very civil and even-handed in the intro, so I was quite optimistic. However, then the guests started speaking and it turned to crap. I got about 11 minutes in before I had to shut it off.

NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 11:25:21 PM »

I downloaded it off of youtube and tried to listen to it. The host sounded very civil and even-handed in the intro, so I was quite optimistic. However, then the guests started speaking and it turned to crap. I got about 11 minutes in before I had to shut it off.

That's too bad. I thought the second guest in particular, Dr. Reynolds, had some valuable insight and was very courteous with the only (very nervous and stumbling) atheist caller. I was pretty disappointed that he was the only atheist to come on the air.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:27:44 PM by NightOwl » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 11:35:29 PM »

Is it call in? The half dozen episodes I listened to of that weren't call in (except for the guest co-host calling in).

Yeah it is actually--we just don't get that many call-ins Wink hehe

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 04:51:14 AM »

While not as extreme in my worldview as is Augustin, I  have ambivalent feelings about AFR in general and particularly strong ones regarding Fr. Jacobse . I think that he presents a view of Orthodoxy which is too embedded in the politics of one side of the American political divide and he is far too sure of himself. I much prefer the companion streaming music service which in my view is better for the soul - especially when driving!

I have to agree with you about this. 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 04:59:41 AM »

Yeah it is actually--we just don't get that many call-ins Wink hehe

Oh, well I stand corrected then Smiley

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 12:01:37 PM »

Ok so my goal is to get past 11 minutes then...we'll see how it goes
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »

i have to say this is turning into a sleeper...what happened to the callers?  Huh
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »

I have to agree with you about this. 
+2

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »

i have to say this is turning into a sleeper...what happened to the callers?  Huh

things are starting to get spicy around 50 minutes in...they are having to fade the caller in and out because he is arguing over the guests... Tongue
GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »

Ancient Faith Today - Episode 2: Demons, Excorcisms, and the Paranormal.

Smiley

- GTA

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »

Somewhat interesting, but got bored after the disincarnate soul part.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:48:09 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »

Naw, just pointing out a funny incongruence: these guys  see themselves as some defenders of the orthodox faith,yet a certain type of conservatism is enough to make them fraternize across confessional borders. Where is fr. Romanides when you need him? He could expose without a shadow of doubt the western/ augustinian/ fill in the blanks mindset of this enterprise.
PS The last two sentences are just ironic, as I find Fr. Romanides' enterprise just funny, but anyways, he was more consistent in a way.
Ancient Faith Radio is not really Orthodox, it's more a mere x-tianity sort of a thing like Touchstone and the whole conservative movement in the American Orthodoxy. Not that it really matters to me on an ultimate level, (God might well be a "Dobsonista" Republican after all, in which case I'll be honored to not have many dealings with him, anyways) since I'm just agnostic there, but it offers a possibility of attack from my side, nonetheless, since they themselves attack whatever they perceive as "liberal".
Oh, please! Aren't you the one who is constantly bi.... complaining about the Orthodox Church/Orthodoxy hierarchy siding with the forces of conservatism?  Look at your sig.  It would seem, by your criteria, that he American Orthodox are fitting right into Orthodoxy.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 09:42:12 AM »

I remember hearing, in the program on demons and exorcism, the host and the guest mention Psalm 96:5, the idea that the Deity/deity/deities of the non-Jewish nations are "demons". I found that rather interesting, since other translations of that verse refer to non-Jewish religion as centered on "idols", which has a much less sinister ring to it. If "demons" is more accurate, then what would that mean for inter-religious dialogue? Is it good to dialogue with demon-worshippers, or the demon-possessed?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 10:48:58 AM »

I remember hearing, in the program on demons and exorcism, the host and the guest mention Psalm 96:5, the idea that the Deity/deity/deities of the non-Jewish nations are "demons". I found that rather interesting, since other translations of that verse refer to non-Jewish religion as centered on "idols", which has a much less sinister ring to it. If "demons" is more accurate, then what would that mean for inter-religious dialogue? Is it good to dialogue with demon-worshippers, or the demon-possessed?

I believe this 'demons' vs. 'idols' is a Septuagint vs. Masoretic thing.

Context matters: that the gods of the nations surrounding Israel in the Psalmist's time (e.g., Moloch, Astarte, etc) were demons would clearly not apply to Judaism and might not apply to other faiths influenced by Judeo-Christian monotheism (i.e., Islam, Sikhism <via Islam>, etc) or to the developed philosophies/theologies of groups like Hinduism and Buddhism (potentially separate from the more 'popular'/'folk' versions of these which are closer to old-fashioned polytheistic paganism).

As you are aware, there's a fair amount of controversy within Orthodoxy about what intra-Christianity dialogue should actually consist of, much less inter-religious dialogue. I'm not sure whether the deities worshipped by other religions being seen as idols or demons (disguising themselves--no one argues that anyone who's not explicitly Satanist/practitioner of black magic is knowingly worshipping demons) actually changes that debate within Orthodoxy very much.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 07:42:13 AM »

Here's links to the latest 2 episodes of Ancient Faith Today:

Christianity & Same-Sex Attraction

Spiritual, But Not Religious

- GTA

GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »

New AFT episode here:

Same-Sex Marriage: Separation of Church-State Issue, or a Moral Problem We Must Oppose?

- GTA

Tags: Ancient Faith Radio 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: