OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:23:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Metropolitan of Pittsburgh  (Read 1797 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: October 13, 2011, 07:17:12 PM »

The Holy Synod of the the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America named Bishop of Troas Savvas the new Metropolitan Bishop of Pittsburgh. Bishop Savvas received 7 votes, while Archimandrite Sevastianos Skordallos received 4, and Archimandrite Constantine Moralis 2.

http://usa.greekreporter.com/2011/10/13/savvas-of-troas-named-new-metropolitan-bishop-of-pittsburgh/

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:36:56 PM »

The Bishop has, several times on Facebook, said that he has NOT been elected Metropolitan.  Rather, he is one of three candidates that is being forwarded to the Ecumenical Patriarchate's synod at (I believe) the start of next month.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:44:53 PM »

The Holy Synod of the the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America named Bishop of Troas Savvas the new Metropolitan Bishop of Pittsburgh. Bishop Savvas received 7 votes, while Archimandrite Sevastianos Skordallos received 4, and Archimandrite Constantine Moralis 2.

http://usa.greekreporter.com/2011/10/13/savvas-of-troas-named-new-metropolitan-bishop-of-pittsburgh/

This report is not accurate! While Bishop Savas was the top vote getter, all three candidates are submitted to the Synod in Constantinople for election. The final election will not take place until November. What is also curious about this report is that the total votes = 13 while there are currently only 8 voting members on the Eparchial Synod of America.

Joseph
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 03:56:14 AM »

The Eparchial Synod of the GOA has submitted its nominations to the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, for the election of the new Metropolitan of Pittsburgh.  Please pray that the Lord guide their election, and that the Spirit fill, complete, guide, care for, and illumine our new Metropolitan.

Please also pray for the candidates: Bishop SAVAS of Troas, Fr. Sebastian Skordalos, and Fr. Constantine (Dean) Moralis.

Lord, have mercy!

Who would you like? No, you don't have to answer Wink

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 03:57:24 AM »

Got some big shoes to fill, but I'm sure the selection will be good.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:31:35 AM »

Yes, the Constitutional Charter of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, provides the Holy Eparchial [Provincial] Synod of America, the responsibility, after consultation with the Archdiocesan Council, to elect the Three Person Ballot (Triprosopo), which is fowarded to the Holy and Sacred Synod of Constantinople, which, as stated in the Charter, "according to the existing practice," elects the new metropolitan, from among those on the Three Person Ballot; however, the venerable Ecumenical Patriarchate is not restricted to that list, though the qualifications of a metropolitan specified in the Charter, limit the field of candidates.  Never in the history of the GOAA, has the Patriarchate not elected a regional hierarch, (whether an auxiliary bishop, bishop, or metropolitan--depending on the period of the history), other than one of those on the Three Person Ballot.  Further, although the language is not in the Charter, the practice is to elect the top vote getter, that's why some assume His Grace Bishop Savas is the selection.

In my recollection, I can't recall a ballot of a more qualified list of candidates. There have been occasions when the Eparchial Synod has included not well thought of clergy as the third choice, to help ensure the election of the top choice.

Bishop Savas has an excellent reputation and I've felt bad for him as he has been passed over for a metropolitan see more than once.  Interesting how the Lord works, having been passed over, he's now up for the metropolitan of the metropolis in which I reside.

The Metropolis of Pittsburgh has been blessed with exceptional hierarchical service over the years, Bishop Gerasimos of Abydos, of Blessed Memory, served its predecessor entity, the Sixth Archdiocesan District, 1967-76 (+/-), and Metropolitan Maximos of Pittsburgh were exceptionally spiritual hierarchs, who served the Pittsburgh Metropolis so very well.  Bishop Savas by all reports, will represent a continuation of that quality of hierarchical leadership.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:35:15 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 04:42:14 PM »

This report is not accurate! While Bishop Savas was the top vote getter, all three candidates are submitted to the Synod in Constantinople for election. The final election will not take place until November. What is also curious about this report is that the total votes = 13 while there are currently only 8 voting members on the Eparchial Synod of America.

What very likely happened is they took a second vote, since it's very likely that 7/8 voted for His Grace on the 1st pass, making a second vote necessary to fill out the ballot.  There must be 3 names, regardless of the Synod's overwhelming preference for one over the others.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 04:47:41 PM »

While everyone is right that the headline offered in the OP is misleading, it's not Michał's fault.  The original reporter to 'break' the story (since he gets leaks from a member of the synod) posted this sensationalistic headline to begin with, which other groups have run with.  Even though he is a graduate of HC/HC, he seemingly prefers false sensationalism to truth in his journalism (not just in his headlines).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 05:06:56 PM »

While everyone is right that the headline offered in the OP is misleading, it's not Michał's fault.  The original reporter to 'break' the story (since he gets leaks from a member of the synod) posted this sensationalistic headline to begin with, which other groups have run with.  Even though he is a graduate of HC/HC, he seemingly prefers false sensationalism to truth in his journalism (not just in his headlines).

Hmmm....as if we don't know who this reporter is...hmmm...

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »

Never in the history of the GOAA, has the Patriarchate not elected a regional hierarch, (whether an auxiliary bishop, bishop, or metropolitan--depending on the period of the history), other than one of those on the Three Person Ballot. 

While your point about regional hierarchy is true, I would also like to point out though that AFAIK, Archbishop Spyridon was not on the list & he was elected Archbishop.  just a thought. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 08:25:58 PM »

While everyone is right that the headline offered in the OP is misleading, it's not Michał's fault. 

I do not think anyone is blaming Michal for the report.

Joseph
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 09:40:32 AM »

Yes, the Constitutional Charter of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, provides the Holy Eparchial [Provincial] Synod of America, the responsibility, after consultation with the Archdiocesan Council, to elect the Three Person Ballot (Triprosopo), which is fowarded to the Holy and Sacred Synod of Constantinople, which, as stated in the Charter, "according to the existing practice," elects the new metropolitan, from among those on the Three Person Ballot; however, the venerable Ecumenical Patriarchate is not restricted to that list, though the qualifications of a metropolitan specified in the Charter, limit the field of candidates.  Never in the history of the GOAA, has the Patriarchate not elected a regional hierarch, (whether an auxiliary bishop, bishop, or metropolitan--depending on the period of the history), other than one of those on the Three Person Ballot.  Further, although the language is not in the Charter, the practice is to elect the top vote getter, that's why some assume His Grace Bishop Savas is the selection.

In my recollection, I can't recall a ballot of a more qualified list of candidates. There have been occasions when the Eparchial Synod has included not well thought of clergy as the third choice, to help ensure the election of the top choice.

Bishop Savas has an excellent reputation and I've felt bad for him as he has been passed over for a metropolitan see more than once.  Interesting how the Lord works, having been passed over, he's now up for the metropolitan of the metropolis in which I reside.

The Metropolis of Pittsburgh has been blessed with exceptional hierarchical service over the years, Bishop Gerasimos of Abydos, of Blessed Memory, served its predecessor entity, the Sixth Archdiocesan District, 1967-76 (+/-), and Metropolitan Maximos of Pittsburgh were exceptionally spiritual hierarchs, who served the Pittsburgh Metropolis so very well.  Bishop Savas by all reports, will represent a continuation of that quality of hierarchical leadership.

Thanks for explaining this.  I thought from the article that the the EP Synod was just confirming the election.
By the way, what role do the liaty play in the election of a bishop?
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 02:26:33 PM »

The only role the laity have in the elections of hierarchs in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America is the consultation with the Archdiocesan Council prior to the voting by the Holy Eparchial Synod of America.  The eligible list of auxiliary bishops and celebate priests is sent to the Archdiocesan Council members which includes priests and laity, who respond with their preferences for nomination of candidates for the vacant see.  It is assumed the the Eparchial Synod considers the nominations of the Archdiocesan Council. As limited as the role of the priests and laity is, it is a progressive opportunity that was added to the 2003 Constitutional Charter.  

Between 1931 and 2003, the charters ('31 & '79)  had no provision for lay input in episcopal elections.  The initial charter of 1923 had a substantial role for laity, requiring nominations by the diocesan assembly (composed of representatives of each parish) of the vacant diocese, to the Holy Synod of Bishops of America, which elected the new bishop, the referral to Constantinople was for confirmation of the election.  The GOAA lost a lot from the essentially autonomous charter which the Ecumenical Patriarchate had issued upon the founding of the eparchy, as the 1931 charter limited the role of the priests and laity of the Archdiocese of America in episcopal elections (and it eliminated the Holy Synod entrusting essentially exclusive ruling authority in the Archbishop of America, who was assisted by auxiliary bishops, although the Clergy-Laity Congress was more aggressive in that era compared with today).  

The current charter granted at least a consultative role to the priests and laity.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:31:45 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 06:57:33 PM »

"Savas, tou Sevasmiotatou ke Theoprovlitou Mitropolitou,
Tis Hagiotatis Mitropoleos Pittsvourgou,
Imon de Patros ke Pimenarhou,
Pola ta Eti!"

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 09:02:15 PM »

Axios! Many years to the new Metropolitan. He has large shoes to fill and he will be up to the task, no doubt!
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 09:17:46 PM »

Axios! Many years !

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 09:55:16 PM »

Axios!

He's been a Facebook friend for some time, and from his wise and informative posts, I think he'll be a great Metropolitan!

Many Years!

(Funny thing was FB would not permit him to change his username from Savas Zembillas, but, they allowed him to "add on" to it.
Now he is known as Savas Zembillas (Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh).

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 11:21:52 PM »

Axios! Eis polla eti Despota!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 03:19:10 AM »

Axios! Many years to you master!

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 06:29:07 AM »

Annual Clergy-Laity Assembly of the Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh, Thursday, May 3, 2012 thru Saturday, May 5, 2012 at Antiochian Village; the first Metropolis Assembly at which Metropolitan Savas will preside.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: