OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 03:28:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to become a Greek Orthodox priest and i need some help!!  (Read 1795 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »

The sad state of affairs for the Greek Orthodox Church here in Greece.

Close links between the Greek state and the Orthodox Church are turning from a blessing for the clergy into a curse as the debt-laden government struggles to fund the ancient institution, just as impoverished Greeks need its charitable work most.

Starved of money as the state makes huge spending cuts, the deeply conservative church which grew from one of the earliest centers of Christianity is seeking new sources of funds.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/20/us-greece-church-idUSBRE83J1A820120420
How does this tie in to the question asked of us in the OP?

Because the thread started to talk about wages, and the fact he wanted to be a Greek Orthodox Priest, that would not be a good idea in Greece for a quite some time....
I would suggest that anyone who's concerned about what he can earn as a priest probably shouldn't even become a priest. One should not see the priesthood merely as a way to earn an income.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2012, 11:17:23 AM »

Because the thread started to talk about wages, and the fact he wanted to be a Greek Orthodox Priest, that would not be a good idea in Greece for a quite some time....

i think it's a very good idea. you would know you are not doing it for the money.
the church needs priests like that.
 Smiley
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 11:36:27 AM »

To say it doesn't pay much can be an understatement. Most of the priests I've known here have been unpaid except for expenses and have effectively been working two jobs, a secular one to support their family and their work as a priest - that really is dedication. I certainly agree that if you are looking for a good income you should look elsewhere (certainly in the west, my experience in Romania has been varied) and for all Augustin's quips, it's certainly not an easy job, not in any case when the priest takes it seriously, which I'm happy to say in my experience the majority have.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »

Being a priest is quite an easy job. I might consider becoming one in the future too.
I for one would be proud to call you my spiritual father.
I would slap you with whatever sacred object happened to be around if you ever called me that.
And I would graciously accept your fatherly discipline. Smiley

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2012, 01:40:50 PM »

Close links between the Greek state and the Orthodox Church are turning from a blessing for the clergy into a curse as the debt-laden government struggles to fund the ancient institution, just as impoverished Greeks need its charitable work most.

Starved of money as the state makes huge spending cuts, the deeply conservative church which grew from one of the earliest centers of Christianity is seeking new sources of funds.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/20/us-greece-church-idUSBRE83J1A820120420

Thank you JR; you were indeed on topic. However, it is easy to get sidetracked and l urge us all to be watchful. Thanks, Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 02:13:41 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:14:57 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »

I would suggest that anyone who's concerned about what he can earn as a priest probably shouldn't even become a priest. One should not see the priesthood merely as a way to earn an income.

So it is unreasonable for someone who is concerned about whether or not he will have a sufficient income to feed his family, to consider becoming a priest?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: