OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:22:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to become a Greek Orthodox priest and i need some help!!  (Read 1819 times) Average Rating: 0
God Bless3232

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I have been a Greek Orthodox Christian all my life!!! Down with the atheists

« on: April 22, 2012, 12:48:16 PM »

Hello all,

I am a teenager and i have always wanted to become a priest. What are the steps that you have to take and what grade 11/12 courses must i take to get into theology. After high school where must i apply and where do i go after that. Also, what is a priest's annual salary and some other important information i should know

Thanks you and God Bless+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »

Take a wide variety of course in High School. Then go to a regular school(s) to get a bachelor degree; IMO something that will help you understand people or the world in general would probably be best... psychology or anthropology or something. Anyway, get your BA or BS and then go to an Orthodox school for your Master of Divinity (probably Holy Cross). After that you get to work long hours for low pay doing the work of God.

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »

Being a priest is quite an easy job. I might consider becoming one in the future too.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:22:35 PM »

Take a wide variety of course in High School. Then go to a regular school(s) to get a bachelor degree; IMO something that will help you understand people or the world in general would probably be best... psychology or anthropology or something. Anyway, get your BA or BS and then go to an Orthodox school for your Master of Divinity (probably Holy Cross). After that you get to work long hours for low pay doing the work of God.

This looks to be true.

Bless you and good luck, GB3232.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »

Hello all,

I am a teenager and i have always wanted to become a priest. What are the steps that you have to take and what grade 11/12 courses must i take to get into theology. After high school where must i apply and where do i go after that. Also, what is a priest's annual salary and some other important information i should know

You're a teenager. Don't ever give up your dream of becoming a priest, but do take some time to just grow up and become a well-rounded man first. You don't have to have everything happen for you now. Maybe once you're 28 and married is it wise to pursue the call to the priesthood more earnestly.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:26:32 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 01:57:30 PM »

Hello all,

Don't worry about what courses you should be taking in high school, but once you are in your 11th and 12th grade years, I would recommend that you speak with your priest about your desire to pursue the priesthood. Ask him these questions and follow his guidance. There are all sorts of ways he could direct you, and as your priest it's his job to get you ready for seminary and bless you on your way. He may have you go to get a regular BA or BS, maybe in something like psych or history or some other degree that would be of general assistance. He may send you to an Orthodox college for a pre-seminary type of education (like St. Katherine's in Cali or Hellenic College in Brookline, MA) that will teach you about Orthodox theology and practice.

After this, and once you've received a blessing from your priest and your bishop, you'll be off to seminary (probably Holy Cross, as was said earlier) and Lord willing, eventually be ordained a priest if it is decided you are fitting to serve in such a capacity (axios!). Priests work long hours, and do not receive much pay. The reward for clergy is to struggle faithfully in the vineyard of Christ and reap treasure in heaven.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most Orthodox Christians not ordain into a priest until somebody is 33 years old?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most Orthodox Christians not ordain into a priest until somebody is 33 years old?

I thought the canonical ages were something along the lines of 25 for deacons, 30 for priests, and 35 for bishops, but even if that's the case, canons are applied by bishops and not set in stone. You'd be at least mid 20's by the time you finish school... a half dozen years ago a greek old calendarist group--who are generally sticklers for canons--consecrated several bishops that young.  *shrugs*

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »

I thought the canonical ages were something along the lines of 25 for deacons, 30 for priests, and 35 for bishops, but even if that's the case, canons are applied by bishops and not set in stone. You'd be at least mid 20's by the time you finish school... a half dozen years ago a greek old calendarist group--who are generally sticklers for canons--consecrated several bishops that young.  *shrugs*

Yeah I think OCA @ St. Vladimir's seminary was 33.   In fact, you actually don't even need to attend a seminary to get ordained so obviously there is some type of varied prerequisites. 

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 03:23:26 PM »

Being a priest is quite an easy job. I might consider becoming one in the future too.

Really?  You apparently don't know all the things that priests do, if you think it's easy.  It's long hours, dealing with crazy people, who don't even know what they want...it pays little...people are always complaining....

However, I am sure there is nothing better than being a priest in the Church of our Lord!  ....if only I were born a man.

It's a huge burden they carry...and we are grateful to have them!!!!

God bless all our priests!!!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »

compared to tilling and ploughing or mining being a priest used to be a piece of cake. it even entered the common wisdom as such.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »

liza symonenko, an old timer falling for augustin717s jokes?!
 Wink
although they do say in romania that a priest's wife's job is to 'go around collecting money'.
it seems he's not the only one who jokes about the priest's job. not all priests take it so seriously either over there.

to the original poster,
pray to God for humility and wisdom.
you will find that these come in abundance following suffering and poverty.
being a college student should help supply the suffering and poverty, but it's up to God to give you all the wisdom and humility u need for such a great job.
the calling to the priesthood comes only from God, and the best qualification is to be totally devoted to God so that you will do anything for Him.
be willing to be a monk,
be willing to be married to an imperfect woman and have imperfect children,
be willing to fail at some things in life and to be laughed at,
be willing to work hard and walk miles in the rain (coz u can't afford the bus),
be willing to wake early every day to pray
and you will have just started the road ahead.

study the Bible and pray in most of your free time.
memorise several (at least) psalms and most of yr regular prayers.
give to those who ask, pray for those who persecute you and treat all around you with fairness and gentleness.
find an orthodox church and stick to it through good times and bad and don't run away from 'problem parishioners' instead, make them yr good friends and be an example to all through yr wisdom and kind and loving words.

and, most of all, develop a strong sense of yr own sins and unworthiness to serve our great God.

then, if u do all this, u may not be made a priest, but u will be a good Christian and u will be successful in the life God calls u to.
and, maybe, u may be made a priest.
 Smiley
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »

compared to tilling and ploughing or mining being a priest used to be a piece of cake. it even entered the common wisdom as such.
Ever since neolithic settlements, shaman/En/priest has been a pretty sweet gig. I suppose industrialization and the rise of the middle class changed that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:31:22 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 04:50:12 PM »

However, I am sure there is nothing better than being a priest in the Church of our Lord!  ....if only I were born a man.
There is something better than being as priest... I mean being a matushka. Wouldn't that be something for you?
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »

Really?  You apparently don't know all the things that priests do, if you think it's easy.  It's long hours, dealing with crazy people, who don't even know what they want...it pays little...people are always complaining....

Long hours, impossible demands, crazy clients and mediocre wages...sounds like my job. 
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 06:33:33 PM »

Above quoat is money, with the exeption of the underlined and bolded part: "After that you get to work long hours for low pay doing the work of God"

I notice u r greek orthodox thats why i said the above...greek priests make good money! expect to start off mid to high $40k a year.
good luck and god guide you if he wahts you to be a priest.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »

I thought I was reading my own post from a while back  Wink

Talk to a priest.  This is the best way to figure out if you have a calling to the priesthood.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »

Above quoat is money, with the exeption of the underlined and bolded part: "After that you get to work long hours for low pay doing the work of God"

I notice u r greek orthodox thats why i said the above...greek priests make good money! expect to start off mid to high $40k a year.

Do Greek priests really make more money than their counterparts in other jurisdictions?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »

Do Greek priests really make more money than their counterparts in other jurisdictions?

I heard that, since the Greek economy is going down-hill so rapidly, Greek clergy are receiving many cuts in their paychecks.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »

Fwiw there was a recent thread covering some of this.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 06:58:12 PM »

That's a little more than what our OCA priest makes now, and he's been in the priesthood about 7 years now.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »

I for one would be proud to call you my spiritual father.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »

YES! i was supised when i found a pay scale (cant find it right now) the pay varies depending on the years of service (it can go up above $100k).

And someone said abt the pay cuts---thats in Greece. They make aprox 1000 uros a month and they are geting cuts like regular citizens. But i was reffering to the Greek orthodox church in america---they make bank!
il see if i can fing the pay scale.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 08:26:40 PM »

YES! i was supised when i found a pay scale (cant find it right now) the pay varies depending on the years of service (it can go up above $100k).

And someone said abt the pay cuts---thats in Greece. They make aprox 1000 uros a month and they are geting cuts like regular citizens. But i was reffering to the Greek orthodox church in america---they make bank!
il see if i can fing the pay scale.

This one?

Fwiw there was a recent thread covering some of this.

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »

Ok found it: http://www.denver.goarch.org/protocols/2010-Protocols/protocol-10-10-encl_1.pdf

A. SALARY and HOUSING ALLOWANCE
YEARS OF SERVICE REMUNERATION
RANGE
Up to 5 years $49,128 - $66,528
6 – 10 years $66,528 - $74,136
1 – 15 years $74,136 - $84,960
6 – 20 years $84,960 - $94,440
1 – 25 years $94,440 - $101,136
6 – 30 years $101,136 - $107,616
1 – 35 years $107,616 - $113,856
Over 35 years $113,856 - $120,144
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »

Ok found it: http://www.denver.goarch.org/protocols/2010-Protocols/protocol-10-10-encl_1.pdf

RANGE

It was mentioned in the other thread that this doesn't really reflect reality with any consistency.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »

RANGE

It was mentioned in the other thread that this doesn't really reflect reality with any consistency.

Even if it did, a professional with over thirty-five years experience in his particular discipline and multiple academic degrees might be, in another context, quite disappointed with only US$100k a year.

I'm not saying it's a small amount of money, only that money can't really buy that kind of knowledge and expertise.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 09:04:52 PM »

f

RANGE

I can NEXT to assure you this is not accurate.    Many moons ago, I knew the top paid OCA priest in America.  Their family was very middle class in living.  Many churches are small parishes too, sometimes with only 30-40 people including men, women, and children.  (Sometimes even smaller).  No way are they going to be able to afford 107k a year.

But then again, which bishop was that found with a 100k watch?  LOL

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »

That was the Patriarch of Moscow. Quite a bit higher up the ladder than your typical priest. Didn't he receive it as a gift anyway?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »

I would slap you with whatever sacred object happened to be around if you ever called me that.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »

I would slap you with whatever sacred object happened to be around if you ever called me that.
But Geronda, what of my obediences?

And how will I know whether to travel abroad in the Netherlands or in Portugal this summer?

HOW WILL I KNOW WHAT TO PACK?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:32:15 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 10:42:03 PM »

augustin speaks as he does in his last post out of humility! It only further proves his worthiness to be a spiritual father!

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 11:39:16 PM »

That's a little more than what our OCA priest makes now, and he's been in the priesthood about 7 years now.

Of course, Greek priests tend to have a much larger flock to attend to, which means more work.  At the Greek parish I attended when I was at ASU, for example, there were a few hundred parishioners on most Sundays, if I'm not mistaken, and yet we had just one priest.  Not to mention any non-attending Greeks in the area, who would look to the Church to provide baptisms and marriages and funerals.

By contrast, the OCA parish near me has an average of 120-150 people a Sunday.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 11:39:16 PM »

RANGE

Keep in mind that includes the housing allowance, which is taxed at - I believe - the same rate as the actual income.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 11:39:56 PM »

ok, its not first hand experience i have with the pay scale chart, just so we are clear.

its just where iv been directed to find out when i asked someone who would know. The reason i had asked was cuse i was suprised at one particular priests home/location, at that time it was in an area where it would have been worth at least 1mill.

The chart i understand indeed does go buy the size of the church parish and yrs of service. that said im still kinda impressed by the amts evenif it turns out to be less then what is quoated. Cause i was under the impression of priests "taking a vow of poverty". Not so in the Greek Orthodox Church.

Though what i can say from personal experince is this: iv known a few Priests on a personal lvl (in the past) and none of them were hurting money wise. they all had a beutifull house with nice furniture and two nice cars kids in privat school and they had the retirement plan in place and medical ins was in place as well. wish i was that well off, financially.

Ok, enough gossiping Grin

BTW: Its a hard job and i belive they are worth it, all priests not just the Greek's. Also take into consideration that they are held at a higher degree of responcibility than us, for there flock. whats that saying "the road to hell is lined by priests skulls" Shocked
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 12:04:44 AM »

And how will I know whether to travel abroad in the Netherlands or in Portugal this summer?

Either location you'll need much Old Calendar Theophany holy water, as your meals will undoubtedly be prepared by heterodox if not atheistic pagan hands. Sprinkle on foodstuffs to break the curse.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 12:15:30 AM »

Either location you'll need much Old Calendar Theophany holy water, as your meals will undoubtedly be prepared by heterodox if not atheistic pagan hands. Sprinkle on foodstuffs to break the curse.
The problem is, the local Old Calendarists won't hand any over.

They say that they've been running on vapors ever since 1582, when the Pope de-graced most of the world's water supply.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:15:38 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 12:18:25 AM »

The problem is, the local Old Calendarists won't hand any over.

Avoid the zealots and approach your nearest compromising World Orthodox Old Calendar parish like Serbs or Russians. I even hear that it still works if they are Greek-Catholics on the Old Calendar, like many Ukrainian Catholics in America. Apparently the calendar is the main thing that makes it work. Something about the moon's position or something.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 02:25:30 AM »

RANGE

Even if it did, a professional with over thirty-five years experience in his particular discipline and multiple academic degrees might be, in another context, quite disappointed with only US$100k a year.

I'm not saying it's a small amount of money, only that money can't really buy that kind of knowledge and expertise.

Yep. I work for a fortune 500 company and that looks fairly similar to our (middle-management) pay-scale. Except that
a) our people actually make the amount in the payscale rather than it being a target the parish may or may not meet
b) most of our people don't have a post-grad degree like most American priests.
c) I think I may know one person in the company who works hours comparable to every priest I've ever known.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:28:41 AM by witega » Logged

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 02:41:42 AM »

May God continue to bless you in your desire to serve in the Vineyard of our Lord.  I suggest you consult with your parish priest, you will need him-your spiritual father, and the metropolitan of the metropolis in which your parish resides, to endorse your application.

Because of the comprehensive responsibilities of the priest, any discipline will help you in your preparation.  I think grammar is important, you will need to do a lot of reading, complicated reading like the scriptures and the writings of the Church Fathers, in your studies.  Look over the books available through the Orthodox bookstores, especially those of all the seminaries, Holy Cross, St. Vladimir, St. Tikhon, Christ the Savior, and the Ukrainian seminary in South Bound Brook, NJ (I can't think of its name), which offer much information as a basis for your study of theology.  Look over the websites of all the North American ecclesial jurisdictions, all of which have a vast array of information for study and spiritual growth.  The links are available through the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops website.  The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and most (if not all) of the Holy Orthodox Churches offer websites with interesting information, likewise.  I'm not advocating that you ignore your non-ecclesial interests, everyone needs variety in life.  If you are on facebook, "friend" Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh, and you will see how diverse are his reading interests. Facebook offers plenty of Orthodox pages too; search them and see how many come up.

I recommend you plan on attending Hellenic College in Brookline, Mass, a fully accredited undergraduate college, which offers lots of Orthodox religious studies courses that are not available in any other American undergraduate institution.  Depending on your knowledge of Greek, HC offers course work throughout the four years of undergraduate studies, so that your Greek language skills are up to what is needed for seminary studies.  I think there is a discount on tuition, when you enter the pre-theology program, a declaration of your intent to become a priest.  The Archbishop Iakovos Leadership 100 Foundation offers substantial tuition assistance to seminary students, and undergraduates who are enrolled in pre-theology, I think.  Visit the campus when you can, perhaps your parish priest can arrange for someone to offer you a tour.  If you attend a secular or Roman Catholic undergraduate school, you might need more than 3 years for seminary due to credit transfer issues.

Upon graduation from Hellenic College, Holy Cross School of Theology would be the natural next step, which is also accredited and offers a full time 3 year course of study.  Depending on your financial situation, Leadership 100 offers tuition assistance and student loan repayment for priests assigned to parishes in the Holy Archdiocese.

The Clergy-Compensation schedule of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOAA) is listed above in reply No. 24.  It is a generous package, requiring the parish to fully support a competitive health care plan for the priest and his family and the lease of an automobile, or travel compensation which amounts to the cost of a car lease, gas, and insurance.  The priest is responsible to pay into the Clergy pension program, 2% or so, I think, of his salary; the parishes are required to support the pension system managed by the Holy Archdiocese, but they do not contribute to their priest's pension plan directly. It is a traditional guaranteed pension plan, something not being offered by most private sector employees these days.  Some of the parishes are granting annual salary and housing allowance increases within the band based on the priests seniority, so that the priest will be remunerated at the top of the pay band when he achieves that level of seniority.  This is typically far in excess of a cost of living increase.  Today, the Metropolitan tells the Parish Council what will be the starting salary.  Some good priests are remunerated higher than the band.  But be aware that roughly 1/3rd of the 535 parishes in the GOAA are two small or do not have the resources to compensate their priests in accordance with the scale.  Typically, there are priests who have experienced problems in their ministries, perhaps they do offer comprehensive ministries, who are assigned to these parishes, but also, often a young or another priest may be assigned to parishes like these in an effort to rejuvenate the parish.  (I know a priest who was assigned to two declining parishes, in which he inspired a rejuvenation of those parishes, and is now serving one of the largest parishes in the Holy Archdiocese.)  Also, note that if a priest is assigned to one of the few parishes that offer a residence (rectory) for their priests, the salary in the compensation schedule is reduced proportionately.

Attend all the Divine Services offered by your parish as much as you can; and activities offered by your metropolis.  You may wish to attend Catechism and Bible Study if your parish or a neighboring parish offers these services.  Attending services and activities in nearby Orthodox parishes will benefit you also; don't let our jurisdictional differences keep you away from enjoying the benefits of God-blessed pan-Orthodox fellowship.  Such experience will serve you well as a priest too.  Consider service as an Altar Boy in the Sanctuary also.

The GOAA ordains deacons and priests, who are determined qualified by the seminary upon graduation, once they are married, if marriage is their plan.

I sincerely wish you the very best in your path to serving our Holy Church as a priest.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:00:37 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 02:56:48 AM »

Hello all,

As I said earlier, I think it best just as general advice for anyone your age seeking a vocation: Don't worry too much about what you need to do to become a priest. Just focus on growing up first.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2012, 03:47:45 AM »

Not-with-standing all my "advice," Peter's comments are certainly most appropriate.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2012, 04:51:39 AM »

The sad state of affairs for the Greek Orthodox Church here in Greece.

Close links between the Greek state and the Orthodox Church are turning from a blessing for the clergy into a curse as the debt-laden government struggles to fund the ancient institution, just as impoverished Greeks need its charitable work most.

Starved of money as the state makes huge spending cuts, the deeply conservative church which grew from one of the earliest centers of Christianity is seeking new sources of funds.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/20/us-greece-church-idUSBRE83J1A820120420

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »

Close links between the Greek state and the Orthodox Church are turning from a blessing for the clergy into a curse as the debt-laden government struggles to fund the ancient institution, just as impoverished Greeks need its charitable work most.

Starved of money as the state makes huge spending cuts, the deeply conservative church which grew from one of the earliest centers of Christianity is seeking new sources of funds.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/20/us-greece-church-idUSBRE83J1A820120420
How does this tie in to the question asked of us in the OP?
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2012, 09:23:17 AM »

Because the thread started to talk about wages, and the fact he wanted to be a Greek Orthodox Priest, that would not be a good idea in Greece for a quite some time....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:25:52 AM by JR » Logged

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »

Because the thread started to talk about wages, and the fact he wanted to be a Greek Orthodox Priest, that would not be a good idea in Greece for a quite some time....
I would suggest that anyone who's concerned about what he can earn as a priest probably shouldn't even become a priest. One should not see the priesthood merely as a way to earn an income.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2012, 11:17:23 AM »

i think it's a very good idea. you would know you are not doing it for the money.
the church needs priests like that.
 Smiley
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 11:36:27 AM »

To say it doesn't pay much can be an understatement. Most of the priests I've known here have been unpaid except for expenses and have effectively been working two jobs, a secular one to support their family and their work as a priest - that really is dedication. I certainly agree that if you are looking for a good income you should look elsewhere (certainly in the west, my experience in Romania has been varied) and for all Augustin's quips, it's certainly not an easy job, not in any case when the priest takes it seriously, which I'm happy to say in my experience the majority have.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »

And I would graciously accept your fatherly discipline. Smiley

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2012, 01:40:50 PM »

Thank you JR; you were indeed on topic. However, it is easy to get sidetracked and l urge us all to be watchful. Thanks, Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 02:13:41 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:14:57 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »

I would suggest that anyone who's concerned about what he can earn as a priest probably shouldn't even become a priest. One should not see the priesthood merely as a way to earn an income.

So it is unreasonable for someone who is concerned about whether or not he will have a sufficient income to feed his family, to consider becoming a priest?

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: