OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 07:26:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Is St. John Chrysostom So Revered?  (Read 950 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: April 22, 2012, 03:52:27 AM »

I ask this not out of offense, but out of true curiousity. In the Orthodox Church, many people absolutely love St. John Chrysostom and we even have him as one of our three Holy Heirarchs. But, my question is, why is he revered and regarded so highly? What exactly did he do that earned him all of this? All I know is that he gave some amazing sermons (Hence the Goldenmouth) and gave to the poor. Other than that, I am not aware of much else. I do not see how he really influenced the Orthodox Church theologically in any amazingly significant way like St. Athanasius did and I do not think he has a really inspiring conversion story, autobiography that touches millions of people like St. Augustine. Yet, he is still regarded as being even higher or at least equal in terms of significance and reverence as these figures but I do not understand why. I could think of a dozen saints who have inspired me more than St. John Chrysostom and seem more significant in my opinion, so why do we revere him so much? Is St. John Chrysostom basically the 'Tupac' of the Saints in terms that he is probably more respected and highly regarded than all of the others even though there are actually dozens of Saints which are more inspirational than him? Once again, I mean no disrespect. I truly ask this out of curiousity.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 04:02:03 AM »

I ask this not out of offense, but out of true curiousity. In the Orthodox Church, many people absolutely love St. John Chrysostom and we even have him as one of our three Holy Heirarchs. But, my question is, why is he revered and regarded so highly? What exactly did he do that earned him all of this? All I know is that he gave some amazing sermons (Hence the Goldenmouth) and gave to the poor. Other than that, I am not aware of much else. I do not see how he really influenced the Orthodox Church theologically in any amazingly significant way like St. Athanasius did and I do not think he has a really inspiring conversion story, autobiography that touches millions of people like St. Augustine. Yet, he is still regarded as being even higher or at least equal in terms of significance and reverence as these figures but I do not understand why. I could think of a dozen saints who have inspired me more than St. John Chrysostom and seem more significant in my opinion, so why do we revere him so much? Is St. John Chrysostom basically the 'Tupac' of the Saints in terms that he is probably more respected and highly regarded than all of the others even though there are actually dozens of Saints which are more inspirational than him? Once again, I mean no disrespect. I truly ask this out of curiousity.

Considering that we use a liturgy with his name on for most of the year...

But if that's not enough, he is also remembered for his homilies. His paschal homily, for example, is traditionally read during the Easter Liturgy.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:07:36 AM »

But if that's not enough, he is also remembered for his homilies. His paschal homily, for example, is traditionally read during the Easter Liturgy.

This is my question; why do we celebrate his liturgy most of the year? What makes it so unique compared to others? And, yeah his homilies are good, but I found the Confessions by St. Augustine ten times more inspirational than St. John Chrysostom's greatest homily. Just giving a few homilies does not really seem to answer why he receives so much reverence. What is so unique about him? I honestly tried to get into him before, pray to him and read his autobiography and all but I just was not 'feeling it' if you will no matter how hard I tried.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:08:56 AM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 04:27:01 AM »

This is my question; why do we celebrate his liturgy most of the year? What makes it so unique compared to others? And, yeah his homilies are good, but I found the Confessions by St. Augustine ten times more inspirational than St. John Chrysostom's greatest homily. Just giving a few homilies does not really seem to answer why he receives so much reverence. What is so unique about him? I honestly tried to get into him before, pray to him and read his autobiography and all but I just was not 'feeling it' if you will no matter how hard I tried.

Is it a man's ideas which make him holy or is it his way of life? St. John Chrysostom was also deposed unjustly and sent into exile because part of his message was not so popular with the court in Constantinople. He was a holy man, and is remembered for his care of his flock. I think you are maybe giving too much weight to philosophical contribution over a person's way of life. In respect to his homilies and his way of life, there really is no good reason why he should not be remembered along with the other great saints like St. Basil, St. Gregory the Theologian, St. Maximus the Confessor, etc.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:28:51 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 06:04:53 AM »

Well, I personally have come to have great interest in the man, since I do a lot of public speaking. Don't neglect the power of a great speech.

And a comparison to Tupac, really? How about the Johann Sebastian Bach of Saints? Or in more modern terms, I suppose something like the Beatles.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 06:19:17 AM »

I think in some sense he's like the dream spiritual father. He was fairly pastorally-sensitive, yet could be stern and direct when necessary. He tried to reach people where they were, for example translating works into the local language rather than insisting that people learn Greek/Latin. He could have lived as luxuriously as he wanted (after he got to Constantinople anyway), but lived a modest lifestyle. He was capable of great sermons, yet focused not on his own ideas or speculations so much as discussing what Scripture said. He wrote a lot of stuff on Scripture, which later authors (e.g. St. Theophylact) apparently thought worthy of following closely. He actually did have some good theological stuff to say (e.g. on gender, anthropology, etc.), but it was often layered with practical ideas and scriptural interpretation. His liturgy is still used (if in modified form), whether because it is superior or not I don't know. Also, he did not want to be a clergyman, but eventually agreed to it (in other words, he didn't want to be a clergyman for fame, power, etc.).

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »

he he, giving amazing sermons and giving to the poor just about sums up what we are supposed to be doing!
 Smiley
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 10:08:05 AM »

I think in some sense he's like the dream spiritual father. He was fairly pastorally-sensitive, yet could be stern and direct when necessary. He tried to reach people where they were, for example translating works into the local language rather than insisting that people learn Greek/Latin. He could have lived as luxuriously as he wanted (after he got to Constantinople anyway), but lived a modest lifestyle. He was capable of great sermons, yet focused not on his own ideas or speculations so much as discussing what Scripture said. He wrote a lot of stuff on Scripture, which later authors (e.g. St. Theophylact) apparently thought worthy of following closely. He actually did have some good theological stuff to say (e.g. on gender, anthropology, etc.), but it was often layered with practical ideas and scriptural interpretation. His liturgy is still used (if in modified form), whether because it is superior or not I don't know. Also, he did not want to be a clergyman, but eventually agreed to it (in other words, he didn't want to be a clergyman for fame, power, etc.).
He was a man for the common folk, and not one who flatters the powerful.  It was his button pushing technique on the queen and his protection of those persecuted that got him in trouble.  But yes, he was not like any other.  He was arguably a martyr.  On the end of his life, be said "Glory to God in all things.". Because of this great example, the injustice done against him, his holiness, his practical and pastoral care, his oratory skills, and his devotion to the faith, he stood out as one heck of a perfect example, even praised by our own Coptic church, despite the bad blood with the Antiochian school he belonged to.

If you pretty much read about his life, you can't help but marvel.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 10:40:03 AM »

Btw, using his DL most of the year is somewhat recent, post Vatican schism.  Before the DL of St. Basil was used, it usage today on major feasts and during Lent is the vestige of this practice.

St. John was the first Archbishop/proto-patriarch to put Constantinople in the big league with the other sees (St. Gregory's tenure was clouded).  As his see rose, so did his reputation.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 10:59:28 AM »

Btw, using his DL most of the year is somewhat recent, post Vatican schism.  Before the DL of St. Basil was used, it usage today on major feasts and during Lent is the vestige of this practice.
What caused this change? Is it still that way in the old world?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »

More importantly why did Croatia fabricate a legend regarding him? Eventhough the story is awesome, it makes little sense compared to the actual life he led.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »

Just a handy little detail: if you wish to read some of his sermons, Google Books has pdf files of them. Just do a search for his name there.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »

St. John is often said to "have the mind of the Apostle Paul." There are even stories of people seeing him writing his commentaries at night, being assisted by a short, gruff bald man. It later would come out that this was indeed St. Paul himself!

This saint's pastoral care, particularly his defense of true Christian living in the face of a debaucherous imperial court and great many good works earns him great reverence among the Orthodox faithful.

That said, I don't have a big, personal devotion to him. He's not even my favorite of the Three Holy Hierarchs, and I know plenty of others that would say the same.

EDIT: Some could also say the same thing about why is there such a big devotion to other saints, like St. Nicholas. Sure, he did a lot of neat things...but in fact, we know relatively little about his life, and have no writings of his to speak of. At least we have St. John's homilies and commentaries.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:40:13 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 02:46:53 PM »

Should we as an Orthodox Christians have some kind of special devotion to these celebrity Saints like John Chrysostom or are we free to pick our own favourites?

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 03:50:41 PM »

How many saints do we have that were kidnapped from somewhere else to be made bishop of a city because of his preaching, and then exiled (he died on his march into exile) from that same city because of his preaching?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 03:56:33 PM »

Should we as an Orthodox Christians have some kind of special devotion to these celebrity Saints like John Chrysostom or are we free to pick our own favourites?

Devotion to the saints is very much a personal thing. It is, fundamentally, a relationship and just as you are not required to be best friends with the head of the parish council when you get along better/have more in common with the quiet guy in the corner, if it's a saint so obscure that I can't even think of his name to use as an example here that you feel more connection with than St. Nicholas or St. John Chrysostom or St. Barbara, that is definitely your own business.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »

if it's a saint so obscure that I can't even think of his name to use as an example here

You have just adequatly descriped my Patron Saint.  angel

EDIT: Thank you for reminding of him since I completely forgot that according to Finnish calendar his feast day was yesterday. It seems that my Patron is scolding me for forgotting him. police

St. Januarius, pray for us!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:53:52 PM by Alpo » Logged

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »

if it's a saint so obscure that I can't even think of his name to use as an example here

EDIT: Thank you for reminding of him since I completely forgot that according to Finnish calendar his feast day was yesterday. It seems that my Patron is scolding me for forgotting him. police

Mine as well--and yes one of the drawbacks to having an obscure saint as a patron is that if you forget his feast day, no one is going to remind you. (The other big one is that is it's not possible to get 'ready-made' icons--it's a custom order or nothing).

St. Caedmon, pray to God for us!

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 05:32:59 PM »

Mine as well--and yes one of the drawbacks to having an obscure saint as a patron is that if you forget his feast day, no one is going to remind you. (The other big one is that is it's not possible to get 'ready-made' icons--it's a custom order or nothing).

St. Caedmon, pray to God for us!

Haha. I know this struggle. Grin

Holy Martyr Benjamin, pray to God for us!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »

In the words of Presvytera Jeannie, it would be "hard to find someone more orthodox" than the blessed St John called Chrysostom.

I hold his memory particularly close to my heart. May it be eternal.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: