OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 05:07:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: preparation for my first lent  (Read 530 times) Average Rating: 0
raffisx

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Church

« on: February 09, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »

In the name of our lord Jesus Christ .

Good evening fellow brethren .

I haven't posted to many times on this forum . but I would like you to please assist me to prepare for my first ever lent .
Following the Armenian church traditions I had two options . daily fast or fast on Wednesday and Fridays .

I have chosen to carry out the daily fast for the 7 weeks . I'm sure it has been asked many times , if you could firstly pray for me and guide me through this spiritual time , and if you may also show me the correct way to fast , what I may or may not eat and do .

I have read some church materials but would also like your guidance .

Blessings to you and your families

Humbly greatful
Raffi.

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »

My Best advice to you Raffi would be to follow the scriptures as you enter the fast with the preparatory Sundays, the daily readings of Great Lent. I have found them to be most advantageous in my entering into and observing Great Lent. The scriptures take us on a journey to Pascha that will help us to do the three things we are asked to increase with fervour for during Great Lent ---Fasting, Prayer, and Almsgiving. May you have a blessed Lent.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 04:03:42 PM »

Being as I came into the Church during last years Lent, I was to new to try it out (they didn't want me to fall off the deep end). So this year will be my first lent. Since I've never done lent, I'll only share what I know and what I'll try. I've been learning a lot on Ancient Faith Radio, it's an Orthodox Podcast website and you can search for Lent related podcast (I'll post the link with the search results for you here you have to look for them through the search results, listen to the ones that are titled something like "Preparing for Lent")

Lent is a 40 day fast, not just from food but it can be from other things that distract you from prayer. Such as television, computer, video games, junk food, movies, spending to much social time with people. From what I hear from other people and I plan to follow suit, unplugging your tv, or even to put it in the garage or someplace you won't use it. If you have to use the computer, only go to the sites you need to use and set yourself a time limit or only use it once a week. Take out all the food you won't be needing, meat, butter, milk ect. Increase your prayer rule and only read Orthodox books. If you will be working during lent, don't talk as much with people, try to stop all ideal talking. This fasting period is a lot different from normal fasting, try not to break your fast even if people offer you food. Normally you would accept the food out of love, not tell the person you are fasting and fast harder the next day, but with lent, politely let them know you can't accept the food because of Lent and say you are sorry but it's an important time for you. Figure out something you really enjoy and don't do it for Lent, such as eating that comfort food, smoking, drinking, sleeping in on the weekends, find yours and stop doing it. This is a time for great struggle and spiritual growth, let your family know you might be a hermit/shut in for 40 days so they don't worry about you and never stop praying, you'll do great. It'll get extremely hard, but the reward will be big.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:07:55 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

This user is no longer active.
raffisx

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Church

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »

Peacekeeper , the link did not work . can anyone also provide material or what I should be reading through lent on a daily basis ? Do I just open the bible and read any verse ?

Regards
RAFFI.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »

The meditations provided here could be helpful. I know they are, to me!

http://www.dynamispublications.org/

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 06:21:05 PM »

In the name of our lord Jesus Christ .

Good evening fellow brethren .

I haven't posted to many times on this forum . but I would like you to please assist me to prepare for my first ever lent .
Following the Armenian church traditions I had two options . daily fast or fast on Wednesday and Fridays .

I have chosen to carry out the daily fast for the 7 weeks . I'm sure it has been asked many times , if you could firstly pray for me and guide me through this spiritual time , and if you may also show me the correct way to fast , what I may or may not eat and do .

I have read some church materials but would also like your guidance .

Blessings to you and your families

Humbly greatful
Raffi.

What has your priest recommended you do? If you haven't asked him, then do so ASAP, and follow what he tells you.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:15:20 PM »

Oops sorry about that, try just going to the normal website, and at the top right corner there is a search box. Search for Lent

http://ancientfaith.com

This user is no longer active.
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »

LBK is correct.  You need to ask your priest what you should do for Lent.  He is the one to set your fasting rule for you.
Tags: Lent  Armenian  EO 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: