OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 05:38:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Variations on the Jesus Prayer and using the prayer rope  (Read 3243 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »

anyone know why we say "me" instead of "us" during the prayer?

I would think because the Jesus Prayer is based on the Prayer of the Publican, but also because it's a private, personal prayer.  While it's certainly laudable to pray for "us," one must also not to forget to pray for "me."

Yes agreed.  Also I think it adds the importance of recognizing your own sins before God, and not dissolving into the group of sinners.  "It's my sins before you", rather than "I'm just one of the gang". (LOL) so to speak.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »

While on the subject I'm curious -

What is the significance of the prayer rope?
Why is the Jesus prayer (I've always heard it "Oh Lord Jesus Christ, the son of God, have mercy upon me a sinner") affiliated with the prayer rope?
Are other prayers appropriate to say on the prayer rope?  (Such as first knot "our father", Second knot a psalm, third knot a hymn sung silently, etc.)
What purpose does a prayer rope serve for either the person using it, or significance to God?

I used one when I was a child, but I never understood it.

TMI to write, try a google search.
But basically it was started so that the monks (obedience given to them) can keep good count of the number of prayers they had to say. they wernt educated back then and some them did not even know how to count. try saying 100x the Jesus prayer and not be worried if you did it 100x. very difficult to do. so they used various methods a bag of stones, making knots on a rope,  notches on a stick...none were as convenient as the prayer rope, for portability and accuracy. and the story goes the devil would come and un-knot the prayer knot rope as the monk was doing his prayers to confuse him. note I'm referring to a piece of rope you would make knots in as u said a prayer. and that's why the prayer rope was made with the special knots that contain crosses in it so the demons cant touch it and mess with the monk.
do a search there is more to the history.

Thanks for the info.  Will do some googling too.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: