OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:21:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why  (Read 11508 times) Average Rating: 0
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #585 on: May 08, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »

I'm going to need this.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #586 on: May 08, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »

You may be right. I can only go by what is said.

If that is ALL that you do you might get more response from some of us.  But you have a nasty habit of "reading in to" a comment and then phrasing your questions to suit your own interpretations, thereby making them unanswerable with respect to the original comment and its author.

I'm no hero. I just try to do what I can.

That made me smile...Can't argue with the 'umble of 'eart!!

You are really are full of yourself, aren't you?

I was being genuine and genuinely conciliatory.  I thought your remarks were humble.

But that is the LAST time I make that mistake. 

Back to my comments on the fact that there's really no point in talking to you because you add value to things that are not there...just like al Misry does.
like you say, value is not there....

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #587 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:52 PM »

I have remarked before that I think the Catholic Answers Forum is so open and public that it's hard to hold a meaningful conversation -- kind of a free-for-all, you might say.

It's nice that OCnet isn't that way, it's more focused and scholarly. Yet at the same time, the elitism here can be bit much. I sometimes feel like anything I say here is tainted, before it has even been read, just because it comes from a non-elite. I'm not saying that makes it worse than CAF, but perhaps it means that it's no better than CAF, just different.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #588 on: May 08, 2012, 09:16:53 PM »

I know I certainly feel more elite than I was before I started posting here. After all, you can't spell monocle without OC.

COINCIDENCE?! I THINK NOT, GOOD SIR.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:17:18 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #589 on: May 08, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »

Indeed, sir.

I'm going to need this.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #590 on: May 08, 2012, 09:27:19 PM »

I know I certainly feel more elite than I was before I started posting here. After all, you can't spell monocle without OC.

Oh dear!

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #591 on: May 08, 2012, 09:59:59 PM »

Oh dear!

Dzheremi, what have you done? He knows too much! police

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #592 on: May 08, 2012, 10:13:34 PM »

I'm taking initiative!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:15:47 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #593 on: May 09, 2012, 08:20:08 AM »

On a side note, I've noticed that you're on CAF as well. If you're curious about my future over there, send me a PM over here (I can't do PMs over there) and I'll respond. (Ditto for anyone else who's curious.)

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #594 on: May 10, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »

Back to my comments on the fact that there's really no point in talking to you because you add value to things that are not there...just like al Misry does.

I briefly considered starting an opinion poll regarding who, between the two of us, is more similar to ialmisry. I decided not to; but just to give my own opinion, I don't think it's me.

Then again, who knows ... maybe the fact that I'm convinced that I'm not like him is really a sign that I am just like him.  Cheesy  Kind of a catch-22. 

No offense, ialmisry.  angel

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #595 on: May 18, 2012, 08:15:14 AM »

The thing is, I don't see anything in Rdunbar's post to suggest that he had already ceased to be Catholic.

elijahmaria has already explained that she believes that "there's really no point in talking to" me, but with regard to the rest of the posters on this thread I can't tell whether you agree with what I said, or whether you disagree but haven't gotten around to arguing against it ...

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #596 on: May 18, 2012, 09:51:57 AM »

The thing is, I don't see anything in Rdunbar's post to suggest that he had already ceased to be Catholic.

elijahmaria has already explained that she believes that "there's really no point in talking to" me, but with regard to the rest of the posters on this thread I can't tell whether you agree with what I said, or whether you disagree but haven't gotten around to arguing against it ...

Maybe he hasn't "officially" ceased being Catholic, in the sense of not yet having converted/translated to Orthodoxy, but if he or anyone else, as Papist wrote, can no longer profess the (non-Orthodox) Catholic faith as defined by the Catholic Church then whether or not they have "officially" converted, he/they are no longer really and fully Catholic.  And given that Rdunbar *apparently* can no longer profess the Catholic faith, perhaps he would be better off in Orthodoxy.  I, for one, would not begrudge him that at all.  It saddens me some, but he must do what he must do.

I'm not sure if the above constitutes agreement or disagreement with you, but perhaps it isn't a black and white as that. 

That sort of raises the question of those Catholics who no longer practice their faith or any other.  You know, the so-called "lapsed" Catholics.  Are they still "Catholic" or not?  Same question can, of course, be asked of "lapsed" Orthodox.  I reckon that by virtue of their baptism, and unless they had somehow actively renounced the faith, "officially" they would be, but in their hearts and to be counted as "true believers" in the best possible sense of the term, probably not.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #597 on: May 19, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »

Quote from: Rdunbar123
This is the heart of the problem and the reason I am inquiring into Orthodoxy. Indeed, who can tell the Pope he is heretic if he does something like declaring open communion with Lutherns(not a slam, just picked at random). Surely there is a mechanism? Maybe a better informed RC could chime in. Please don't tell me there have been no crazy popes,there have been Neo-pagan popes.

Maybe he hasn't "officially" ceased being Catholic, in the sense of not yet having converted/translated to Orthodoxy, but if he or anyone else, as Papist wrote, can no longer profess the (non-Orthodox) Catholic faith as defined by the Catholic Church then whether or not they have "officially" converted, he/they are no longer really and fully Catholic.  And given that Rdunbar *apparently* can no longer profess the Catholic faith, perhaps he would be better off in Orthodoxy.

Even after 5 years, this forum still surprises me. At the risk of being the class dunce, I don't get this ^^ at all.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #598 on: May 19, 2012, 11:56:53 AM »

Quote from: Rdunbar123
This is the heart of the problem and the reason I am inquiring into Orthodoxy. Indeed, who can tell the Pope he is heretic if he does something like declaring open communion with Lutherns(not a slam, just picked at random). Surely there is a mechanism? Maybe a better informed RC could chime in. Please don't tell me there have been no crazy popes,there have been Neo-pagan popes.

Maybe he hasn't "officially" ceased being Catholic, in the sense of not yet having converted/translated to Orthodoxy, but if he or anyone else, as Papist wrote, can no longer profess the (non-Orthodox) Catholic faith as defined by the Catholic Church then whether or not they have "officially" converted, he/they are no longer really and fully Catholic.  And given that Rdunbar *apparently* can no longer profess the Catholic faith, perhaps he would be better off in Orthodoxy.

Even after 5 years, this forum still surprises me. At the risk of being the class dunce, I don't get this ^^ at all.

No, you're no dunce.  And in the light of what Rdunbar posted, which apparently I missed somehow (apologies all around!), I seem to have misspoken, at least where he is concerned.  So, I get that you wouldn't get what I wrote because in it's proper context it was un-getable.  Sorry 'bout that.

That doesn't change the general idea that if someone, Rdunbar excluded at least for now, isn't able to profess the Catholic faith any longer, they may not actually be Catholic and should look for a new spiritual home.  Is that the case, or am I, yet again, talking out of my posterior inferior orifice?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #599 on: May 19, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »

No, you're no dunce.  And in the light of what Rdunbar posted, which apparently I missed somehow (apologies all around!), I seem to have misspoken, at least where he is concerned.  So, I get that you wouldn't get what I wrote because in it's proper context it was un-getable.  Sorry 'bout that.

OIC. I guess we weren't thinking of the same person -- which is understandable b/c when I posted yesterday, I neglected to quote Rdunbar's post.

Drinks are on me!

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #600 on: May 28, 2012, 10:57:41 AM »

As I have explained before - Joe Monahan was a pseudonym used in my former role as a mod at CAF in the days when the EC forum there meant Eastern Christianity.

BTW, it may just be that I'm not as smart as the average CAF participant, but until last year I never even picked up on the fact that mod names over there aren't real names. Therese Martin, Catherine Grant, Jo Benedict, Angela Tate, Jill Foster, etc etc. Those just sounded like regular names to me until someone told me otherwise.

Am I the only one who was so slow on the uptake?  Huh
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:58:13 AM by Peter J » Logged

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #601 on: May 28, 2012, 11:43:06 PM »

As I have explained before - Joe Monahan was a pseudonym used in my former role as a mod at CAF in the days when the EC forum there meant Eastern Christianity.

BTW, it may just be that I'm not as smart as the average CAF participant, but until last year I never even picked up on the fact that mod names over there aren't real names. Therese Martin, Catherine Grant, Jo Benedict, Angela Tate, Jill Foster, etc etc. Those just sounded like regular names to me until someone told me otherwise.

Am I the only one who was so slow on the uptake?  Huh

Peter,

Until I accepted a mod position there, I don't think that I had ever considered the possibility that the mod names were pseudonyms. AFAIK, full-time CAF staffers do use their real names, although a very few additionally have a pseudonym that they utilize.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: