Author Topic: Copyrights, Morality, & Christianity  (Read 7316 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Re: Copyrights, Morality, & Christianity
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2012, 03:55:34 PM »
We often end up becoming slaves to what we own. It's not like it brings us the liberty we imagine.

Did you ever read that Ray Bradbury story where the house is so filled with appliances, they take over and everything goes all haywire? It reminds me of that.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, ÔÇťAssuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline FountainPen

• Is not wasting any more of her ink
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2012, 07:36:24 PM »
We often end up becoming slaves to what we own. It's not like it brings us the liberty we imagine.

Did you ever read that Ray Bradbury story where the house is so filled with appliances, they take over and everything goes all haywire? It reminds me of that.

No, but if the appliances could give me a massage, make my bed, clean up and walk the ferret then i'd be happy.
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 10:55:04 PM »

Or it could be a free speech problem...I am currently prohibited from going outside, perhaps to a park, and saying:

"I wanna be a billionaire so freaking bad
Buy all of the things I never had.....

Prohibited by whom and with what law?  (and if this is by someone other than yourself, who please?  I don't know this piece)

People quote things all the time. Musical groups play songs and sing/perform in private or otherwise.  Have you ever been part of a choral or instrumental group or a band or anything like that?

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline ironchapman

• A bull of truth in a china shop of falsehoods.
  • High Elder
  • I see you.
  • Faith: Serious inquirer.
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »
So, what about the people who post a song they like on Youtube, in some cases backing a slideshow or something like that? What about the people who post a funny clip from a TV show?

Of course, being a fan of anime, I know there's a lot of people who love to watch stuff here in the US and elsewhere in the world that's basically been pirated out of Japan. In some cases, the shows in question are legally licensed in their countries (especially the US), in some cases, not. It's the concept of fansubs, basically. I personally stick to what is licensed myself, but there was a time when I didn't.

How do these things fit in morally speaking?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 01:38:06 AM »
I don't know about ethics, but in terms of aesthetics, those consuming anime are without any sense.

The grotesque love affair with things Japanese is a shame for this nation.

Offline ironchapman

• High Elder
  • I see you.
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2012, 02:44:23 AM »
I don't know about ethics, but in terms of aesthetics, those consuming anime are without any sense.

And why is that? Since I'm actually watching an anime right now, I'll keep it laconic: Anime, as with any medium (or genre if you wish to call it that) has its crappy products, but there are many good shows with great stories and messages as well. And if you don't like Japanese stuff, don't use products from Sony, Nintendo, Toyota, Honda, Hitachi, Sharp, Casio, Olympus, Panasonic, Toshiba, Nikon, or any other of so many other Japanese companies.

But anyways, this is all probably a side point to this thread, and I have anime to finish watching. I'll take my leave. :)
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2012, 02:49:11 AM »

And why is that? Since I'm actually watching an anime right now, I'll keep it laconic: Anime, as with any medium (or genre if you wish to call it that) has its crappy products, but there are many good shows with great stories and messages as well. And if you don't like Japanese stuff, don't use products from Sony, Nintendo, Toyota, Honda, Hitachi, Sharp, Casio, Olympus, Panasonic, Toshiba, Nikon, or any other of so many other Japanese companies.

But anyways, this is all probably a side point to this thread, and I have anime to finish watching. I'll take my leave. :)

For me to express myself fully on this matter, it will have to go private.

Offline ironchapman

• High Elder
  • I see you.
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2012, 02:55:35 AM »

For me to express myself fully on this matter, it will have to go private.

Goodness! I'm sort of intrigued.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »

Or it could be a free speech problem...I am currently prohibited from going outside, perhaps to a park, and saying:

Prohibited by whom and with what law?  (and if this is by someone other than yourself, who please?  I don't know this piece)

People quote things all the time. Musical groups play songs and sing/perform in private or otherwise.  Have you ever been part of a choral or instrumental group or a band or anything like that?

Ebor

American copyright law prohibits me unless I pay money. 
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »

Ebor

American copyright law prohibits me unless I pay money. 

Can you quote or cite some part of copyright law that says this, please?  I have never come across anything this stringent

And have you any experience in someone telling you this while you were performing/singing/reciting? 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.