OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:27:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad Religion book  (Read 638 times) Average Rating: 0
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: April 19, 2012, 08:13:25 AM »

A new book has been published called Bad Religion : How We Became A Nation of Heretics by Ross Douthat. 

A quote from the following article:
"The heretics I write about aren't detached completely from Christianity. Some of them identify as Christians and like the idea of identifying with Jesus. But they aren't interested in sustaining any historic Christian tradition or church apart from their own ministry.

Instead of trying to reform and strengthen institutional Christianity, they're picking through the Christian past, looking for things they like and can use, and discarding the rest"

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/may/ross-douthat-bad-religion.html

Bill Bennett has a free audio download of his interview with the author:

http://media.townhall.com/townhall/bennett/RossDouthat4.17.12.mp3

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »

Thank you so much for alerting us to this article. I think this is part of a tide of convergence between Evangelicals on one side and the catholic and Orthodox Churches on the other. Did you know, for example, that two graduates of Southeastern Baptist Seminary are being encouraged to attend St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary for second master's degrees?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »

I was kind of hoping it was going to be about the band...   Wink
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:47:24 AM »

Thank you so much for alerting us to this article. I think this is part of a tide of convergence between Evangelicals on one side and the catholic and Orthodox Churches on the other. Did you know, for example, that two graduates of Southeastern Baptist Seminary are being encouraged to attend St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary for second master's degrees?

No I didn't know that.....  Very interesting.   What do you consider the driving force in this?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:30:37 PM »

Interesting interview with Mr. Douthat at Huffington Post yesterday on this book:

Q: How do you define heresy?

A: Looking at Catholics, Protestants and Eastern Orthodox Christians, there is an intellectual core in the Christian faith. Sometimes that core gets blurry in various places, but you have the Nicene Creed, the belief that the Bible is the inspired word of God, that the four Gospels are the best sources of information about Jesus of Nazareth. There are a lot of religious movements and ideas that diverge from that core enough to be heretical but not to be a different religion entirely.

All of this is totally debatable, and people can look at the same landscape and disagree about who a heretic is. But the term is still quite useful in describing the reality of a country that is neither traditionally Christian nor post-Christian in any meaningful way. We are in a zone between those two things.[/b] http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/18/ross-douthat-bad-religion_n_1433108.html
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »

The manifest destiny seems mildly strong in this one.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:49:13 PM »

I read this in NPR's report on the book:

"whatever happens to the institutional churches, individual Christians can try to essentially be better Christians, and honor the complications and paradoxes and tensions of this ancient faith a little better, and not just go as quickly to the easy answer"

He raises a lot of good points, but this quote is a heresy unto itself. There is no Christian apart from the Church. This individualist heresy is what gives rise to all the others. So, while his critiques may turn back the clock to a more confessional type of Protestantism (which is better than nothing, I suppose), it does not fix the problem.

"We are saved together; we are damned alone." But it will be nigh impossible for people give up their radical individualism in their religious beliefs.
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:57:59 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN6kCgMUjFw

There ya go.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »

I read this in NPR's report on the book:

"whatever happens to the institutional churches, individual Christians can try to essentially be better Christians, and honor the complications and paradoxes and tensions of this ancient faith a little better, and not just go as quickly to the easy answer"

He raises a lot of good points, but this quote is a heresy unto itself. There is no Christian apart from the Church. This individualist heresy is what gives rise to all the others. So, while his critiques may turn back the clock to a more confessional type of Protestantism (which is better than nothing, I suppose), it does not fix the problem.

"We are saved together; we are damned alone." But it will be nigh impossible for people give up their radical individualism in their religious beliefs.

Yes, I totally agree, it is best not to water down your faith.  I think, though, he is a writer for the New York Times and maybe won't risk his job by being so blunt.  Also, the audience of this book is primarily non-Orthodox.  Perhaps other non-Orthodox need to hear what he is saying, such as the message: to pass on your faith you need strong institutions and must not rely on a superstar pastor building a "parachurch".    Also, to just pick and choose from Christianity to build a psuedo-Christian religion maybe isn't such a good idea.    He certainly has a lot to ponder, such as to not tie in religion so much with a political outcome, or to a national identity.
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »

to pass on your faith you need strong institutions and must not rely on a superstar pastor building a "parachurch".    Also, to just pick and choose from Christianity to build a psuedo-Christian religion maybe isn't such a good idea.

THIS....to the max.

- GTA

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: