OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:43:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical changes during the Paschal season - esp Slavic tradition  (Read 1082 times) Average Rating: 0
David Leon

« on: April 18, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »

What, if any, changes are made in the services at your church during Paschaltide?  I am not referring to the various parts of the liturgy that are replaced with "Christ is Risen," but wonder if in anyone's parish there are other changes.   A couple of examples are the singing of Vouchsafe at Vespers and perhaps continuing to use the Paschal antiphons until Ascension.  Any parishes do this sort of thing? 
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:49:13 PM »

Just off the top of my head, I believe "the angel cried" replaces "it is meet" after the "especially for our Most Holy, &c." in the Greek custom. I think "bless the Lord in the churches" is sung at the small entrance.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:49:08 AM »

Off the top of my head in our tradition (ACROD):

The Liturgy begins with the singing of Christ is Risen three times following the initial 'Blessed is the Kingdom...'

The Paschal antiphons are continued with the exception of the feast of St. George which will fall always on the OC during Paschaltide.

The Third Antiphon of Pascha - "Bless the Lord in the Churches through the Glory with the repetition of Christ is Risen after each verse is continued. The Beatitudes are NOT sung until the post Pentecost cycle begins.

The Angel Cried and Shine, Shine New Jerusalem replaces the It is truly meet.

The Communion hymn - 'Receive the Body of Christ' replaces the usual 'Praise the Lord'

Christ is Risen is the refrain to the priest's intonations following the priest's communion through the end of the Amvon prayer. (Excepting of course the 'Again and again...' where Lord, have mercy obviously is retained.

In place of both the Many Years/Mnohaja Lit/Polychronos AND the Eternal Memory the troparion of Pascha - Christ is Risen is proclaimed.

I think that is it and I think the Ukrainian tradition is the same? Not sure about the Russians.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:49:26 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »

Yup.  It's the same.

...plus, there's Easter Lilies all over the place!  Smiley

...and no kneeling.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »

Yup.  It's the same.

...plus, there's Easter Lilies all over the place!  Smiley

...and no kneeling.

Yup, I forgot about no kneeling and about the flowers.
We keep the empty tomb in the nave, to the far right of the iconostasis for the 40 days as well before they put it away for year.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:44:07 PM »

All as mentioned before plus on the Golgotha some kind of white material (as in roman-catholic churches also in paschal time red epitrachelion on the cross) plus priests wear not purple, but red kamilavkas. And above the iconostasis we have illuminated letters "X B" - Христос воскресе.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »

All as mentioned before plus on the Golgotha some kind of white material (as in roman-catholic churches also in paschal time red epitrachelion on the cross) plus priests wear not purple, but red kamilavkas. And above the iconostasis we have illuminated letters "X B" - Христос воскресе.

When I was a child there were neon lights about the Royal Doors - one said Christos Razdajetsja and the other Christos Voskrese.

At the appointed time in the service, one of the old curators would make a production out of pulling the cord for the light. When they finally wore out - the lights, not the curators, we took them down and repainted.
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »

I've heard of people reading the Paschal Matins instead of the regular pre-communion prayers. But that's more of a private thing.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »

I would add, in the BCC and ACROD, the priest gives all blessings during the Liturgy with the hand cross rather than just his hand.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »

When I was a child there were neon lights about the Royal Doors - one said Christos Razdajetsja and the other Christos Voskrese.

At the appointed time in the service, one of the old curators would make a production out of pulling the cord for the light. When they finally wore out - the lights, not the curators, we took them down and repainted.

This is, by far, the tackiest thing I've ever heard in an Orthodox church.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 04:46:44 AM »

It can get worse, Schultz: A Greek church in the city where I live had, for decades, a neon sign over the Royal Doors which spelled out STOMEN KALOS (Let us stand well), which was turned on at the requisite time during the Divine Liturgy.  Tongue

Thank goodness it, and the eye in the triangle between the two words, were removed about 20 years ago, and replaced with a proper icon of the Mystical Supper.  laugh
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »

Its funny, i thought it was unique to my church pre-renovation times, but the internet exposed me to the harsh reality that across eastern Europe there were apparently fans of Nikolai Tesla who spread these hideous lights up and down the spine of the Carpathians! I guess he got to Greece also!  Wink
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:24:39 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »

The priest/bishop carried the 3-Bar Paschal candle with him for censing, blessing, etc. during the liturgy.

Any of the odes or cannons from the paschal matins are allowed to be sung during recessionals. Many churches I've been to have sung Christ is Risen while the faithful are going up for communion, but I don't necessarily agree to its appropriateness.

Also, ACROD remains the only jurisdiction that does not do a midnight liturgy immediately following matins.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »

The priest/bishop carried the 3-Bar Paschal candle with him for censing, blessing, etc. during the liturgy.

Any of the odes or cannons from the paschal matins are allowed to be sung during recessionals. Many churches I've been to have sung Christ is Risen while the faithful are going up for communion, but I don't necessarily agree to its appropriateness.

Also, ACROD remains the only jurisdiction that does not do a midnight liturgy immediately following matins.

-Nick

There are parishes in UOC-USA that do not do the liturgy at midnight. I believe that St. John's ROCOR Cathedral in Mayfield, PA has a morning liturgy and midnight matins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtBhEoJpD4  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjcVFab18fo The Orthodox churches of the Czech and Slovak lands do not, at least in the Slovak areas, have liturgy at midnight.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:26:15 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 07:23:41 PM »

The Romanians  (from Transylvania and Banat) don't have a midnight liturgy either. And those parishes in  the USA whose founders are from there do the same. Many Serbs do the same. It's obviously a custom shared by those once under the Habsburgs.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 09:51:22 PM »

During the 40 days, none of the Divine Services conclude with "Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers..."

Instead, the celebrant proclaims "Christ Is Risen (3 times); Response: "Truly He is Risen"
Celebrant: "Glory to the 3rd Day Resurrection!"  Response: "We worship His 3rd Day Resurrection"

Celebrant, (intoned): "Christ is risen from the dead, by death trampling down death, and to those in the tombs He has granted life."

Response:  "Truly the Lord is risen."

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »

During the 40 days, none of the Divine Services conclude with "Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers..."

Instead, the celebrant proclaims "Christ Is Risen (3 times); Response: "Truly He is Risen"
Celebrant: "Glory to the 3rd Day Resurrection!"  Response: "We worship His 3rd Day Resurrection"

Celebrant, (intoned): "Christ is risen from the dead, by death trampling down death, and to those in the tombs He has granted life."

Response:  "Truly the Lord is risen."

We do the same.... after the three proclamations of Christ is Risen! the priest entones: 'I nam darova Zhivot vichyj' and the response is 'Poklonjajemsja jeho tridneven Voskresenije!' or ' He gave life to those in the Tombs' with the response of 'We bow down to your Resurrection on the Third Day" followed by another round of the troparion or variation in tone of "Christ is Risen!"
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »

-Nick

Neither the Serbian nor the Antiochian parish in Omaha do a Midnight Liturgy.  The Serbian serves the Paschal Matins at Midnight, and then has the Liturgy at the normal time of 10:00 am in the morning.  The Antiochian starts the Matins at 5:30 am (or as close as Arab time will allow  Smiley) and then goes immediately into the Liturgy.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »

-Nick

Neither the Serbian nor the Antiochian parish in Omaha do a Midnight Liturgy.  The Serbian serves the Paschal Matins at Midnight, and then has the Liturgy at the normal time of 10:00 am in the morning.  The Antiochian starts the Matins at 5:30 am (or as close as Arab time will allow  Smiley) and then goes immediately into the Liturgy.

I had this explained to me by our prior Bishop that in Europe and the Mideast the midnight matins and Liturgy were of course the norm in monasteries. In the larger cities where Bishops and Archimandrites presided at Cathedrals, the Bishop, being nominally a monk, would continue this practice. As time went on, like with many of our Orthodox 't' traditions, this one caught on and spread. (I believe that it was common practice in the Greek tradition long before it spread here in the states among the non-Greeks.)

I think the Midnight liturgy is fine for those who have this tradition, but for those of us who do not, we just ask for a little understanding and respect.

As with many things our Baba's and Yia-yia's taught us about our Faith (and thanks be to God for them!) not everything that is accepted, normal 'practice' to one group or one parish is really part of  'religion'.

I remember when we started supplementing pussy willow branches (the first bloom in the northern Slavic regions) with Palms about thirty years ago. The cry of 'you're changing our religion' was heard that Palm Sunday. If another priest comes around in a few years and decides it is 'truer' for our tradition to only bless willow branches - well, the same cry of 'you're changing our religion' will echo out. Go figure...

Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »

-Nick

I had this explained to me by our prior Bishop that in Europe and the Mideast the midnight matins and Liturgy were of course the norm in monasteries. In the larger cities where Bishops and Archimandrites presided at Cathedrals, the Bishop, being nominally a monk, would continue this practice. As time went on, like with many of our Orthodox 't' traditions, this one caught on and spread. (I believe that it was common practice in the Greek tradition long before it spread here in the states among the non-Greeks.)

I think the Midnight liturgy is fine for those who have this tradition, but for those of us who do not, we just ask for a little understanding and respect.

As with many things our Baba's and Yia-yia's taught us about our Faith (and thanks be to God for them!) not everything that is accepted, normal 'practice' to one group or one parish is really part of  'religion'.

I remember when we started supplementing pussy willow branches (the first bloom in the northern Slavic regions) with Palms about thirty years ago. The cry of 'you're changing our religion' was heard that Palm Sunday. If another priest comes around in a few years and decides it is 'truer' for our tradition to only bless willow branches - well, the same cry of 'you're changing our religion' will echo out. Go figure...

Yeh, we do the willows here.  The Priest says "they don't have palms in Serbia".  Well, unless my geography is way off, Omaha is not Serbia, and we do have palms in the United States.  This religion is starting to tire me.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »

-Nick

Yeh, we do the willows here.  The Priest says "they don't have palms in Serbia".  Well, unless my geography is way off, Omaha is not Serbia, and we do have palms in the United States.  This religion is starting to tire me.

This kind of stuff is the 'small stuff' and my dad always cautioned us not to sweat the small stuff. Hang in there, you have a good inner sense!
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »

I am aware of one parish in Germany which does not have a midnight liturgy, it is the one of the Moscow Patriarchate in Bonn (former capital of West Germany).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: