OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:29:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tunisian church vandalized  (Read 298 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »

An Orthodox Church and school in Tunis, Tunisia were defaced by unknown attackers. The school, a fresco and a cemetery on the property were the scenes of destruction.

From the article:
After the attacks perpetrated against the Orthodox church on Avenue Mohamed V, the Russian school located behind the church as well as the Christian cemetery of Montplasir in Tunis have been vandalized.

The walls of the school were smeared with fecal matter, as also a fresco of Saint Siberian [sic] located in the back courtyard of the Orthodox church, while the cemetery's crosses were destroyed.

(Original French version of news article here)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:11:43 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:41:25 PM »

Lord have mercy! I've recently met a nice Tunisian man in one of my university courses, and he tells me that Tunisians are very pragmatic about their Islam and not given to extremism. The proliferation and success (which is admired by all Tunisians, as far as I can tell) of Tunisia's Jewish community, such as classical Arabic singers of Jewish origin like Cheikh El 'Afrit and Raoul Journo, seems to bear this out, at least in the cultural arena. The comments I read on the French article also show that this kind of thing is foreign to Tunisian mentality. Again, Lord have mercy, and save them from the extremism that is affecting their area of the world, and protect and strengthen your Christian believers in that part of the world.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »

http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2012/04/president-of-tunisia-visits-orthodox.html
On Saturday, the interim president of the Republic, Moncef Marzouki, visited the Russian Orthodox Church on Avenue Mohamad V in the capital. "Tunisia denounces the recent attacks against the church," the president declared to the faithful who were  present at the place of worship to celebrate the feast of Easter

That's nice the president visited the church, but I don't believe that the changes in Tunisia are for better, as in all Arab countries...
As dzheremi mentioned, Tunisian are (or: were?) very pragmatic. I'm lucky I've visited the country before the revolution, for me it was completly laic. I've heard only 2 times nazam (calling to prayer). They had even free Saturdays and Sundays, not Fridays like in countries with muslim majority. During my trip I've seen the church, so for me it's really sad it was vandalized.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Tags: Tunisia  crime 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: