OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 11:55:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which OC in western N.C.  (Read 358 times) Average Rating: 0
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« on: April 18, 2012, 10:27:06 AM »

Hello everybody, looking for a little advice/recommendation's

Please allow me to preface a couple of things as it may or may not be beneficial to offering advice. My daughter had a realization last night that I see as nothing short of God’s Grace. My heart goes out to her for the struggle, yet, Glory to God!

She has just turned 20yrs having recently moved to Western N.C. for collage. A detour has been taken as she was blessed with a new born son just a month ago. She is not married, will be raising this child as a single mom, and we are all mature enough to figure out how that happened. She has been welcome with open arms into a local Church in the neighborhood where she now lives. These folks have been awesome; showering her with love, warmth, and neighborly support and compassion. However, and this is not the realization I mentioned, it appears she is being led to find another Church. She is drawn to seeking God with a focus on God’s Love and Joy, yet, does not want a watered down theology. Her Christian background (preference thus far) is primarily a conservative Wesleyan theology. She misses our home Church which is a humble little place where Scripture is preached in a matter of fact – Truth is Truth, with no apologies for doing so, yet without judgment or guilt either. She is also very inclined to Orthodoxy for the little she has been exposed to thus far. Considering the ‘spiritual’ person she is, her attraction to the mystical aspect of life, Eastern philosophy, her desire for the whole Truth, and the person I know her to be, and what I am learning of Orthodoxy, I honestly have a suspicion she might actually be Orthodox but just doesn't know it yet. Heck, she's even a vegan thus already has a head start on Great Lent!  Grin  j/k

There are three Orthodox Churches in the Ashville N.C. area; Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, St Joseph & Andrew Eastern Orthodox, and St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church. Now, we have little to no idea what exactly the differences might be other than the obvious ethnic backgrounds. No idea which would be the better option for her first visit to an OC if there is a 'better' option. Any insight, advice, and/or recommendations would be so much appreciated.

In Christ,

Scott
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:48:06 AM by alanscott » Logged

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »

One thing to consider is that Holy Trinity's priest has just had a serious illness, so would not be available as a spiritual father/guide.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »

Christ is risen!
Any reason why she can't go to each one alternate Sundays and go from there?

Just outside Ashville, closer than St. Nicholas, is Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos Monastery, Orthodox Church in America
http://www.orthodoxmonastery.com/Church.htm

About an hour away by car (if she drives) is Holy Resurrection Orthodox Christian Mission, Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of N. America, just across the border in TN.
http://holyresjc.com/

There are a couple more just over a hour drive away.
http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/lr_v10/locator.php

Btw, if she is going to college, she should see if there is an Orthodox Christian Fellowship on Campus.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:22:34 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:40:44 PM »

One thing to consider is that Holy Trinity's priest has just had a serious illness, so would not be available as a spiritual father/guide.

Thanks Katherine. That is important for her to know.

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »

Christ is risen!
Any reason why she can't go to each one alternate Sundays and go from there?

Just outside Ashville, closer than St. Nicholas, is Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos Monastery, Orthodox Church in America
http://www.orthodoxmonastery.com/Church.htm

About an hour away by car (if she drives) is Holy Resurrection Orthodox Christian Mission, Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of N. America, just across the border in TN.
http://holyresjc.com/

There are a couple more just over a hour drive away.
http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/lr_v10/locator.php

Btw, if she is going to college, she should see if there is an Orthodox Christian Fellowship on Campus.

Oh no, she could definitely visit each one.

Thanks for the links to others! She is actually in Fairview just south of Ashville, but yes, she drives and all should be close enough I would think.

Actually she is taking a semester (or two) off to begin her new role as mom. However, the collage she was at is a small very liberal liberal arts collage that only has one Church on campus. Get this; it is a Presbyterian Church that literally has a Buddhist meditation room inside complete with the statue of Buddha and all! Safe to say no Orthodox or 'old school' Protestant Church on this campus! 

alanscott
Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:54:39 AM »

Katherine; I feel an apology is in order. In my haste of thanking you for info, and selfish consideration of how it may benefit my daughter, I neglected to offer sympathies for the Priest of Holy Trinity. Please forgive my lack of manners. May Peace and Mercy surround him, family, friends and Church.

God Bless!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: