OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 01:03:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Documentary: The Virgin, the Copts and Me  (Read 380 times) Average Rating: 0
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« on: April 17, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »

The Virgin, the Copts and Me (La Vierge, les Coptes et Moi)

Despite having gone through various incarnations, or perhaps because of it, "The Virgin, the Copts and Me" is a disarmingly honest, thoroughly winning personal portrait of family and heritage, grounded in religion but not dependent on belief. Tyro helmer Namir Abdel Messeh struggled long and hard to get this personal project made after being dumped by his French producers for not adhering to their vision; the last laugh's on them, since the docu bagged $100,000 at Doha Tribeca and should easily find auds at fests and in Gallic theaters, as well as on TV.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117946541/

The movie will be screened at this year's Tribeca Film Festival
http://www.tribecafilm.com/filmguide/archive/virgin__the_copts_and_me-film41673.html

The Virgin, the Copts and Me
La Vierge, les Coptes et Moi
DIR Namir Abdel Messeeh
North American Premiere
Documentary | Arabic, French 85 min

FRI 4/20 5:30 PM SVA-2
SUN 4/22 10:00 PM CCC-5
TUE 4/24 11:30 AM AV7-3
WED 4/25 10:00 PM CCC-5

http://media.tribecafilm.com/documents/2012+TFF+Official+Guide+EARLY.pdf

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »

I just saw that Balthasar also posted about this film.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,43070.0.html

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »

I'm going to be in NYC this coming weekend.  Thank you for the reminder that the festival is happening.  I'm going to try to convince the wife to go see this documentary (at least) while we're up there!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »

Great, I'll be expecting a 1000 word review of it on your return  Wink

Enjoy the city!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: