OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 10:43:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little bragging, I suppose....  (Read 1313 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: April 17, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »

Third generation American born vocation from our family chants the Paschal epistle this year! Thought I would share with you, especially for new parents who tend to despair of the future or fear raising kids today. Just hang in there and good things can happen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L951QIOhxuM&list=UUxUNL7NYaIegagxPUfY0Y2A&index=3&feature=plcp
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »

Excellent!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Every once in a while I see things like this, that restore my faith in our youth!!!

In the next video there's a bells ringing.  Is that common?  I've only seen that once at a Serbian church.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:01:08 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:58:52 PM »

Nice.

I understood nothing because of the echo Wink.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 04:52:55 PM »

Excellent!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Every once in a while I see things like this, that restore my faith in our youth!!!

In the next video there's a bells ringing.  Is that common?  I've only seen that once at a Serbian church.

It is customary on Pascha to ring bells, inside and outside of the Church upon the singing of Christos Voskres.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »

Nice!

We don't have bells.  Sad  We have bell towers, but, no bells.

City ordinance.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:13:19 AM »

Nice!

City ordinance.
Interesting, we have bells but no bell tower. ... And, they were ringing at times both inside and out.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 08:22:03 AM »

Nice!

City ordinance.

If it is a religious obligation for you to ring bells on pascha, is the city allowed, according to US law, to ban you from doing so?

Actually, in Ukraine, they have a little bell ringing before the liturgy, but the big bell ringing is AFTER the liturgy. I am not sure why exactly, does anyone have an explanation for that?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 09:21:01 AM »

Nice!

City ordinance.

We have a dispensation, of sorts, to ring the bells during Pascha (right after we enter church after the procession and during the Creed).  Last year was the very first time in the church's 76 year history that someone in the neighborhood complained and called the cops: a new neighbor, to be sure. 

No complaints this year (that I know of), although a cop did stop while he was driving by during the procession during Matins, confused as to what why 100+ people were wandering around a church holding candles in a rain drizzle at midnight.  He stuck around for a bit until we re-entered the church with the cry of "CHRIST IS RISEN!"

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »

I don't know the nuances.  I suppose it might be worth looking into.

The laws might actually have changed since the church was built.

I would LOVE to have the bells ringing!

The first time I heard church bells was on my visit to Ukraine....and I just stopped and listened for a loooooooong time!   Grin

—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:23:08 AM »

Nice!

City ordinance.

We have a dispensation, of sorts, to ring the bells during Pascha (right after we enter church after the procession and during the Creed).  Last year was the very first time in the church's 76 year history that someone in the neighborhood complained and called the cops: a new neighbor, to be sure. 

No complaints this year (that I know of), although a cop did stop while he was driving by during the procession during Matins, confused as to what why 100+ people were wandering around a church holding candles in a rain drizzle at midnight.  He stuck around for a bit until we re-entered the church with the cry of "CHRIST IS RISEN!"

How much you want to bet he did some research when he got back to the station?

—St. Isaac of Syria
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:41:40 AM »

Nice!

City ordinance.

Oh, I'm sure he did.  The funny thing about it is that at the GOA church about two miles away, the police actually block the street off at both ends so the parishoners don't have to dodge traffic. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »

Nice!

City ordinance.

Oh, I'm sure he did.  The funny thing about it is that at the GOA church about two miles away, the police actually block the street off at both ends so the parishoners don't have to dodge traffic. 

Easy answer: free meals for cops at the Greek Festival!  Wink Wink Wink
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 10:15:15 AM »

Ha!!!!  That's a good one!

Schultz, next time your church holds a festival of some sort be sure to invite the local law enforcement!

—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »

Ha!!!!  That's a good one!

Schultz, next time your church holds a festival of some sort be sure to invite the local law enforcement!

Pay it forward can work. We have a retired Sargent from our local PD who was treated well by our parish over the years when he managed the Traffic Division and now he is a regular volunteer at our lenten Pirohi project, working two days a week for six or seven hours running dough and helping clean up. Hard jobs too..
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »

Nice!

City ordinance.

I can't believe what I'm reading.  Huh

Does this apply to all Christian denominations? What about minarets?

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »

Nice!

We don't have bells.  Sad  We have bell towers, but, no bells.

City ordinance.

I can't believe what I'm reading.  Huh

Does this apply to all Christian denominations? What about minarets?

Sadly this is true in some 'enlightened' communities in the USA. Fortunately not so much in the older areas or even in the North East, but...

It is ironic that many of the same voices who so decried Soviet Russia for oppressing the Faith and melting down bells and today decry 'big government' have no problem whatsoever in passing so-called  "property protective" local laws and ordinances under the disguise of 'noise abatement' to silence church bells and yes - minarets in what is supposed to be a free country.

Of course they will tell you the law is supposed to cover loud music, bars etc... but the reality is that any noise bothers most folks. Believe me, I worked in local government for years and 'good Christian folks' were always calling the police about such 'nuisances' as church bells, processions and funerals.

The real ideology of America is NIMBY - not in my back yard - as our real god here is selfish individualism above all else as a culture.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:11:26 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »

Well, it's not exactly a NIMBY mentality. 

At the time we had to concede to the ordinance in order to build the church.

The founders of the church weren't "schooled" in American rights, etc....and just wanted to build a church so they could come together and pray.

However, I think I will bring this up at the next meeting.  Perhaps the laws have changed and we could have bells....the issue would then be "who" is going to ring them.  Smiley

—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »

The founders of the church weren't "schooled" in American rights, etc....and just wanted to build a church so they could come together and pray.

However, I think I will bring this up at the next meeting.  Perhaps the laws have changed and we could have bells....the issue would then be "who" is going to ring them.  Smiley

Liza, I wasn't blaming you or your parish - your neighbors are at fault as are many of us in this great country!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »

Congratulations on the future Priest Father Matthew Dutko. Here is to hoping that he has or will find a nice Matushka.

BTW, in how many languages did you end up proclaiming the Gospel? (A little bragging on my part here; we did it in 15 languages)

ADDED: Podkarpatska--Why weren't the parishioners not prostrating at the His tomb? Just curious.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:57:55 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 04:33:36 PM »

Whether it is legal or not all depends on how much you have to spend on a lawyer or how much the ALCU likes you.  (You are innocent until proven broke!)   Wink

All joking aside, we have been ringing the bells on Pascha at midnight as long as I can remember.  We've never had a problem with neighbors or the police, and Omaha does have a noise ordinance, so it must be allowed for Churches to ring bells here.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: