OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:33:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Catholic priest converts to Orthodoxy  (Read 3573 times) Average Rating: 0
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: April 17, 2012, 07:06:19 AM »

I just came across the below video from an Old Catholic priest concerning his conversion to Orhodoxy, but it looks to be a few years old. Has this already been posted and discussed? Does anyone have any updates on this priest and his parish, and their reception by the Antiochian Archdiocese?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgbNDpJzx_g&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:44 AM »

Here is his parish. It doesn't specify any schedule for services or whether they are wholly received into the Church or not though.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:09:04 AM by Alpo » Logged

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »

Here is his parish. It doesn't specify any schedule for services or whether they are wholly received into the Church or not though.

Sunday Divine Liturgy 10:30am

and

The Mission Church of Saint Benedict is formally a traditional Old Catholic congregation known as Saint Faustina Catholic Church, the people and clergy began application to be received into the Orthodox Church in the Summer of 2009.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:03:39 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »

LOL. How did I miss that one.

The Mission Church of Saint Benedict is formally a traditional Old Catholic congregation known as Saint Faustina Catholic Church, the people and clergy began application to be received into the Orthodox Church in the Summer of 2009.

It doesn't specify any date for mass Chrismations or some such. Since I don't have any experience with converting whole parishes I had no idea how long it takes. But anyway, good thing if they are already received into the Church. There's never enough WR parishes and it's nice to see that WRO is not strictly an ex-Episcopal phenomenon.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:22:37 AM by Alpo » Logged

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:26:08 AM »

LOL. How did I miss that one.

It doesn't specify any date for mass Chrismations or some such. Since I don't have any experience with converting whole parishes I had no idea how long it takes. But anyway, good thing if they are already received into the Church. There's never enough WR parishes and it's nice to see that WRO is not strictly an ex-Episcopal phenomenon.

Ah, yes, yes, you are correct.  It doesn't say they're under the omophorion of an Orthodox bishop

Looking at their facebook page, I note they're on the Gregorian Calendar completely, celebrating Easter on April 8 this year.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »

Fwiw I also came up empty as far as verification of being received and by whom... couldn't find anything more with google, the ROCOR site, or the Antiochian site (though the Antiochians have a different parish in Pensacola)

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »

I've been there.

They're Orthodox. +ANTOUN is commemorated in the liturgy.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:51:07 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 10:07:31 AM »

I've been there.

I wonder, then, why the parish is not listed on the Antiochian website, and why the parish website does not indicate their jurisdictional affiliation or bishop, nor provide a link to the archdiocese website. 

An article from May of last year (2011) states:
St. Benedict Mission has become a provisional mission of the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese.
“They are not yet accepted,” said Bishop Antoun Khouri, who is in charge of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian church in the Southeast. “They are in the process, but how long will it take? Who knows?”
Monk told the IN that he and the mission have completed all the necessary paperwork and are awaiting the final decision.

http://inweekly.net/wordpress/?p=5045

From the fact that they are not listed as a parish on the Antiochian website, and the fact that the parish website does not mention their affiliation, I assume that they are still in limbo after 3 yrs and commemorate Bp. Antoun only as a “provisional mission”.  In other words, unless someone knows for sure otherwise, Fr. Nathan is not yet a priest of the Orthodox Church, has not yet been properly received into the Church, and has not yet been given the blessing and authority to offer and administer the sacraments of the Orthodox Church.

If this is the case, it is surprising for the Antiochian Archdiocese to take 3 years for such a case.  In the video that I initially linked, Fr. Nathan stated that the parish expected to be received within a year. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:08:58 AM by jah777 » Logged
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »

I've been there.

I wonder, then, why the parish is not listed on the Antiochian website, and why the parish website does not indicate their jurisdictional affiliation or bishop, nor provide a link to the archdiocese website. 

An article from May of last year (2011) states:
St. Benedict Mission has become a provisional mission of the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese.
“They are not yet accepted,” said Bishop Antoun Khouri, who is in charge of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian church in the Southeast. “They are in the process, but how long will it take? Who knows?”
Monk told the IN that he and the mission have completed all the necessary paperwork and are awaiting the final decision.

From the fact that they are not listed as a parish on the Antiochian website, and the fact that the parish website does not mention their affiliation, I assume that they are still in limbo after 3 yrs and commemorate Bp. Antoun only as a “provisional mission”.  In other words, unless someone knows for sure otherwise, Fr. Nathan is not yet a priest of the Orthodox Church, has not yet been properly received into the Church, and has not yet been given the blessing and authority to offer and administer the sacraments of the Orthodox Church.

If this is the case, it is surprising for the Antiochian Archdiocese to take 3 years for such a case.  In the video that I initially linked, Fr. Nathan stated that the parish expected to be received within a year. 

Well, I'm not expert. I just attended once, and I didn't ask him a bunch of canonical questions.

If you're interested, it would probably be best to ask Fr. Nathan yourself. Here's the church phone number: (850)454-9910

Here's his facebook page (found via google): http://www.facebook.com/fathernathan/info#!/fathernathan

I suspect he will answer freely whatever you ask. He seemed like a pretty friendly guy.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 11:35:38 AM »

Unless the board has released a style manual instructing the capitalization of adjectives, why was this posted in the Orthodox-Catholic discussion?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »

Unless the board has released a style manual instructing the capitalization of adjectives, why was this posted in the Orthodox-Catholic discussion?
Probably because he used to be Old Catholic and now is Eastern Orthodox.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »

I recall an Old Catholic priest who was converting to Orthodoxy. Don't know if this is the same one.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »

Unless the board has released a style manual instructing the capitalization of adjectives

He's not an old Catholic priest.

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »

Unless the board has released a style manual instructing the capitalization of adjectives

Maybe it depends on what is an “Old Catholic priest”. 
One article states:
[Fr. Nathan] Monk was ordained in Nashville, Tenn. on Oct. 14, 2006 by Archbishop Wayne Booshada as a priest of the Old Catholic Church.
“The Old Catholic Church was originally a part of the Roman Catholic Church,” Archbishop Booshada told the IN in a telephone interview. “They were out of Utrecht, the Archdiocese of Utrecht in Holland. When the Vatican I Council was held, it officially affirmed that the Pope, the Bishop of Rome, had universal authority over the church and spoke infallibly on matters of faith and morals. The Archdiocese of Utrecht did not agree because they did not see that in the ancient church fathers and teachings.”
According to Booshada, the Archdiocese of Utrecht withdrew from the Roman Catholic Church but remained intact with their historic apostolic succession. He said that Roman Catholic communion recognizes all of their ordinations and sacraments as valid. That’s in many of the Roman Catholic documents.
“There are many branches of Catholic Christianity, and that’s one that withdrew from the Roman Communion but remained connected to the historic succession, sacraments and so forth,” said Booshada.

When you search for Archbishop Wayne Boosahda (not Booshada as the article states), it appears that he played a major role in establishing the “Communion of Evangelical Episcopal Churches” (CEEC) where he (and his wife) are still affiliated.  On Abp Boosahda, see:

http://www.theceec.org/CEEChistory.html

http://bishopwayneboosahda.wordpress.com/about/

This is the “Old Catholic Church” that Abp Boosahda’s succession, and Fr. Nathan’s ordination ultimately, are from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Catholic_Church
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 03:02:22 PM »

Maybe it depends on what is an “Old Catholic priest”. 
One article states:
[Fr. Nathan] Monk was ordained in Nashville, Tenn. on Oct. 14, 2006 by Archbishop Wayne Booshada as a priest of the Old Catholic Church.
“The Old Catholic Church was originally a part of the Roman Catholic Church,” Archbishop Booshada told the IN in a telephone interview. “They were out of Utrecht, the Archdiocese of Utrecht in Holland. When the Vatican I Council was held, it officially affirmed that the Pope, the Bishop of Rome, had universal authority over the church and spoke infallibly on matters of faith and morals. The Archdiocese of Utrecht did not agree because they did not see that in the ancient church fathers and teachings.”
According to Booshada, the Archdiocese of Utrecht withdrew from the Roman Catholic Church but remained intact with their historic apostolic succession. He said that Roman Catholic communion recognizes all of their ordinations and sacraments as valid. That’s in many of the Roman Catholic documents.
“There are many branches of Catholic Christianity, and that’s one that withdrew from the Roman Communion but remained connected to the historic succession, sacraments and so forth,” said Booshada.

When you search for Archbishop Wayne Boosahda (not Booshada as the article states), it appears that he played a major role in establishing the “Communion of Evangelical Episcopal Churches” (CEEC) where he (and his wife) are still affiliated.  On Abp Boosahda, see:

http://www.theceec.org/CEEChistory.html

http://bishopwayneboosahda.wordpress.com/about/

This is the “Old Catholic Church” that Abp Boosahda’s succession, and Fr. Nathan’s ordination ultimately, are from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Catholic_Church

I guess you read my quip to quickly ...

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »

This actually came up in a discussion yesterday. I didn't bring it up, but since this was discussed here recently I listened.

Apparently St. Benedict's is in some kind canonical limbo where — according to the clergyman I was speaking with — Fr. Nathan apparently believes he has been received without that necessarily being the case.

Uriel

Faith: Christian of Baptist / House Church background
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »

Hope nobody's bothered by my reviving an old thread for my first post.  I stumbled on this thread via google while researching Orthodoxy.  It would appear that Fr. Monk has been ordained by the ROCOR: http://www.saintbenedictmission.com/staff.html
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 05:37:40 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Why would that intigue a Baptist?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »

Fr. Monk has been ordained by the ROCOR: http://www.saintbenedictmission.com/staff.html

And apparently is also married. LOL.

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 05:45:46 PM »

Hope nobody's bothered by my reviving an old thread for my first post.  I stumbled on this thread via google while researching Orthodoxy.  It would appear that Fr. Monk has been ordained by the ROCOR: http://www.saintbenedictmission.com/staff.html

Thank you for the update!
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »

Good for him.

I liked Fr. Nathan when I met him.

Uriel

Faith: Christian of Baptist / House Church background
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Why would that intigue a Baptist?

Long story going back a few years.  I don't really consider myself a Baptist, just happened to go up in a Baptist Church as a child.  Moved on to 'non-denominational' church, that subsequently became an Anglican-Baptist ecumenical partnership.  The approach there is generally low-church Evangelical-Charismatic (for want of a better description).

Anyway - basically decided that to trust in the authority of scripture, I needed to trust the historic Church.  Then later realised that Scripture pointed back to God-given tradition (if I looked into the meaning of the Greek rather than just relying on the translations I was used to).  Currently reading up on Apostolic Fathers, history of Ecumenical Councils and finding out what I can about Churches that claim apostolic succession.  Have also visited Orthodox Divine Liturgy.

Not so long ago was becoming very much convinced of Orthodox claims to be the true Church (I'd read books by Kallistos Ware, Peter Gilquist and Michael Harper) but was bothered by claims of Assyrian Church of the East and Oriental Orthodox (less so the Great Schism with Rome).  Currently trying to work through early church writings and Ecumenical Councils to see what I can make of them. 

The Assyrian Church of the East came as something of a surprise they basically seem to recognise apostolic succession in many of the Churches that claim it, including Anglicans / Lutherans and from my (limited) reading I don't think they are actually Nestorian in belief.  So anyway - gone from near certainy to general confusion again...

So anyway, I'm asking, I'm seeking and I hope to find and be obedient to Christ in wherever he's leading me.

And Alpo - regarding Fr Nathan Being Married - I think he was anyway.  I don't think the Old Catholics practice compulsory priestly celibacy any more.
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »

I can confirm that Fr. Nathan was ordained in our Russian Church Abroad. He will serve in the Western Rite. We welcome Fr. Nathan and his congregation with open arms and open hearts in the love of Christ. Many Years!

There is a picture of Fr. Nathan on the Occidentalis page, or site, for Western Rite Orthodoxy:

http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Western.html

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »

Fr. Monk has been ordained by the ROCOR: http://www.saintbenedictmission.com/staff.html

And apparently is also married. LOL.
Good on both scores.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 04:19:27 AM »

I'm bringing this thread back to updatefolks here. Please pray for the recently ordained Fr. Monk and the Monk family, as well as the parish of St. Benedict's. He and I spoke today and asked me to please speak to as many people as I can. The parish recently (6 mo. ago?) acquired a new, permanent location with living space for the Monk family. As of the day Father Nathan was ordained, the largest contributing family to the parish decided to leave (for a number of undisclosed reasons). This places the parish in immediate risk for not being able to pay their lease.

For anyone in Pensacola, the parish could really use some friends. Certain people have ostracized the Monk family and the parish in general since the recent changes.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:28:01 AM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »

When you log on to the parish's website, this is the whole of the homepage:

Goodbye Pensacola!
After eight years of serving the poor of Pensacola, Father Nathan Monk and his family are taking an assignment in Columbia, SC. and will serve God's people there.

Your continued support is always greatly appreciated!  To make a donation to help the Monk family make their way to Columba please click here!

Does the mission in Pensacola still exist after Fr. Nathan's leaving?

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 10:06:52 PM »

Christ is risen!

I was told that the mission in Pensacola had dwindled to five people, and I don't think it will continue to exist after Fr. Nathan's departure. I did ask...
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »

Christ is risen!

I was told that the mission in Pensacola had dwindled to five people, and I don't think it will continue to exist after Fr. Nathan's departure. I did ask...

I just re-watched the video (now 3.5 years old). I noticed he spoke of agreement between the (then-OC) parish and the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese. In view of later developments, this makes me wonder: was the parish very much split on that decision? Or were most of them good with it at the time, but then later changed their minds?

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »

I have followed Fr. Nathan's ministry from afar. He seems to be a very good man from my limited contact with him. It is my understanding that the Antiochian diocese he was in kind of jerked his chain around for awhile and then set up another parish in his area, so he ended up going to ROCOR.  It is my understanding that there were a lot of casualties through all the turmoil.  I hope he is valued for his talents where he currently ministers.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 10:00:09 PM »

I have followed Fr. Nathan's ministry from afar. He seems to be a very good man from my limited contact with him. It is my understanding that the Antiochian diocese he was in kind of jerked his chain around for awhile and then set up another parish in his area, so he ended up going to ROCOR. 
I have heard a different version of this this story, but I won't repeat it since I have no firsthand knowledge.

I will say this: +Antoun isn't known for playing around.
I hope he is valued for his talents where he currently ministers.

Same here. Whatever may have been the case with their ecclesiastical transfer, Fr. Nathan was on the right side of many issues that others are silent on and has done some good work through the years.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 06:26:38 AM »

Well that's sad. I had thought that perhaps the change-to-Orthodoxy had simply been too much for people of the parish (which would have been sad too), but now it sounds like there may have been more to it than that.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 08:11:08 AM »

Fr Nathan posted something on facebook awhile back about some of the struggles he faced.  I don't know what the other side of the story is.  As with anything, there is aways more than one perspective to look at.

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »

Ex-Fr. Nathan renounced the Orthodox Church and his own priesthood, to come out in favor of gay marriage.

As it says in the Book of Acts, some went out from among us, because they were never of us.

Lord, have mercy (100x).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:20:40 PM by Fr.Aidan » Logged
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 03:24:15 PM »

Ex-Fr. Nathan renounced the Orthodox Church and his own priesthood, to come out in favor of gay marriage.

As it says in the Book of Acts, some went out from among us, because they were never of us.

Lord, have mercy (100x).
Yes, there was a rather long thread on that.  I continue to read his blog every once in awhile out of curiosity.  I believe he still professes to be Orthodox, just not a priest.  Of course, much of what he says is directly against the teachings of the Church.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »

Lord, have mercy (100x).

Not trying to start an argument, but wondering if you could clarify: when you speak of "[going] out from among us", do you include switching denominations in that category?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 09:20:16 PM »

Lord, have mercy (100x).

Not trying to start an argument, but wondering if you could clarify: when you speak of "[going] out from among us", do you include switching denominations in that category?

There are no denominations from this POV.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: