OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 08:48:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Library buys St. Cuthbert Gospel  (Read 307 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: April 17, 2012, 05:51:01 AM »

The British Library purchased a book known as the St. Cuthbert Gospel for 9 million pounds (about $14.3 million).

From the article:
The Latin manuscript, known as the St Cuthbert Gospel, is the oldest European book to survive fully intact.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

spcasuncoast.org
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »

Wonderful! This will go nicely with the rest of the BL's amazing collection on display. It is not the oldest book in their collection, BTW. That honor goes to the Codex Sinaiticus, the famous 4th-century Greek New Testament!

I've seen the coffin of St. Cuthbert, where this book was buried. It's on display at Durham Cathedral (my favorite in England). Interestingly, also on display there are some early Byzantine textiles---yes, indeed, long-distance trade was INDEED going on during the so-called "Dark" Ages.
Tags: British Library  St. Cuthbert Gospel 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: