OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:54:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Issues  (Read 1588 times) Average Rating: 0
Thatguy

Faith: Trying Orthodoxy

« on: April 16, 2012, 11:33:58 PM »

After a 6+ month and emotional inquiry to Roman Catholicism, I have just reached a point to where I am almost sure that the Pope is not who he says he is. It was Eastern Orthodoxy that brought me into Apostolic Christianity from Protestantism, and now it seems Roman Catholicism is bringing me back to Eastern Orthodoxy.

Here's a few conversion issues that I face the moment I begin to contemplate this
1. Why not join the Oriental Orthodox church or the Assyrian church of the east instead of Eastern Orthodoxy? At first glance, they seem to have the same credentials as you guys.
2. From my understanding, you guys don't have ecumenical councils anymore, why is that?
3. I hear that some Orthodox churches aren't in communion with each other. Like church A might be in communion with church B and C, but church B isn't in communion with church C. Is this true?

Also, I really don't see this as a problem, but I attended my first divine liturgy (Easter service) and it felt more like a liturgical relay race then a service. The readings were SO fast. Is that normal?

Most importantly, please pray for me as I work out my salvation with fear and trembling,
Thanks for your time if you guys make it to this thread Smiley,
Ryan
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:34:31 PM by Thatguy » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:48:01 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Thatguy!

Here are "my" answers to your questions.

1. Eastern Orthodox - because that's what I know and love!  Smiley
2. No Councils?  I hear one is in the making, as we speak (write).  There haven't been any major issues (thankfully), no heresies, etc...that required the calling of such a Council.
3. Well, if they are "not" in communion, there's usually a pretty good reason for it.  It may seem odd from the outside, but, once you take a good look at it, you'll realize there not in communion because of some major stumbling block, they might be a splinter group, etc.  If you give an example, we can tackle it, and let you know the "why" behind it.
4. Fast reading?  Really?  No, that's NOT the norm.  You attended the LONGEST service of the year, and they were probably going "fast" on purpose so folks would not fall asleep.  Normally, it goes at a slower rate.

Once again, welcome to the forum!

You are in our prayers!!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »

1. Why not join the Oriental Orthodox church or the Assyrian church of the east instead of Eastern Orthodoxy? At first glance, they seem to have the same credentials as you guys.
The Assyrian Church of the East has no icons. For me, that is a sign that their Christology indeed is not completely correct. There is one Christ, human and divine, and we depict his person according to its human aspect, representing the one person who is both human and divine.

As for the OOs, having lived in Egypt for a few months recently, I know the Copts and I think they are Orthodox, too. For myself, the EO Church is my home, but go and see which parish near your home (EO and OO parishes) you feel most comfortable in.

2. From my understanding, you guys don't have ecumenical councils anymore, why is that?
An Ecumenical council has the job of defining doctrine against heresy. Whereas there are some issues in Church politics, the EO church has quite a clear doctrine, and there is no heresy within the Church causing docrtinal confusion at the moment.

3. I hear that some Orthodox churches aren't in communion with each other. Like church A might be in communion with church B and C, but church B isn't in communion with church C. Is this true?
All EO usually are in communion with each other.

Also, I really don't see this as a problem, but I attended my first divine liturgy (Easter service) and it felt more like a liturgical relay race then a service. The readings were SO fast. Is that normal?
Depends on the traditions of each parish. But I am not used to such a thing.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:04:13 AM »

After a 6+ month and emotional inquiry to Roman Catholicism, I have just reached a point to where I am almost sure that the Pope is not who he says he is. It was Eastern Orthodoxy that brought me into Apostolic Christianity from Protestantism, and now it seems Roman Catholicism is bringing me back to Eastern Orthodoxy.

Here's a few conversion issues that I face the moment I begin to contemplate this

Assyrian Church of the East is rather simple--go look at the Council of Ephesus. If you agree that Christ is God and man, One Person, then the ACoE was wrong to go into schism following it. If you disagree, then the ACoE is the Church for you.

Oriental Orthodox is far more complicated--and any responses are going to be limited by the fact that forum rules forbid polemical posts between EOs and OOs (which I would take any post telling you why should become EO rather than OO or vice versa to be) on the public forums. All I can suggest is that if there are both EO and OO churches in your area, go to both and ask you question of the priests there. If there is only one in your area, go to that one during your inquiry and follow-up on the relationship between the two later. If you have the bad luck to be somewhere where there are neither--well, you've got some time. Concentrate on the vast majority of things EO and OO agree on, do some reading on the Council of Chalcedon and after you've got some larger context join the private forums here to get a better understanding of how EO and OO view that council, the subsequent history, and the present.

Haven't needed one. No dispute about doctrine/heresy has reached such a level that it's needed a council of the whole Church to address it.

Well, the EO and OO are not in communion. There are also some traditionalist groups (similar to the SSPX, etc) who have broken communion and left the rest of the Church. But in general, no that's not true. All the Orthodox autocephalous churches are in full communion with all the other autocephalous churches.

Largely depends on the reader (and possibly any instruction he's gotten from the priest). In my own experience, no--but I've been Orthodox for a long time now and am used to the sound of chanting so that might be a difference in perception.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »

No need to go over 1,2 and 3 which witega covered rather well-

As regards fast chanting/reading- my first Pascha was at a Greek parish where they did everything in Greek and repeated it in English. Those guys went at a machine gun pace- since then, no other parishes I have attended have had a problem with that- save the one I currently attend where, despite my best efforts to slow down, I apparently read too fast for others to read along in the service books (though those who have told me this also say that my diction is clear enough that reading along isn't necessary- I don't know if this is true or they are just trying to be nice).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:56:11 AM »

The ACoE is Nestorian. They reject Orthodox Christology by dividing our Lord into two "persons". This one is pretty cut and dry. As for the OO, it comes down to Christology, as well, though the situation surrounding the 4th EC is much hairier than that surrounding the 3rd (which dealt with the Nestorians). I'm of the opinion that the OO hold fast to the Cyrillian christological formula and are therefore Orthodox. While we are not in communion with them at this point and are resolving 1,500 years worth of schism, I believe that both the EO and the OO profess the Faith. While my home is the Byzantine church, I would not begrudge you to go OO.

"Ecumenical Councils" belong to the age of the Ecumene, the Empire, which hasn't been around for some time. However, we still hold councils. Ever heard of St. Gregory Palamas? The definitions of the Palamite councils are universal in Orthodoxy, just as important as Ecumenical Councils, but aren't numbered among the seven.

No. this does not happen in the EO. Occasionally certain local churches will not concelebrate together, which is a sign of tension between them, however it is not a declaration of heresy nor schism, and they both consider the other Orthodox in their Faith and both remain in communion with all the other churches. There are schismatic groups (The Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Kyivan Patriarchate, the Macedonian Orthodox Church, Russian Old Believers, Greek Old Calendarists, etc.) but they remain unrecognized and are not in communion with any canonical Orthodox Church.

Do you mean the readings of the Epistle and Gospel, or the hymns? the Paschal hymns tend to be sung high, loud and fast. We're HAPPY! the Paschal Vigil is NOT an ordinary service, and really a terrible first experience in my opinion because you don't have any liturgical context for the celebration.

Most importantly, please pray for me as I work out my salvation with fear and trembling,
Ryan

May the Lord bless and guide your paths!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:56:58 AM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »

As a former Protestant who was Chrismated on Sunday, I say welcome! you're making a good choice Smiley Allow me to give my opinions:

1. Why not join the Oriental Orthodox church or the Assyrian church of the east instead of Eastern Orthodoxy? At first glance, they seem to have the same credentials as you guys
There are differences. Many, myself included believe the Eastern Orthodox need and should reunite with our oriental brothers. I'll not go into details about the Assyrian Church, but look up "Nestorianism" Smiley

The acceptance of the Church makes a council Ecumenical. However there is a council being planned (I believe in 2013).

I know for me, Im Western Rite, and if I go to the Greek Church I can get communed, no problem. Or if I wanted to take a small drive to D.C. I could commune at the OCA Cathedral. The only glaring example I can think of in your example are the Old Calendarists.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »

Thatguy, welcome to the forum.

I thought I understood that there were some Orthodox Churches that most of us would not consider splinter groups the OCA for example there were recognized but not universally, albeit when I heard this I got the impression it was more administrative than anything else, IE. that had not been recognized yet. but perhaps my info. is old have these things been resolved? Or did I misunderstand altogether? Either way, I'm guessing that what I think I heard may be the same thing Thatguy heard.

PP,
I too have at least heard rumors of an upcoming counsel. Where did you get 2013? BTW congrats on your Chrismation, Many Years.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »

I thought I understood that there were some Orthodox Churches that most of us would not consider splinter groups the OCA for example there were recognized but not universally, albeit when I heard this I got the impression it was more administrative than anything else, IE. that had not been recognized yet. but perhaps my info. is old have these things been resolved?
Not resolved, like the EP does not recognize the OCA but says they're Orthodox, and can commune.

I too have at least heard rumors of an upcoming counsel. Where did you get 2013?
http://orthodoxbeacon.com/local/pan-orthodox-council-likely-in-2012-or-2013-orthodox-unification-top-topic/
Vienna Greek-Orthodox Archbishop Michael Staikos, the Church’s Exarch for Central Europe, will visit Moscow on Pentecost, 24 May, it was announced Thursday. He will accompany Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomaios I
and there is also some things spoken about it on AFR, but I dont remember where.

BTW congrats on your Chrismation, Many Years
Thanks buddy, I apprecaite it!

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »

This one was largely resolved when the ROCOR reunited with the Moscow Patriarchate.  Prior to that ROCOR was in "direct" communion with the Serbs and Jerusalem (IIRC), but not with the other canonical Orthodox churches.  With the reapproachment of ROCOR and the MP, this situation largely disappeared. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »

I'm not sure why EOs give so much more theological latitude to the OOs than to the ACOE. While they may be a bit further away from us, they're not really Nestorian/Mopsuestian heretics either. One has to appreciate the context of the controversy and the nuances through the ages. We have more in common with the ACOE, I'd wager, than with other Christian bodies. As for icons, the Assyrian churches in Central Asia and China apparently do have them. Further west in the Middle East, they were discarded due to Mohammedan pressure, or so I heard.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »

I'm not sure why EOs give so much more theological latitude to the OOs than to the ACOE. While they may be a bit further away from us, they're not really Nestorian/Mopsuestian heretics either. One has to appreciate the context of the controversy and the nuances through the ages. We have more in common with the ACOE, I'd wager, than with other Christian bodies. As for icons, the Assyrian churches in Central Asia and China apparently do have them. Further west in the Middle East, they were discarded due to Mohammedan pressure, or so I heard.

While Patriarch Dinkha has repudiated certain teachings of Nestorius, he is still considered a saint by the ACoE, and they reject the Cyrillian Christological language. Until they anathematize Nestorius and accept St. Cyril...they are heretics.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 06:07:38 PM »

While Patriarch Dinkha has repudiated certain teachings of Nestorius, he is still considered a saint by the ACoE, and they reject the Cyrillian Christological language. Until they anathematize Nestorius and accept St. Cyril...they are heretics.

Would you call the Orientals heretics until such time as they accept the Council of Chalcedon?

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »

I agree with you.  In order to exonerate OO and still hold the Assyirians as some form of unadulterated "Nestorian heresy" the same tortuous reasoning is needed as when they think its now ok to have all sorts of kinky sex with one's wife (which I don't care obviously) while holding those unmarried or unable to to the highest canonical standards. Better realize that the Church changes mind too, like everybody else.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 09:58:19 PM »

Would you call the Orientals heretics until such time as they accept the Council of Chalcedon?

I would not call them heretics because they do not teach anything contrary to the Orthodox Faith. While the OO do not accept Chalcedon, they recognize the language used by EOs today as Orthodox and also anathematized Eutyches. Whereas, the ACoE rejects Cyrillian language and venerates Nestorius.

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »

Well done!

No offense to any OOs, but Shanghaiski definitely has a point.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 11:00:44 PM »

Well done!

Agreed.  I think it's partly a result of the peculiarities associated with this forum, e.g. restrictive language regarding OO's and whatever we're supposed to call certain Roman Catholics who used to be Orthodox, and are  formerly/currently referred to elsewhere with a word beginning with the letter U

Had one of the co-founders been ACOE this might have been different.

That said, ACOE is really tiny outside of Michigan and some enclaves throughout the East. This is reflected in some ways by their virtually non-existent presence on the forum.
No offense to any ACOE readers, but they also appear to have gone a bit goofy, with the whole open-communion thing (if that's actually true).  So it's a bit easier to discount their brand of Apostolic Xtianity.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 11:47:20 PM »

Questions like this can potentially take tremendous amounts of time and study to resolve. Even then, you rely on your own efforts and abilities, hoping you do not overlook some details and come to the wrong conclusion. Save yourself a lot a time and worry, and judge a tree by its fruits. At the core of Orthodox (i.e Eastern) tradition is the three-fold salvific process of purification, illumination, and glorification. While this teaching is regrettably neglected by many people (including clergy and hierarchs) in the modern Church, it is the only cure of the soul. Look at the great multitudes of Orthodox faithful (from all across the globe) who participate in noetic and unceasing prayer. Furthermore, the truth of (Eastern) Orthodoxy is attested to by the nearly two thousand years of glorified individuals (i.e. those who have seen the uncreated energies of God). These people (some of which are alive today), who have actually seen God, can tell you with the certainty of the apostles, that it is the only Church founded by God and the only one with the potential to heal the soul.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:01:00 AM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 12:06:07 AM »

As for icons, the Assyrian churches in Central Asia and China apparently do have them. Further west in the Middle East, they were discarded due to Mohammedan pressure, or so I heard.

Yeah, I checked out their website the last time I ran across the no icons thing somewhere, just to see, and while there are a lot of bare walls at least this one http://news.assyrianchurch.org/gallery-2?album=1&gallery=335 church in their gallery of pictures had icons.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 03:13:59 AM »

Clearly Byzantine icons, not some kind of tradition of their own. I would need more information about that specific parish - such as - are you sure it isn't one in communion with Rome? But if the Assyrian Church has started placing Byzantine icons, that means they have taken our criticism seriously and that is a good thing.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 05:34:31 PM »

Questions like this can potentially take tremendous amounts of time and study to resolve. Even then, you rely on your own efforts and abilities, hoping you do not overlook some details and come to the wrong conclusion. Save yourself a lot a time and worry, and judge a tree by its fruits. At the core of Orthodox (i.e Eastern) tradition is the three-fold salvific process of purification, illumination, and glorification. While this teaching is regrettably neglected by many people (including clergy and hierarchs) in the modern Church, it is the only cure of the soul. Look at the great multitudes of Orthodox faithful (from all across the globe) who participate in noetic and unceasing prayer. Furthermore, the truth of (Eastern) Orthodoxy is attested to by the nearly two thousand years of glorified individuals (i.e. those who have seen the uncreated energies of God). These people (some of which are alive today), who have actually seen God, can tell you with the certainty of the apostles, that it is the only Church founded by God and the only one with the potential to heal the soul.

Some of the OOs on this board have posted stories of Coptic ascetics being glorified (I remember one reportedly had to veil his face like Moses). How are we to know which accounts are authentic?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »

I agree with you.  In order to exonerate OO and still hold the Assyirians as some form of unadulterated "Nestorian heresy" the same tortuous reasoning is needed as when they think its now ok to have all sorts of kinky sex with one's wife (which I don't care obviously) while holding those unmarried or unable to to the highest canonical standards. Better realize that the Church changes mind too, like everybody else.

To be pedantic, "kinky sex" between married couples is actually penanced more heavily in the Examologitarion than between non-married entities.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 05:41:26 PM »

I would not call them heretics because they do not teach anything contrary to the Orthodox Faith. While the OO do not accept Chalcedon, they recognize the language used by EOs today as Orthodox and also anathematized Eutyches. Whereas, the ACoE rejects Cyrillian language and venerates Nestorius.

But, yet, we have had less dealings with them in general to know much about them. They may venerate Nestorius, but Nestorius himself appears to have anathematized "Nestorianism" before his death. No one cared about it at the time in Alexandria or Constantinople.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 05:44:35 PM »

Well done!

Agreed.  I think it's partly a result of the peculiarities associated with this forum, e.g. restrictive language regarding OO's and whatever we're supposed to call certain Roman Catholics who used to be Orthodox, and are  formerly/currently referred to elsewhere with a word beginning with the letter U

Had one of the co-founders been ACOE this might have been different.

That said, ACOE is really tiny outside of Michigan and some enclaves throughout the East. This is reflected in some ways by their virtually non-existent presence on the forum.
No offense to any ACOE readers, but they also appear to have gone a bit goofy, with the whole open-communion thing (if that's actually true).  So it's a bit easier to discount their brand of Apostolic Xtianity.

The Assyrians have been rather insular over the centuries and have been made even more so due to schisms brought on by Roman Catholics and Whatever Happened In India (TM). They also have a schism between Old and New Calendars. They've also been killed in large numbers, particularly in the 20th century.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 05:48:37 PM »

Some of the OOs on this board have posted stories of Coptic ascetics being glorified (I remember one reportedly had to veil his face like Moses). How are we to know which accounts are authentic?

By and large, Orthodox do not dogmatize on spiritual phenomena happening amongst the heterodox. It's hard enough to tell from whence comes the spiritual phenomena happening amongst the Orthodox--sometimes even great figures in the Church are deceived, one way or the other. Miracles are not the basis of our faith. They can serve to confirm it, but as Elder Porphyrios, a man who experienced many great miracles said, "The greatest miracle I have seen is that I am the worst sinner in the world, and yet I have Christ for my Savior!"

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »

Surely, unqualifiedly labeling the ACOE as Nestorians is extremely problematic. And it would surely be unfair to judge them without knowing them well. But nonetheless, the reality of the incarnation is something very important for me. God, the second person of the Holy Trinity has assumed our nature. Does the ACOE reflect that in the life of their church? My feeling is that EO and OO do, but even Catholics and Protestants don't really do that.

And why have most former ACOE faithful become Muslim? Political pressure surely played a big role... but even in China, where there was no Muslim rule, ACOE faithful became Muslim. Why is that? (Today's Christianity in China has later origins.)
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »

But, yet, we have had less dealings with them in general to know much about them. They may venerate Nestorius, but Nestorius himself appears to have anathematized "Nestorianism" before his death. No one cared about it at the time in Alexandria or Constantinople.

Only allegedly did Nestorius recant his extreme dyophysitism. There is a lot of uncertainty that surrounds the authorship of the Bazaar. However, I agree that it is worth dialoguing and researching about. I have no problem with the idea of reunion with the ACoE, as long as we can truly come to a unified Orthodox Faith. Once Nestorius is either anathematized or the Bazaar is authenticated, and until the ACoE can accept the definitions of Cyril and Leo as Orthodox (which they currently do not), no union will occur.

Whereas, on the side of the OO, they have formally lifted anathemas and largely accepted the Chalcedonian language as Orthodox, though they prefer Cyril's earlier formula. Granted, there's still a lot to work out with the OO, but we have agreed that we hold the same faith, and in some areas of the world members from those churches may be married in either church, and even intercommune. None of this is true of the ACoE because we have not yet resolved matters of faith. If the ACoE is found to be Orthodox in their faith, I would gladly welcome them.

And, I do love the Chaldean Church, btw, some of the bravest and most wonderful of saints and martyrs come from them (including my own patron).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:59:23 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »

Surely, unqualifiedly labeling the ACOE as Nestorians is extremely problematic. And it would surely be unfair to judge them without knowing them well. But nonetheless, the reality of the incarnation is something very important for me. God, the second person of the Holy Trinity has assumed our nature. Does the ACOE reflect that in the life of their church? My feeling is that EO and OO do, but even Catholics and Protestants don't really do that.

And why have most former ACOE faithful become Muslim? Political pressure surely played a big role... but even in China, where there was no Muslim rule, ACOE faithful became Muslim. Why is that? (Today's Christianity in China has later origins.)

A large group of Assyrians entered into the Russian Orthodox Church in the early 20th century. The senior bishop of ROCOR was Assyrian, until his death.

I'm not sure how Catholics and Protestants (I hate lumping them all together) don't reflect the reality of the incarnation in their respective ecclesial organizations. I know, the quality of Catholics and Protestants has declined in the last 1,000 and 500 years, respectively, but the Orthodox are no great prize either when it comes to living our faith. Perhaps part of the problem is that the Catholic and Protestant faiths are often (seen at least) to be in flux--what do we believe this year, sort of thing, and this doubtless effects faith life.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »

Actually, most of them became Chaldeans or OO.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »

A large group of Assyrians entered into the Russian Orthodox Church in the early 20th century. The senior bishop of ROCOR was Assyrian, until his death.
Where was that?

As for reflecting the reality of the incarnation, it is hard to explain... let's say, we believe Christ raised up our fallen nature. Protestants seem to believe our nature is still fallen, only the punishment is annuled (simul iustus et peccator, as Luther said).
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »

I'm not sure why EOs give so much more theological latitude to the OOs than to the ACOE. While they may be a bit further away from us, they're not really Nestorian/Mopsuestian heretics either.
Take a look at their joint declaration with the Roman Catholics.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »

Where was that?

As for reflecting the reality of the incarnation, it is hard to explain... let's say, we believe Christ raised up our fallen nature. Protestants seem to believe our nature is still fallen, only the punishment is annuled (simul iustus et peccator, as Luther said).

It was near the city of Urmia, IIRC, near the border of the Russian Empire. They sought Russian protection from the bloodthirsty Turks.

I think that statement of Protestants is accurate, in practice. I seem to remember Fr. Andrew Damick giving a podcast on this topic, but can't remember the jist of what he said--something about imputed righteousness?

Modern Protestants, however, are very far removed (mostly for worse) from their Reformation era leaders. At least Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli all agreed that Our Lady Theotokos is Ever-Virgin and called her Blessed.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »

I'm not sure why EOs give so much more theological latitude to the OOs than to the ACOE. While they may be a bit further away from us, they're not really Nestorian/Mopsuestian heretics either.

Link? Quote? Some kind of rabid-OO polemic of "See, I told you, the Leonians and Nestorians are in bed together all along!" (The last one was just a JOKE!)

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 01:45:01 AM »

Link? Quote? Some kind of rabid-OO polemic of "See, I told you, the Leonians and Nestorians are in bed together all along!" (The last one was just a JOKE!)

You don't have to go to a polemic by myself or any other rabid OO for that.  We used to have an EO poster who made that contention:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,23189.msg354227.html#msg354227

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 02:29:18 AM »

"The humanity to which the Blessed Virgin Mary gave birth always was that of the Son of God himself. That is the reason why the Assyrian Church of the East is praying [to] the Virgin Mary as 'the Mother of Christ our God and Saviour." -Joint Declaration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Christological_Declaration_Between_the_Catholic_Church_and_the_Assyrian_Church_of_the_East

"The Orthodox position will declare this: The Blessed Mother did not give birth to His Godhead, which is from eternal; but rather she had given birth to His manhood, at the end of time, still it is right to be called 'the Mother of God,' why? Because He who is born of her is at once God and Man. By way of example: The mother of the President of the United States did not give birth to his presidency, she gave birth to the man; and indeed we call her the mother of the President; and again, the Catholicos Patriarch of the East received his office from The Church, and not from his mother who bore him, and we do call her the mother of the Patriarch." -ACotE Catechism

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 02:35:19 AM »

Ryan

Ryan,

EO Churches tend to be more common and easier to find.  Also, you are more likely to find English liturgies there.  For those reasons, it may be better to just concentrate on the EO Church.

A word of advice:  Stay away from the polemics.  Arguing about the faith can be harmful to your faith.

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2012, 06:23:14 AM »

Glorified, or the subject of supposed miracles? I would be interested in reading about these individuals (though I have a feeling that their experiences will, just like cases of Roman Catholic mysticism, depart significantly from authentic Orthodox theosis).

By and large, Orthodox do not dogmatize on spiritual phenomena happening amongst the heterodox. It's hard enough to tell from whence comes the spiritual phenomena happening amongst the Orthodox--sometimes even great figures in the Church are deceived, one way or the other. Miracles are not the basis of our faith. They can serve to confirm it, but as Elder Porphyrios, a man who experienced many great miracles said, "The greatest miracle I have seen is that I am the worst sinner in the world, and yet I have Christ for my Savior!"
I think the biggest problem lies in discerning miracles from "miracles". Belief because of miracles, however, is not entirely wrong. Even Christ says in the Gospel of John : "But if I do, though you believe not me, believe the works: that you may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him." The fact that people are legitimately cured (that is, they regain the ability to pray noetically) is a worthy miracle that should suffice as a reason for faith. Even more so is the state of glorification, where individuals no longer require physical sustenance and rest, instead being fed off the divine energies and are bestowed with truth beyond human comprehension. I would even go so far as to say that the miraculous experience of theosis is really the only reason to believe at all (as it is the only thing that differentiates Orthodoxy from superstition and religion).

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 09:30:25 AM »

"The humanity to which the Blessed Virgin Mary gave birth always was that of the Son of God himself. That is the reason why the Assyrian Church of the East is praying [to] the Virgin Mary as 'the Mother of Christ our God and Saviour." -Joint Declaration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Christological_Declaration_Between_the_Catholic_Church_and_the_Assyrian_Church_of_the_East

"The Orthodox position will declare this: The Blessed Mother did not give birth to His Godhead, which is from eternal; but rather she had given birth to His manhood, at the end of time, still it is right to be called 'the Mother of God,' why? Because He who is born of her is at once God and Man. By way of example: The mother of the President of the United States did not give birth to his presidency, she gave birth to the man; and indeed we call her the mother of the President; and again, the Catholicos Patriarch of the East received his office from The Church, and not from his mother who bore him, and we do call her the mother of the Patriarch." -ACotE Catechism

"The Word of God, second Person of the Holy Trinity, became incarnate by the power of the Holy Spirit in assuming from the holy Virgin Mary a body animated by a rational soul, with which he was indissolubly united from the moment of his conception. Therefore our Lord Jesus Christ is true God and true man, perfect in his divinity and perfect in his humanity, consubstantial with the Father and consubstantial with us in all things but sin. His divinity and his humanity are united in one person, without confusion or change, without division or separation. In him has been preserved the difference of the natures of divinity and humanity, with all their properties, faculties and operations. But far from constituting "one and another", the divinity and humanity are united in the person of the same and unique Son of God and Lord Jesus Christ, who is the object of a single adoration. Christ therefore is not an "ordinary man" whom God adopted in order to reside in him and inspire him, as in the righteous ones and the prophets. But the same God the Word, begotten of his Father before all worlds without beginning according to his divinity, was born of a mother without a father in the last times according to his humanity." - From the Common Declaration

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2012, 02:53:34 PM »

"The Word of God, second Person of the Holy Trinity, became incarnate by the power of the Holy Spirit in assuming from the holy Virgin Mary a body animated by a rational soul, with which he was indissolubly united from the moment of his conception. Therefore our Lord Jesus Christ is true God and true man, perfect in his divinity and perfect in his humanity, consubstantial with the Father and consubstantial with us in all things but sin. His divinity and his humanity are united in one person, without confusion or change, without division or separation. In him has been preserved the difference of the natures of divinity and humanity, with all their properties, faculties and operations. But far from constituting "one and another", the divinity and humanity are united in the person of the same and unique Son of God and Lord Jesus Christ, who is the object of a single adoration. Christ therefore is not an "ordinary man" whom God adopted in order to reside in him and inspire him, as in the righteous ones and the prophets. But the same God the Word, begotten of his Father before all worlds without beginning according to his divinity, was born of a mother without a father in the last times according to his humanity." - From the Common Declaration

Hmmm. That's a very interesting paragraph, that multiple times uses the phrase "one person." I hadn't previous read the RC/ACoE Declaration because, obviously, it has nothing to do with us...perhaps I should...

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »

Blech. That's horribly ambiguous. Was the Babe in the womb of the Blessed Mother of Christ God fully God and fully man? She did not give birth to a nature, but a Person, the God-man.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2012, 03:32:28 PM »

That's 180 degrees better.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »

#1) You can join the Oriental Orthodox Church if you want; but it seems kind of strange because Oriental Churches are very rare to find and Eastern ones are easier. Most people would agree though that the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox are still followers of the same faith, even if it is not official. So go with whichever one is closest to you. As for the Assyrian Church of the East, I think that they are Nestorians or something; they are considered heretical to both the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox, so I would stay away from them.

#2) We just have not had one very recently, but that does not mean that we cannot have one if we do not want to. It is just that no issue has really come up which is large enough yet where the Church has decided to have one, however, I do think that one is in the process of being had right now.

#3) It is the beauty of having an autocephelous based Church. We can have our disagreements over smaller issues yet still adhere to the same faith. For example, Moscow and the EC have been having a feud for quite a while but they are still followers of the same faith and have their own jurisdictions.  But, there is a difference between having a feud and still following the same faith between having a feud and becoming schismatic. You should not join a shismatic Church.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2012, 03:37:18 PM »

After reading this joint declaration, I can only think of the RC saying, "Oh, you can keep your canon law and bishops, and beliefs, and everything...Just bow your knee to Rome and we'll worry about everything else later....."

PP

Gregory the Great

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »

That's 180 degrees better.
Probably because it's the part the RC's wrote.  Wink

It only denies the most coarse adoptionism, however, and still allows nestorian weaseling.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:44:56 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »

After reading this joint declaration, I can only think of the RC saying, "Oh, you can keep your canon law and bishops, and beliefs, and everything...Just bow your knee to Rome and we'll worry about everything else later....."

PP

That's what happened with some Eastern Catholics...

Yeah, the quotes that Nicholas gave aren't very convincing. However, the paragraph that James gave is interesting, since it seems to repudiate the idea that Christ is two separate persons.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: