OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 02:59:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the "true" origin of easter according to a pagan  (Read 949 times) Average Rating: 0
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« on: April 16, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »

http://youtu.be/bGq3TXG0Ydk

This is just ridiculous... This guy makes up a story and proclaims this is the origin of Easter, Easter Eggs and "Easter bunnies." Its why "Ostaras" favorite offering is easter eggs and all kinds of stuff...

Sadly, some people will believe this is some true ancient tale. This is make it up as you go religion at its finest(worst).
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »

http://youtu.be/bGq3TXG0Ydk

This is just ridiculous... This guy makes up a story and proclaims this is the origin of Easter, Easter Eggs and "Easter bunnies." Its why "Ostaras" favorite offering is easter eggs and all kinds of stuff...

Sadly, some people will believe this is some true ancient tale. This is make it up as you go religion at its finest(worst).

Did Ostera predate the passover - aka - pascha?

That question always messes them up.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 05:25:24 AM »

Why a bunch of Pagans would connect their day in specific relation to the Jewish passover is a question these people often forget to ask themselves.

Thank you.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:11:15 AM »

Why a bunch of Pagans would connect their day in specific relation to the Jewish passover is a question these people often forget to ask themselves.

One of my closest friends pulled out this entire canard a couple weeks and simply would barely acknowledge that all non-Germanic languages refer to the Feast of the Resurrection in some form of "Pascha."  It did not end well and I spent the entirety of the week seething.  We did come to terms later in the week and, honestly, the whole thing was a good lesson for me not to get angry at people for being ignorant.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »

One of my closest friends pulled out this entire canard a couple weeks and simply would barely acknowledge that all non-Germanic languages refer to the Feast of the Resurrection in some form of "Pascha."  It did not end well and I spent the entirety of the week seething.  We did come to terms later in the week and, honestly, the whole thing was a good lesson for me not to get angry at people for being ignorant.

Yeah, there are a lot of people getting this Easter Ostra "rumor" off of many internet sources.  I don't know if its some kind of conspiracy of pagans, atheists, or other Christian fundamentalists... I just know its getting pretty "popular".   I like you had some close to me try to argue their "facts" and it really bent me out of shape for a while.   After extensive research, just a simple "Did it pre-date Pascha aka the passover?" basically stumps the entire argument.   

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:31:44 PM »

Ostaras? What happened to Ishtar?
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 04:29:30 PM »

It's all made up around one sentence from Bede!
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »

This is my favorite one.  If Eostre/Ostaras = Ishtar, it is the only time a Sumerian word made its way to Germanic w/o coming through Latin or Greek.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 04:38:10 PM »

This is my favorite one.  If Eostre/Ostaras = Ishtar, it is the only time a Sumerian word made its way to Germanic w/o coming through Latin or Greek.
Ishtar is Old Babylonian.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:39:23 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »

This is my favorite one.  If Eostre/Ostaras = Ishtar, it is the only time a Sumerian word made its way to Germanic w/o coming through Latin or Greek.
Ishtar is Old Babylonian.  Wink

Ah, so it is! 

Still the same stretch Tongue

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »

I think it is ok to feel sorry for folks who revel in their ignorance.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 05:59:16 PM »

One of my closest friends pulled out this entire canard a couple weeks and simply would barely acknowledge that all non-Germanic languages refer to the Feast of the Resurrection in some form of "Pascha."  

Not trying to be difficult, but this is not quite correct.  As far as I know, in Japanese for instance it is "I-suta"  and according to the link below in Hindi it is "īsṭar". There are a few others.

http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/easter.htm

That aside, the eostre/Easter thing makes for the pinching of the bridge of the nose and the thudding of the forehead on the keyboard.

Ebor
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:01:58 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »

One of my closest friends pulled out this entire canard a couple weeks and simply would barely acknowledge that all non-Germanic languages refer to the Feast of the Resurrection in some form of "Pascha."  

Not trying to be difficult, but this is not quite correct.  As far as I know, in Japanese for instance it is "I-suta"  and according to the link below in Hindi it is "īsṭar". There are a few others.

That aside, the eostre/Easter thing makes for the pinching of the bridge of the nose and the thudding of the forehead on the keyboard.

Ebor

Well, the Japanese one almost certainly is an English introduction (they never accept words without changing them to fit Japanese sound patterns, ex. Christian is Kirishitan). I'm betting the Hindi word is too.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »

There was an EO Christian that made an excellent video on Christmas... It was just a guy talking, but it covers the same exact "junk" rumors that people circulate about the pagan origin.

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »

Think this is crazy though, a lot of neo-pagans worship Taliesen as a "god." Taliesen was a real person, that was a Christian...

This is one of his hymns:

The Eternal Trinity

The eternal Trinity
Made the element,
After the element,
Adam wonderfully.
And after Adam,
Well he made Eva.
The blessed Israel
The mighty Spirit made.
Ardent the suggestion,
Clear the reasoning.
Twelve towns of Israel, rising equally high,
Twelve sons of Israel the generous God made
Twelve sons of Israel were nursed together.
Twelve good, blameless, three mothers nursed them.
One person created them, the Creator made them.
As he will do as he pleases, who is supreme.
Twelve sons of Israel made the Lord.
As he will do as he pleases, who is skilful. [sic]
Twelve sons of Israel bore reward
Of the mission of Jesus.
And one father there was to them
And three mothers to them.
From them came grace
And good offspring.
And Mary, good, created,
And Christ, my strengthener,
Lord of every fair country.
And I will call on and sing to thee every day;
For has been my desire
Friendship with thee.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 08:32:12 PM »

Think this is crazy though, a lot of neo-pagans worship Taliesen as a "god." Taliesen was a real person, that was a Christian...

Not that crazy really...
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »

I think it is ok to feel sorry for folks who revel in their ignorance.

Feeling sorry for them, yes.

Getting angry about it and seething all week (esp. when it's Holy Week!), no.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »

Ebor

Well, the Japanese one almost certainly is an English introduction (they never accept words without changing them to fit Japanese sound patterns, ex. Christian is Kirishitan). I'm betting the Hindi word is too.

Yes, the name of the feast came to these places via English. This wasn't a strange coincidence or anything like that.  My point was that there are non-Germanic languages that do not have the word based on any form of "Pasch.."  I was offering a slight correction to a previous post. One thing to consider is how things get to a different culture and then if they become part of it.

I am familiar with the Japanese way of adapting words from other languages. "Kurisumasu" is Christmas for example and "aisu kuriimu" is ice cream.  The word for bread "pan" is from the Portuguese originally.
But I digress.   Cheesy

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »

Ebor

What Jason.Wike said, and I should have said, "non-Germanic European language".  Interestingly, languages such as Swedish and Norwegian, heavily influenced by Anglo-Saxon/Old German, use a form of Pascha.

I do wonder the etymology of the sub-continental languages phrases for "Happy Easter!"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:53:42 PM by Schultz » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »

What Jason.Wike said, and I should have said, "non-Germanic European language".  Interestingly, languages such as Swedish and Norwegian, heavily influenced by Anglo-Saxon/Old German, use a form of Pascha.

I do wonder the etymology of the sub-continental languages phrases for "Happy Easter!"

One word can make a difference.  Wink 

Languages and how they change/grow can be fascinating, I think.

Ebor

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 09:10:46 PM »

I think most of it is just borrowed from English and used in a secular manner. In Malayalam for the liturgy and canonical hours we usually refer to Pascha as either uyirrpu or kyamtha/kyomtho which both mean resurrection.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:11:31 PM by sheenj » Logged
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 10:45:54 PM »

I've recently learned something like that. Though what can convince a person who doesn't want to know the facts? Nothing I suspect.

Thank you.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »

These are words of wisdom.  It is not good to angry at people for being ignorant.  Hopefully people will take your word for it rather than having to go through the process themselves only to come to the same conclusion, but...you know...we are a proud modern people.  Lord have mercy. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: