OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 11:00:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oriental orthodox are prolific :)  (Read 350 times) Average Rating: 0
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« on: April 16, 2012, 06:01:38 PM »

Another Oriental Orthodox church opened in my town, the second in 3 years. This one is Coptic.

Is there a lot of growth for your church in America?

I'm happy about this, but I also have to wonder if it is isn't because so many Copts have been fleeing Egypt, which is sad.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »

I found this video of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHlCvyZFD48

What is the priest doing with the rose petals?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:47:18 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »

The part of the rose petals is Good Friday.  An icon of Christ is "buried" under rose petals and sweet smelling burial spices.  Therefore, Christ is buried there for three days.  On the eve of Easter, the icon is then "exhumed" to represent the Resurrection, and this icon is then taken into a procession after opening the doors of the altar, representing the opening of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »

The part of the rose petals is Good Friday.  An icon of Christ is "buried" under rose petals and sweet smelling burial spices.  Therefore, Christ is buried there for three days.  On the eve of Easter, the icon is then "exhumed" to represent the Resurrection, and this icon is then taken into a procession after opening the doors of the altar, representing the opening of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Beautiful!

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: