OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:22:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Connection Problems  (Read 427 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: April 16, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »

For the time being I'm using a wireless whatever to connect to the internet. Everything was going fairly well for the past few weeks. Then a day or two ago my connection started dropping a lot. Like every 10 seconds. I can load a page, and then the connection won't work. It still says it's connected, but nothing will load. So I disconnect, wait, connect, wait. Then usually nothing happens. So I disconnect, wait, connect, wait. Then usually nothing happens. Anyway, eventually something does happen and I can load or refresh a page again. For 10 seconds. Then it drops again and I have to repeat the process. It's taken me roughly 20 minutes to make 3 one-line posts today. Everything appears to be fine. Right now it says I'm connected, there seems to be an adequate connection, etc. But I'm sure as soon as I try to post this thread it will take me to a blank page, and I will  no longer be able to post anything until I try to reset it multiple times as outlined above. Any ideas what could cause such an issue out of the blue?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »

For the time being I'm using a wireless whatever to connect to the internet. Everything was going fairly well for the past few weeks. Then a day or two ago my connection started dropping a lot. Like every 10 seconds. I can load a page, and then the connection won't work. It still says it's connected, but nothing will load. So I disconnect, wait, connect, wait. Then usually nothing happens. So I disconnect, wait, connect, wait. Then usually nothing happens. Anyway, eventually something does happen and I can load or refresh a page again. For 10 seconds. Then it drops again and I have to repeat the process. It's taken me roughly 20 minutes to make 3 one-line posts today. Everything appears to be fine. Right now it says I'm connected, there seems to be an adequate connection, etc. But I'm sure as soon as I try to post this thread it will take me to a blank page, and I will  no longer be able to post anything until I try to reset it multiple times as outlined above. Any ideas what could cause such an issue out of the blue?

Given the information provided I have no idea. I assume there is a DSL or Cable Modem in the mix and a wireless router somewhere. I had two instances like this where there were way too many dropped pings. In one case the problem was coax cable splitter at the point where the cable service entered the house. In the other case, the solution was replacing the cable modem. I can also imagine a wireless router going bad. Are the drop outs related to the time of day (ok at 3am but terrible at 8pm)?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »

Huh... I will see about some of these possibilities (e.g. whether the cable is also used for watching TV in addition to the net, which I think it is).  I used to think that it was worse during the day and better overnight (say from 10pm to 8am or something), but I'm not sure anymore.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:26:23 PM »

Does your connection have a login name & password?  Like where you have to manually hit "connect" on a windows button?

If so, you may want to try a router.

A router has a setting called PPPOE which will log you in automatically.  It seems that it is dropping for some strange reason though, and if its not immediately connecting there is a problem.

Do you hear static in your phone line by chance?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: