OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:53:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why..  (Read 1224 times) Average Rating: 0
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« on: April 16, 2012, 03:41:05 PM »

Why are Orthodox Churches so Emo.. Why are they so dark coloured and not coloured in bright luminous colours?

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »

Why should they be?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »

EMO?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »

Why are Orthodox Churches so Emo.. Why are they so dark coloured and not coloured in bright luminous colours?

? Most of the Orthodox Churches I have been in have been quite brightly coloured. The major exceptions have been older churches where layers of candle-smoke and incense have somewhat dulled the original colors--though even then all the gold-leaf and brass tends to keep them more sparkly than most emo-kids would be happy with.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »

I think mine is pretty colorful...

We have to remember, as hard as it is to, than the Church isn't just about the pretty icons, shiny metal objects and smelly incense.  It's about Christ becoming flesh for us.  We actually come in contact with God at the liturgy, which is the only place that this happens.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:05:15 PM »

I'm showing my age now... what's Emo? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:05:34 PM »

um...this doesn't describe my church at at all...  Huh
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 04:07:07 PM »

its a counterculture, kind of like a more innocent version of the "goth kids" you would see in school back in the 90's...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:15:30 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 04:07:38 PM »

I think you have it all wrong.  Orthodox Churches aren't emo.  The only one I've ever known to cut himself in Church is me, and I had an excuse.  That prosphora was so hard I just couldn't take it any more!

(Don't be worried, I just glanced the fingernail, vamrat still has sufficient fingers to type with!)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »

Why? Because God himself is emo. Think about it... always talking about how no one understands him, always trying to be mysterious, always having strange mood swings, willing to cause bodily harm to himself...  if God doesn't have an emo haircut when I get to judgment I'm going to be very let down.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »

EMO?

Still dark comparing to this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17QpA1pJVBU&feature=fvwrel

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »

I just remembered something I found at some point. I read that traditionally, orthodox churches would have most windows in the altar area and the dome to symbolize the light from Heaven and that this is why some orthodox churches can appear pretty dark. One thing, I envy the western churches is how so many of them are filled with huge windows which bathes the church in light. I would love to see this in an orthodox church.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »

? Most of the Orthodox Churches I have been in have been quite brightly coloured. The major exceptions have been older churches where layers of candle-smoke and incense have somewhat dulled the original colors--though even then all the gold-leaf and brass tends to keep them more sparkly than most emo-kids would be happy with.

None of the Churches i`ve been as far as i remmeber had a luminous aspect.

Mahatma Gandhi
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »

The Church in the video os RC.  There are distinct differences between RC and OC Churches, which are common nearly totally across the board.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »

Why? Because God himself is emo. Think about it... always talking about how no one understands him, always trying to be mysterious, always having strange mood swings, willing to cause bodily harm to himself...  if God doesn't have an emo haircut when I get to judgment I'm going to be very let down.

I doubt it.

Mahatma Gandhi
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »

I just remembered something I found at some point. I read that traditionally, orthodox churches would have most windows in the altar area and the dome to symbolize the light from Heaven and that this is why some orthodox churches can appear pretty dark. One thing, I envy the western churches is how so many of them are filled with huge windows which bathes the church in light. I would love to see this in an orthodox church.

looks much too bare/plain/white to me...but i do like the natural light.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »

Really? You think that's why you're going to be let down at the judgment? You must know some secret that I don't...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »

I doubt it.

You have many Sabbath-day journeys yet to walk, for Christianity is about faith, not doubt.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 04:55:47 PM »

Really? You think that's why you're going to be let down at the judgment? You must know some secret that I don't...

I'm not perfect, just saved!

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 04:57:44 PM »

I'm not perfect, just saved!

Roll Eyes

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »

Well, good for you. Let me know how that is.  Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 05:11:09 PM »

Well, good for you. Let me know how that is.  Wink

It's great! All the sex, drugs, and heavy metal I can take, and no worries about my eternal salvation... God's got my back!

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »

its a counterculture, kind of like a more innocent version of the "goth kids" you would see in school back in the 90's...

Thanks.  I was thinking it was something like that.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:32:42 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 05:33:34 PM »

If Orthodox churches were emo, I might'nt cop so much flack for my haircut every Sunday.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:35:46 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »

If Orthodox churches were emo, I might'nt cop so much flack for my haircut every Sunday.

Cheesy

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 05:45:29 PM »

EMO?

Looks like a vampire lair to me.  Roll Eyes

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »

None of the Churches i`ve been as far as i remmeber had a luminous aspect.

How does one objectively quantify that?

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 07:36:19 PM »

Dark colors did not always represent emo...
Or for that matter, darkness/depressed.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »

Eh?

Any examples of the sorts of churches you're talking about?
Also, Asteriktos, you're hilarious.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »

They are lighter in America -the churches I mean -since they are newer but in Romania since the op is from there they are rather dark.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »

They are lighter in America -the churches I mean -since they are newer but in Romania since the op is from there they are rather dark.

Obviously. Although the vampires in Romania aren't nearly as emo as those in America. At least I hope they're not. THAT would be a dark and depressing reality--emo vampires the world over. Lord save us.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 12:57:56 AM »

We have to remember, as hard as it is to, than the Church isn't just about the pretty icons, shiny metal objects and smelly incense.  It's about Christ becoming flesh for us.  We actually come in contact with God at the liturgy, which is the only place that this happens.

Careful now, Peter's read this thread; he may demand you back up your assertions with quotes from the Fathers.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 01:40:54 AM »

looks much too bare/plain/white to me...but i do like the natural light.

I couldn't find a picture of a church that was decorated.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 01:56:08 AM »

St. Innocent OCA in Macon, GA...

It's fairly new (built in 2004), and I'm not sure if they plan on adding any iconography on the walls. I think it looks beautiful as it is though  Smiley

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 05:23:55 AM »

Not all orthodox churches look like the ones from that 60 Minutes Mt Athos Special.

Thank you.
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

The Pointless One !

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 06:12:48 AM »

St. Innocent OCA in Macon, GA...

It's fairly new (built in 2004), and I'm not sure if they plan on adding any iconography on the walls. I think it looks beautiful as it is though  Smiley

Actually, the Iconography committee had its first meeting a few weeks ago to begin the process.  Smiley
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »

Let me get this straight are you saying that the altar and dome area do not have windows and do not let natural light come in as in to symbolize the light from Heaven?Is that true?

Mahatma Gandhi
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »

Let me get this straight are you saying that the altar and dome area do not have windows and do not let natural light come in as in to symbolize the light from Heaven?Is that true?

All I can say is I've seen MANY EO churches with windows in the altar area.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »

Of course in the consideration of EMO being really NEW and modern thrown out....

Many early Christians did have services in the tombs to hide from those wanting to kill them.  This is why the EO places relics in the altar because often the services were held over the bodies of dead Christians.   I mean, I suppose a nice bright tomb may be better.  Smiley

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »

I'm not saying anything, except that most of the orthodox churches i have seen, have rather small windows, while western churches seem to generally have larger windows which often makes the church looks brighter, and I wanted to know if there was a special reason for that.

-St Silouan the athonite
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »

I'm not saying anything, except that most of the orthodox churches i have seen, have rather small windows, while western churches seem to generally have larger windows which often makes the church looks brighter, and I wanted to know if there was a special reason for that.

windows=space that could have been used for icons.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 08:10:31 PM »

we got some in the dome, that's about it. it also helps to lighten the weight of the dome, iirc.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 08:26:39 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »

Careful now, Peter's read this thread; he may demand you back up your assertions with quotes from the Fathers.

Regarding your "discussion" with Peter, I do remember being very sure of myself and intolerant of any hint of criticism. That was 50 years ago and in those days, we were expected to listen to our elders with respect and without getting all huffy (even when we felt all righteous and correct). Different times I guess....

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 08:49:39 PM »

=Stained glass  Cool
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 09:24:46 PM »

=Stained glass  Cool

oh please no...anything but that!  Tongue
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: