OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 03:37:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arkansas Supreme Court OKs student-teacher sex  (Read 642 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: March 31, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »

By a 4-3 vote, the Arkansas Supreme Court Thursday ruled that high school teachers have a constitutional right to have sex with their students as long as the students are 18 and give their consent.

“The fundamental right to privacy implicit in our law protects all private, consensual, noncommercial acts of sexual intimacy between adults,” the court said, quoting from an earlier Arkansas case.

Preventing a teacher from having sex with a willing 18 year old student “infringes on [the teacher's] fundamental right to privacy,” the court ruled.
I could have imagined this coming from, say, California, or Vermont, but Arkansas?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »

I guess they figure that at 18, a person is an adult and has passed the age of consent. Still creepy because I think there's the issue of appropriate limits between professionals and students. That's the state laws for you, though...
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »

I agree that it is creepy and one would guess that it violates the standards  of the teaching profession. However, I am wondering what everyone thinks. Should we pass laws against actions that are creepy and make us feel uncomfortable?
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:27:26 AM »

I agree that it is creepy and one would guess that it violates the standards  of the teaching profession. However, I am wondering what everyone thinks. Should we pass laws against actions that are creepy and make us feel uncomfortable?
Murder is creepy and makes me uncomfortable. I agree with laws against murder.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »

Good. It is a dumb idea. We have set 18 as the arbitrary age, and our laws should reflect that.  Not that such people shouldn't be fired from their job. Still, the guy shouldn't have been made to go to jail...

An Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith
A Rough Overview of What a Handful of Greek-Speaking Christians Wrote in the 4th-7th Centuries
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »

Good. It is a dumb idea. We have set 18 as the arbitrary age, and our laws should reflect that.  Not that such people shouldn't be fired from their job. Still, the guy shouldn't have been made to go to jail...

Agreed.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »

Murder is creepy and makes me uncomfortable. I agree with laws against murder.

Well, yeah. Because if you've been murdered, that makes it hard to get anything else done.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 04:09:31 PM »

I think this is a violation of professional ethics.  If they wait until graduation, fine.  Until then it facilitates favoritism as well as coercion, which is the major problem I have.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Sluggo1971

Faith: Not sure

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »

I don't see anything that prevents schools from making this a termination offense in their policy.  My wife's school has policy that has all sorts of conduct mandates for teachers, including the consumption of alcohol at public, non-school related functions, where students or their parents could be present.  Last time I checked, drinking was legal for anybody 21 or older.
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:50:03 AM »

I don't see anything that prevents schools from making this a termination offense in their policy.  My wife's school has policy that has all sorts of conduct mandates for teachers, including the consumption of alcohol at public, non-school related functions, where students or their parents could be present.  Last time I checked, drinking was legal for anybody 21 or older.

That was my thought. The schools and various other bodies could rule it as incompatible, therefore grounds for termination. All the court ruled was that it was not a crime, which, in reality, it's not. Unethical, perhaps. Criminal, no.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »

I think it's ridiculous when schools try to regulate whether or not teachers can drink at public functions. I'm sorry, but we have a life outside of that school.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: