OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:16:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has the 'real Ratzinger' come out to play?  (Read 715 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: April 29, 2012, 09:08:47 PM »

ROME -- When Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was elected to the papacy in April 2005, the popular forecast called for stormy weather ahead. This was, after all, the Vatican enforcer who had been leading a “smack-down on heresy since 1981”, in the words of T-shirts and coffee mugs marketed by a Ratzinger fan club. His rise elicited dread in some quarters and joy in others, but virtually everyone agreed big things were in the works.

During most of the past seven years, however, that anticipated upheaval has seemed a lot like the dog that didn’t bark. Back in February 2006, the late Fr. Richard John Neuhaus famously voiced “palpable unease” among those most elated by Ratzinger’s election, and that disappointment endured in a swath of Catholic opinion which had begun to despair that the pope would ever impose order.

Of late, however, many observers believe the “real Ratzinger” has finally come out to play.
What all this suggests is that if there’s indeed a purge unfolding, it will likely be sporadic and uneven, driven more by some Vatican departments, and by some local bishops or religious orders, than others.
Yet with all those cautions on the record, the bottom line on April 2012 remains: The “German Shepherd”, it would seem, still has some bite.
It seems that the Popes give more leeway to Eastern Catholics, than to Latin Catholics.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:10:43 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »

i think once he finally got in power he realized that it was more important not to "rock the boat".
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »

It seems that the Popes give more leeway to Eastern Catholics, than to Latin Catholics.

Yes and no. The Pope is also the Patriarch of the Latin Church, so that means he has a lot of say in that particular Church. The thing is, not everyone agrees that e.g. North American should be part of the Latin Church. Ditto for South America, Australia, and Africa.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »

Yes and no. The Pope is also the Patriarch of the Latin Church, so that means he has a lot of say in that particular Church. The thing is, not everyone agrees that e.g. North American should be part of the Latin Church. Ditto for South America, Australia, and Africa.

Not sure what you mean by that.  Why wouldn't they be part of the "Latin Church"?  Are there those who suggest that these places should have their own patriarchates?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »

Didn't the Pope "retire" the title 'Patriarch of the West' and wasn't that met with controversy in the Orthodox world back in 2006? http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0601225.htm
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »

Why wouldn't they be part of the "Latin Church"? 

That's a good question, but before attempting a refutation, I'd need to know what argument(s) I'm refuting.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 11:52:06 AM »

Why wouldn't they be part of the "Latin Church"? 

That's a good question, but before attempting a refutation, I'd need to know what argument(s) I'm refuting.

I'm not arguing anything.  I'm asking because I don't know and I wasn't sure what you meant in your original post here.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:03:02 PM »

The Pope can't stop being what he is, and the Patriarch of the West is what he is. Smiley I think he removed it from the official list, because in our current situation, it doesn't have as much meaning as it has had in other historical circumstances.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »

The Pope can't stop being what he is, and the Patriarch of the West is what he is. Smiley I think he removed it from the official list, because in our current situation, it doesn't have as much meaning as it has had in other historical circumstances.

As I understand it, the removal of that title from the "yearbook" wasn't overly significant in and of itself, since it has only been in the yearbook in recent centuries. However, the explanation for that removal made it sound like that title is been downplayed/walked-away-from in general.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »

As I understand it, the removal of that title from the "yearbook" wasn't overly significant in and of itself, since it has only been in the yearbook in recent centuries. However, the explanation for that removal made it sound like that title is been downplayed/walked-away-from in general.
Agreed.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »

Does he still go by the title "Patriarch of Rome"?
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 02:00:08 PM »

I think it's the Bishop of Rome but yeah, that's in his title.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »

I don't think so.  Bishop of Rome, yes, however.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 02:14:56 PM »

I read some of his stuff from back when he was a cardinal. He doesn't seem to have changed much.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »

If you mean, is it in the yearbook (Annuario Pontificio), then I'm fairly certain the answer is no.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »

Oh ok. A Patriarch is nothing more than just a fancy bishop, anways.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »

Oh ok. A Patriarch is nothing more than just a fancy bishop, anways.

Shh, don't tell, but in the RCC, a Pope is essentially the highest archbishop. Cardinals are that subset of archbishops who can elect and advise a Pope. But they don't have more territory.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: