Author Topic: Scientists and Belief [AAAS and Pew]  (Read 655 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Scientists and Belief [AAAS and Pew]
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:24:59 PM »
A survey of scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press in May and June 2009, finds that members of this group are, on the whole, much less religious than the general public.
According to the poll, just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power; specifically, 33% of scientists say they believe in God, while 18% believe in a universal spirit or higher power. By contrast, 95% of Americans believe in some form of deity or higher power....Finally, the poll of scientists finds that four-in-ten scientists (41%) say they do not believe in God or a higher power, while the poll of the public finds that only 4% of Americans share this view.
Thus, it follows that most faith traditions are represented in smaller numbers in the scientific community than in the public as a whole. For instance, the scientific community is far less Protestant (21%) and Catholic (10%) than the general public, which is 51% Protestant and 24% Catholic....One notable exception is Jews, who make up a larger proportion of the scientific community (8%) than the general population (2%).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:25:18 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Scientists and Belief [AAAS and Pew]
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
Same as it was in 1909  ;)

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »
Why do studies keep equating ethnic Jews with people who practice Judaism?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:58:42 PM by lovesupreme »

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:01:24 PM »

It would be interesting to find out, say, what percentage of American scientists are of Asian Indian descent, compared to the the percentage of Americans of Asian Indian descent.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:32:10 PM »

It would be interesting to find out, say, what percentage of American scientists are of Asian Indian descent, compared to the the percentage of Americans of Asian Indian descent.

I think for Asians + Indians, it is a pretty significant, just looking around where I am. In terms of graduate students and postdocs, they constitute about half if not more.

I do not know why they surveyed AAAS members. I always assumed that because you do not have to be a scientist to join that most of them were not scientists, but primarily undergraduate students who get the cheaper $75/yr rate for a subscription to Science which is also the major source for job ads. I do suspect most theology majors do no join at this rate, but who knows without another Pew survey.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom