OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 11:36:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the bible seems human made  (Read 1846 times) Average Rating: 0
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »

] Because a few select passages seem human made means that "the bible seems human made"?!  Perhaps you could claim corruption of texts based on this but a sweeping indictment of the entirety of Scripture? 

That's the problem with subject lines and the necessary brevity.

At some point we have to commit to something.  At some point, we have to say that we are going to put our faith in the Lord and not in princes or in sons of men (including ourselves) in whom there is NO salvation.

I have no problem with believing in God or that God's ways are mysterious. It is just that sometimes some things seem more likely to be human than divine transcendence.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2012, 11:55:55 PM »

] Because a few select passages seem human made means that "the bible seems human made"?!  Perhaps you could claim corruption of texts based on this but a sweeping indictment of the entirety of Scripture? 

That's the problem with subject lines and the necessary brevity.

At some point we have to commit to something.  At some point, we have to say that we are going to put our faith in the Lord and not in princes or in sons of men (including ourselves) in whom there is NO salvation.

I have no problem with believing in God or that God's ways are mysterious. It is just that sometimes some things seem more likely to be human than divine transcendence.

I understand.  If we say that something seems to us, then we are partly putting our trust in our own judgment.   But there comes a point when we can go back and forth arguing with ourselves.  Don Henley said "a little voice inside my head said don't look back you can never look back" (as he was looking back).  There will always be something based on our finite understanding that we can find objections to.  At some point God says "choose THIS DAY between life and death..."  We might find the day passing us up if we don't answer the call.  BTW "more likely" is a statement of probability, a mathematical statement.   Is it really a mathematical reality that it is more probable to be of human origin rather than divine?  I understand where you are coming from, I just would warn not to get too trapped by "it seems to me..."  In any case, be of good cheer, Christ is risen, bestowing life!   
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: