OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 12:32:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For an apple crop in Minnesota.  (Read 527 times) Average Rating: 0
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 10, 2012, 08:28:54 AM »

My father is an apple farmer and with an early spring comes an early blossoming of the orchard.  His orchard is in bloom right now and that is at least 3 weeks early.  The temperatures dipped into the mid-20s last night and apple blossoms do not do well with frost.  He may have lost his apple crop.  This next night is also suppose to be freezing temperatures.  Please pray that the miraculous has happened and that my father's crop and the crops of the other fruit growers in the upper midwest have been spared and will be protected in the coming nights.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »

My father is an apple farmer and with an early spring comes an early blossoming of the orchard.  His orchard is in bloom right now and that is at least 3 weeks early.  The temperatures dipped into the mid-20s last night and apple blossoms do not do well with frost.  He may have lost his apple crop.  This next night is also suppose to be freezing temperatures.  Please pray that the miraculous has happened and that my father's crop and the crops of the other fruit growers in the upper midwest have been spared and will be protected in the coming nights.

Lord,have mercy. The potential for a multi-billion dollar fruit crop loss across the northern states and the Great Lakes region is very real due to the early spring. This would be a horrific national disaster. We are worried as well in central New York apple country and our prayers are with you.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:06:01 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:14:48 PM »

I just talked to my father and some varieties did better than others, but he still lost most of his crop.  He hasn't checked the whole orchard though.  He saw enough for today.  There is a good chance that tonight's frost will take what is left.   Sad
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »

I just talked to my father and some varieties did better than others, but he still lost most of his crop.  He hasn't checked the whole orchard though.  He saw enough for today.  There is a good chance that tonight's frost will take what is left.   Sad

I hope the crop was insured and that your governor will declare an emergency for your dad's county and seek FEMA and USDA assistance. Those of us who were rejoicing in the weird weather last month are reminded that nature is indeed set in an intricate balance. We are now averaging 5 below statistical norms for April. God surely reminds us of who is the boss! - for those with ears to listen. I will keep all of the farmers and gardeners in my prayers. I was told by a horticulturist in my region that we likely will lose the lilac flowers this spring. A small loss next to one's livelihood, but to those urban dwellers who go by the scents of the seasons a poignant reminder.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »

I'm sorry to hear it.  Sad

May the Lord be merciful and spare the remainder of the crop and grant your father an avenue of compensation for his loss....and all our other farmers, as well!

Their success is our success...

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

I will add you and your family to my prayers for those here in Niagara whose plum and cherry crops have been damaged by the warm weather in March followed by some frost. It will be a disappointing year for them and for us.

Lord, have mercy!
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 03:56:08 PM »

I will add you and your family to my prayers for those here in Niagara whose plum and cherry crops have been damaged by the warm weather in March followed by some frost. It will be a disappointing year for them and for us.

Lord, have mercy!

Not to mention the many vineyards which dot the shores of the Great and Finger Lakes. Lord, have mercy.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »

My father has always maintained that his job is to plant and to prune.  The harvest is God's business.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »

Lord have mercy.  Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 08:56:21 AM »

Well, after last night it looks like a total loss on the apple crop.  Please remember all your fruit growers.
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »

Lord have mercy on them all.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 10:14:23 PM »

Well, after last night it looks like a total loss on the apple crop.  Please remember all your fruit growers.

Very sorry. Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:37:31 AM »

Lord have mercy. There have been wild temperature swings in Southeast Michigan as well.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 01:37:06 AM »

Lord have mercy.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 05:13:23 PM »

Ok, I talked to my father again today and he said that upon further inspection it appears that portions of the crop have miraculously survived.  He did lose crops on certain varieties, but it seems that other varieties only suffered 50% losses, which really is amazing.  During bloom, 24 Fahrenheit is typically an 80-90% loss and he had a night of 24 degrees followed by a night of 20 degrees.  So right now it looks like he will have a season.  Certainly not a great one, but he will have a season.  Thank you for the prayers.
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 11:43:03 PM »

Glory to God.

KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 01:49:52 AM »

Glory to God.

Indeed.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: