OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 10:40:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book suggestions for a curious Jew  (Read 276 times) Average Rating: 0
vorgos

Faith: Orthodox

« on: April 10, 2012, 07:27:33 AM »

I work for a liberal (reformed?) Jewish family and just today I was talking to one of the more distant family members, in his 50s, and he was curious about why we had last Friday off, that is the public holiday for the RCC Good Friday.

I jokingly suggested I give him a book to explain it to him but he took the bait but asked that it was in English! So, what do I give him? Any suggestions?

EDIT: I should mention that based on what he has said in the past, he has very shallow understanding of religions in general. In his few, all religions are pretty much the same....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:29:12 AM by vorgos » Logged
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:39:59 AM »

If he's only curious about Good Friday, a New Testament would suffice. Or maybe "Christ the Conqueror of Hell" by Met. Hilarion Alfeyev, though I've not read it myself.

If he's more interested in Christianity in general, "Surprised by Christ" by Fr James Bernstein, a Jewish convert to Orthodoxy, might be of interest.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:40:45 AM by age234 » Logged
vorgos

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »

If he's only curious about Good Friday, a New Testament would suffice. Or maybe "Christ the Conqueror of Hell" by Met. Hilarion Alfeyev, though I've not read it myself.

If he's more interested in Christianity in general, "Surprised by Christ" by Fr James Bernstein, a Jewish convert to Orthodoxy, might be of interest.

Thanks age234. I will check out your first suggestion, never heard of it myself. As for the second, I actually own a copy but I am reluctant to give it to him. I don't want to make it look like I am trying to convert him or anything...
vorgos

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:10:07 AM »

Google search revealed this

http://www.dosomething.org/news/11-facts-about-easter-non-christians

I need something like it, longer, more detailed and Orthodox of course....
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:52:46 PM »

Google search revealed this

http://www.dosomething.org/news/11-facts-about-easter-non-christians

I need something like it, longer, more detailed and Orthodox of course....

Give him this book: http://www.amazon.com/History-Christian-Church-Until-Schism/dp/141847326X so that he can learn why you had Catholic Good Friday off.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: