OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 04:08:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pascha & Jewish Passover  (Read 416 times) Average Rating: 0
vorgos

Faith: Not enough

« on: April 10, 2012, 07:18:26 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm a little puzzled about the date on which we are celebrating Pascha. My understanding was that our Pascha had to be after the Jewish passover. And it just happens that I work for a Jewish family and when I asked them, they said they celebrated it on the Friday the 6th which means, based on my understanding, we should have celebrated Pascha together with the Catholics. What am I missing here?

age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »

From what I understand that is something of an Orthodox urban legend.

http://www.jacwell.org/Archbishop%20Peter/The_Date_of_Pascha_and_the_Council_of_Nicea.htm
Margaret S.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »

Passover is a seven day festival (eight days in the diaspora) so the 6th was only the first day.

Regards,
Margaret
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:07 AM »

One thing we need to remember is that the Jews have changed their method of calculating the date of Passover since the time of Christ's Resurrection. The change matters not to us, so when we Orthodox Christians speak of the time relationship between our Pascha and the Jewish Passover, we speak still of the Passover as it was scheduled before the change. We are not to celebrate Pascha BEFORE this Passover according to how the latter was calculated during the time of Christ, the Apostles, and the early Church.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:11:25 AM »

One thing we need to remember is that the Jews have changed their method of calculating the date of Passover since the time of Christ's Resurrection.

When?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »

One thing we need to remember is that the Jews have changed their method of calculating the date of Passover since the time of Christ's Resurrection.

When?
Let's see if I can't dig this up tonight. I'm about to head off to work at the moment, so I'm only doing a quick check of the forum. I should have a bit more time after I get home from church tonight.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »

When?
Unfortunately, it seems that the article I was citing from the Web site of the GOAA has since been removed.
Tags: passover Pascha 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: