OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 06:10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Life of the Virgin: Maximus the Confessor  (Read 3726 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: July 27, 2013, 05:23:06 PM »

Has anyone seen this? Came out last year.

Excerpt:

"Long overlooked by scholars, this seventh-century Life of the Virgin, attributed to Maximus the Confessor, is the earliest complete Marian biography. Originally written in Greek and now surviving only in Old Georgian, it is now translated for the first time into English. It is a work that holds profound significance for understanding the history of late ancient and medieval Christianity, providing a rich source for understanding the history of Christian piety.

This Life is especially remarkable for its representation of Mary's prominent involvement in her son's ministry and her leadership of the early Christian community. In particular, it reveals highly developed devotion to Mary's compassionate suffering at the Crucifixion, anticipating by several centuries an influential medieval style of devotion known as “affective piety” whose origins generally have been confined to the Western High Middle Ages."
he Life of the Virgin: Maximus the Confessor
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0300175043/ref=rdr_ext_sb_ti_hist_1

Apparently this is a good companion piece with that life of the Virgin book by the Apostles Convent.

I've always been interested in her life but always came up with a dearth of material. I might get around to this later, but I am in the midst of reading Met. Bloom and the Bible so it will have to wait.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »

I bought this some months ago but haven't started it yet.  Stumbled upon it accidentally and was quite surprised I'd never heard of it.  Maybe I'll start it soon and report back. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »

I seem to remember another thread on this.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »

I seem to remember another thread on this.
Me too, but I couldn't find it.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: