OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:36:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pascha baskets are a godless Latinization  (Read 1234 times) Average Rating: 0
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« on: April 09, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »

Discuss.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:18:26 PM »

Depends on their contents, IMO.

Orthodox: Easter eggs, jelly beans, caramels, kit kats and various other candy bars, peeps, dark milk chocolate bunnies
Semi-Orthodox: Easter eggs, jelly beans, caramels, kit kats and various other candy bars, peeps, hollow chocolate bunnies
Heretical:  Easter eggs, jelly beans, caramels, kit kats and various other candy bars, peeps, white chocolate bunnies
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »

Orthodox: Easter eggs, jelly beans, caramels, kit kats and various other candy bars, peeps, dark milk chocolate bunnies
Yum

i-Orthodox: Easter eggs, jelly beans, caramels, kit kats and various other candy bars, peeps, hollow chocolate bunnies
Yum

Heretical:  Easter eggs, jelly beans, caramels, kit kats and various other candy bars, peeps, white chocolate bunnies
Yum

Is outrage?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »

Is outrage?

Fear not! The Holy Chrism will wash away godless passion for heretical chocolate bunnies.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 02:49:07 PM »

Is outrage?

Fear not! The Holy Chrism will wash away godless passion for heretical chocolate bunnies.
Which is just a few days away! Less than a week of living in hollow chocolate sin!

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 03:01:57 PM »

But semi-seriously now it seems like it's one of the things that crept into Orthodoxy, as you know, the neo-patristic revival would put it, with Petru Movila's Euchologion. Part and parcel with the heretical, Latin formula of absolution.  Shocked
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:02:59 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 04:00:36 PM »

of course there's always:
http://www.judaism.com/display.asp?ecat=IHIIB

Proverbs 22:7
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »

All good things are of God.

Paska bread, eggs, kovbasa, candy, etc.....are all good things in my book....and God has provided them for us.
We wait for these items to be blessed and with the Grace of God upon them, we break our fast sharing these food items with friends and loved ones.  There's nothing godless here.

However, if your Easter basket contains only jelly beans, bunny's and video games.....then perhaps it is godless, in that the giver, and perhaps the receiver, of that basket forgot about God altogether....and thereby, that basket can be considered to be godless.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 04:28:16 PM »

I hope I don't have to constantly remind the honorable members of this forum that I am not serious most of the times.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 04:30:47 PM »

I hope I don't have to constantly remind the honorable members of this forum that I am not serious most of the times.

Levity is a passion and must be avoided at all costs, dear brother.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 04:46:52 PM »

Paska bread, eggs, kovbasa, candy, etc.....are all good things in my book....and God has provided them for us.
We wait for these items to be blessed and with the Grace of God upon them, we break our fast sharing these food items with friends and loved ones.  There's nothing godless here.

And all the contents of the traditional Ukrainian basket brought to church to be blessed all have symbolic meanings.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »

My basket contains a nice assortment of wursts and cheeses, along with some bottles of fine beer.  Who needs chocolate and jelly beans . . .

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »

I don't have one of those basket things.   Embarrassed Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »

My basket contains a nice assortment of wursts and cheeses, along with some bottles of fine beer. 
that's what they all say.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 07:22:08 PM »

I don't have one of those basket things.   Embarrassed Cry

The Dollar store sells them...  Cool
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 08:16:02 PM »

Heretical:  ... white chocolate bunnies

Embarrassed

I'm a condemned man...

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
dllwatkins

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 08:55:09 PM »

I keep looking for a "Like" button, lol.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 03:56:43 AM »

My basket contains a nice assortment of wursts and cheeses, along with some bottles of fine beer.

Is outrage! Our Lord used bread and wine, not beer and sausage!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 05:24:50 AM »

An Easter basket without samohon?!?  Liza's parish ain't really Ukrainian.  I'm always amused by the people slamming vodka right in front of the church on Easter.   
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:21 AM »

...I just chose not to mention it!   Wink

Now here's the true innocent, spirit of Easter, reflected in the children enjoying the afternoon, gathering multi-colored eggs!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »

Is outrage! Our Lord used bread and wine, not beer and sausage!

I don't think that Our Lord walked around with a basket.  If I have to walk around with a basket, it will have to contain the above items to make it worth my while.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 12:19:26 PM »

However, if your Easter basket contains only jelly beans, bunny's and video games.....then perhaps it is godless, in that the giver, and perhaps the receiver, of that basket forgot about God altogether....and thereby, that basket can be considered to be godless.

how are jelly beans and video games (depending on content) more godless than eggs, other candy and kovbasa?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 12:20:16 PM »

Is outrage?

I like to bite their heads off.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »

An Easter basket without samohon?!?  Liza's parish ain't really Ukrainian.  I'm always amused by the people slamming vodka right in front of the church on Easter.   

You may not be aware of this, but moonshine is made and sold legitimately in the States. Couple of brands to come to mind are "Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey" and "White Dog - Mash #1" by a respected bourbon maker, Buffalo Trace.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »

how are jelly beans and video games (depending on content) more godless than eggs, other candy and kovbasa?

Well....because the items that are placed in a Paschal basket, brought to church and blessed....are meant as a way to "break" our fast together as one family - this being our physical family, our parish family and those who have departed.  This is VERY God-like.  We fasted to become closer to God, and we therefore, break our fast with items blessed by God - which our to our salvation, not our determent.

Now, the jelly bean, video game, barbie doll, etc..."Easter" baskets....never make it to church....God is often not even mentioned, thought of, or meant to be a part of these baskets....they are simply "fun".  Many non-Christians even make and give baskets of this nature.  The jelly beans, while food, are not meant to "break a fast"...only to feed the passions.  Granted I LOVE jellybeans...and also put them in my basket (because I am NOT perfect)....and the video games only serve to brainwash our kids' minds...where they love "gaming" more than God....and it becomes a false god to them, an idol of sorts...which is against the Commandment of making no false gods.

Therefore, the two baskets, while both considered "Easter" baskets have completely different meanings and goals behind them.  Smiley

—St. Isaac of Syria
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »

Heretical:  ... white chocolate bunnies

Embarrassed

I'm a condemned man...

Actually, come to think of it, consider my stomach as eternal damnation for the heretical bunnies!  angel

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 07:38:05 PM »

Well....because the items that are placed in a Paschal basket, brought to church and blessed....are meant as a way to "break" our fast together as one family - this being our physical family, our parish family and those who have departed.  This is VERY God-like.  We fasted to become closer to God, and we therefore, break our fast with items blessed by God - which our to our salvation, not our determent.

Now, the jelly bean, video game, barbie doll, etc..."Easter" baskets....never make it to church....
Ours always did.  Though, having boys, we never had barbie dolls.

God is often not even mentioned, thought of, or meant to be a part of these baskets....they are simply "fun".  Many non-Christians even make and give baskets of this nature.  The jelly beans, while food, are not meant to "break a fast"...only to feed the passions.  Granted I LOVE jellybeans...and also put them in my basket (because I am NOT perfect)....and the video games only serve to brainwash our kids' minds...where they love "gaming" more than God....and it becomes a false god to them, an idol of sorts...which is against the Commandment of making no false gods.

Therefore, the two baskets, while both considered "Easter" baskets have completely different meanings and goals behind them.  Smiley
Though the idea of two baskets is fine, I still dispute that one is categorically in one or the other, although I hate jelly beans.
Many non-Christians have baskets with sausage, cheese, sweet bread etc. You can go to Swiss Farm and get them, no confession of faith necessary.
Even the idea of fasting does not distinguish: many don't watch videos, play video games, or listen to the radio during Great Lent.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 09:28:41 PM »

Yes....but, the main difference between the two types of baskets are 1) People who celebrate the risen Lord, 2) People who celebrate the Easter bunny.

This is the same with Christmas.  Folks exchange gifts, but, never go to church....and just like the cuteness of the holiday celebration...never mentioning, or even thinking about the birth of Christ.

I've put games and toys in baskets for the kids....but, that is not the MAIN Easter basket that went to church and got blessed.  That was simply for fun....after everyone got a couple of hours of sleep after being in church all night and morning.

Christ's Resurrection was celebrated....and THEN did the games begin.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 10:32:48 PM »

i dont have enough money to make an easter basket...i would inevitably spend at least 20 bucks...i think i will just head home and grab a big mac...lol
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 10:52:54 PM »

Yes....but, the main difference between the two types of baskets are 1) People who celebrate the risen Lord, 2) People who celebrate the Easter bunny.
You are putting the difference into the baskets.

This is the same with Christmas.  Folks exchange gifts, but, never go to church....and just like the cuteness of the holiday celebration...never mentioning, or even thinking about the birth of Christ.
Yes, again the holiday baskets from Swiss Valley.  Not a material difference, just one you make.

I've put games and toys in baskets for the kids....but, that is not the MAIN Easter basket that went to church and got blessed.  That was simply for fun....after everyone got a couple of hours of sleep after being in church all night and morning.

Christ's Resurrection was celebrated....and THEN did the games begin.
Is there a canon against toys?

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »

I'm really find it hard to believe you aren't grasping my meaning.

My point in the difference is not so much the basket or what is in it, as it is a secular approach to Easter versus a spiritual one.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »

Could we put an end to this disagreement if the video game in the basket was Left Behind?

Kiss
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:12:40 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »

A bunch of guys checking out each other's baskets. hmmm..

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 02:48:20 AM »

I'm really find it hard to believe you aren't grasping my meaning.

My point in the difference is not so much the basket or what is in it, as it is a secular approach to Easter versus a spiritual one.

If it's traditional Ukrainian, it's spiritual.  That's the only meaning I've come up with.  Candy or video games are a great thing for children to give up during lent to introduce the concept of fasting.  I'm not even sure our basket will have salo in it this year - my wife and I enjoyed lent so much that we're thinking of becoming pesco-vegetarians.  I'm not sure how everyone else would react if we put some pickled herring in our basket  Cheesy 

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 03:07:29 AM »

You may not be aware of this, but moonshine is made and sold legitimately in the States. Couple of brands to come to mind are "Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey" and "White Dog - Mash #1" by a respected bourbon maker, Buffalo Trace.

Your post has single-handedly restored my faith in America  Smiley

I'd imagine the taste is a bit different than Ukrainian moonshine since corn in the main ingredient in the American version.  Here the best moonshines are made mostly from wheat.  The problem with moonshine and vodka is that there isn't a great deal of food that goes well with it.  Pickled herring on rye bread and salo with raw hunks of garlic are about it.   
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 05:21:35 AM »

Are toys food?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 04:13:03 PM »

only against toy cannons.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 04:50:19 PM »

Are toys food?
As far as I am concerned, neither are eggs.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: