OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 10:38:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sign of the Cross for Western Rite  (Read 2435 times) Average Rating: 0
militantsparrow
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« on: April 08, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »

Which Liturgy do you use and how do you make the sign of the Cross. Finger position? Left to right?

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »

I sing Mass according to the Sarum Use of the Roman Rite (old Roman rite). In Western rite, using three fingers, we cross ourselves from right to left. I hope this is helpful.
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:39:36 PM »

Interesting. Thank you, Fr. Aidan.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:02:39 PM by militantsparrow » Logged

dcointin

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »

The way Fr. Aidan described is also the way I was taught to do it in the Antiochian Archiocese, English usage (Liturgy of St. Tikhon).
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »

I sing Mass according to the Sarum Use of the Roman Rite (old Roman rite). In Western rite, using three fingers, we cross ourselves from right to left. I hope this is helpful.
Fr. Aidan, does your parish celebrate the Feast of Corpus Christi?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »

First, although I have a standing blessing to perform Western Rite services, the parish in which I currently serve (Holy Protection, Austin, Texas) is an Eastern Rite parish in the standard ROCOR tradition, with standard customs, mixture of English with some Slavonic, standard music style. It's a typical ROCOR parish. I have never celebrated a WR service at Holy Protection.

I have done WR in Oklahoma City (St. Benedict's ROCOR, where I served as a cantor) and at St. Nicholas women's monastery in N. Ft. Myers, Florida (ROCOR), where I celebrated the divine office and holy Mass in the Roman rite (Sarum use).

But in the Sarum Use as approved for the ROCOR in Sept. of 2008, there is no celebration of the Corpus Christi feast. The RWRV has some places which keep it, and other places which do not keep it.

The three-fingers, right-to-left sign of the Cross was, if I understand correctly, always done in the Russian Church's Western Rite (whether Moscow or ROCOR's). In the Antiochian jurisdiction, time was when the five-fingered, left-to-right sign was very widespread and was defended, although some also did the other way. Then, some time around the late 1990s, it seems, there was a decision by the AWRV to go from the "Western Patrimony" (Western culture and tradition including all the Roman Catholic changes and developments across time) to the "Western Orthodox Patrimony" (Western culture and tradition from the times when the West was in communion with and was a part of the Church), as regards, that is, how to make the sign of the Cross.

And there are doubtless more such adjustments coming, as the Western Rite finds its path, its way, remaining true to its Western roots while pursuing its place within the "big picture" of the Orthodox Family. It would be unnatural if this process did NOT unfold.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:07:43 PM by Fr.Aidan » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 06:13:05 AM »

In the Antiochian jurisdiction, time was when the five-fingered, left-to-right sign was very widespread and was defended, although some also did the other way. Then, some time around the late 1990s, it seems, there was a decision by the AWRV to go from the "Western Patrimony" (Western culture and tradition including all the Roman Catholic changes and developments across time) to the "Western Orthodox Patrimony" (Western culture and tradition from the times when the West was in communion with and was a part of the Church), as regards, that is, how to make the sign of the Cross.

Interesting. Has there been any other changes than way of making the sign of the Cross?

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »

Christ is risen.

All that's coming to mind is that in many editions of the Canon of the Mass (Canon Missae) in approved Western Rite usages over the past 20 years, portions of the ancient canon were marked off as optional to do or omit. But from what I see, this movement to make chunks of the ancient Canon "optional" is getting replaced with presenting the ancient Canon as simply To Be Done.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »

I've only visited Christminster in Hamilton and Holy Incarnation in Lincoln Park, but in both places the sign of the cross was made right to left in the 'new ritualist' style (three fingers together to the forehead, two to the palm).

Which Liturgy do you use and how do you make the sign of the Cross. Finger position? Left to right?

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »

You make the +Sign of the Cross from left to right most traditionally Catholic liturgy & vespers . . . In the Eastern liturgy of St. John Chrysostom I was told to make the sign of the cross from left to right.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »

The oldest way of making the Cross in Greek and Roman use is right to left. The number of fingers, two or three, is up for debate, last I checked. Left to right came about later in Roman use, well after the schism.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »

Left to right with the index finger up and other fingers bent (like stairs).
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 04:46:15 PM »

There's Western Rite in the Ethiopian Church?

Anyways, right to left, in the Orthodox way. No different.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »

I think you mean "the Byzantine/Roman way." Orthodox Armenians, Copts, Eritreans, Ethiopians, Indians, and Syrians cross themselves left to right.

PP

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 10:20:04 PM »

The Mahibere Qidusan way? :-)

Ergib

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »

I think you mean "the Byzantine/Roman way." Orthodox Armenians, Copts, Eritreans, Ethiopians, Indians, and Syrians cross themselves left to right.

PP

Thanks, kijabeboy03 :-)
Ergib

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 08:47:25 AM »

PP

Didn't see "for Western Rite" until now....

Don’t know why you (EO) cross the way you do, but  we (Ethiopian Orthodox) cross ourselves left to right for a very special reason. Ending our sign to the right symbolize us raising/standing on the right of Jesus Christ on judgment day.
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 10:21:31 AM »

PP

The Eastern Rite Catholics / Byzantine cross themselves from right to left.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »

All Eastern Catholics or just Byzantine Catholics? I imagine Armenian/Coptic/Malankara/Syrian/Syro-Malabar Catholics cross themselves left to right...

PP

The Eastern Rite Catholics / Byzantine cross themselves from right to left.

James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »

Left-to-right, as do Roman Catholics and Anglo-Catholics.  Most in our parish do it right-to-left, but I am more comfortable with left-to-right as part of our living Western heritage carried over into Orthodoxy.
James2
Mr.
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »

We use the Liturgy of St. Gregory.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 08:09:20 PM »

James, do you also use the open-palm or do you hold your hand in the Eastern Orthodox manner?

Those who came in from liturgically Western contexts, it seems, are permitted to cross themselves in the manner they're used to, but it many new converts are catechized to cross themselves in the traditional Orthodox way. I don't think this is a top-down decision or anything, just a common pastoral approach.

I, for one, think either way is legitimate and theologically rich.
James2
Mr.
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 05:23:40 PM »

James, do you also use the open-palm or do you hold your hand in the Eastern Orthodox manner?

Those who came in from liturgically Western contexts, it seems, are permitted to cross themselves in the manner they're used to, but it many new converts are catechized to cross themselves in the traditional Orthodox way. I don't think this is a top-down decision or anything, just a common pastoral approach.

I, for one, think either way is legitimate and theologically rich.

Open palm.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »

Btw, at least some of the Finnish Lutherans use the Orthodox way except that they cross themselves from left to right.

kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »

Ah, the Coptic Orthodox way then :-).

Btw, at least some of the Finnish Lutherans use the Orthodox way except that they cross themselves from left to right.

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »

Standing up in the wooden pew at St. Peter's WR Orthodox church we make it from the right to left in the Name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 11:39:12 AM »

In the Western Rite, the tradition was to use three fingers in making the sign of the Cross. This is mentioned by many sources, including 10th century Anglo-Saxon and 13th century Roman.
LakaYaRabb

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »

On the whole it seems probable that the ultimate prevalence of the larger cross is due to an instruction of Leo IV in the middle of the ninth century. "Sign the chalice and the host", he wrote, "with a right cross and not with circles or with a varying of the fingers, but with two fingers stretched out and the thumb hidden within them, by which the Trinity is symbolized. Take heed to make this sign rightly, for otherwise you can bless nothing" (see Georgi, "Liturg. Rom. Pont.", III, 37). Although this, of course, primarily applies to the position of the hand in blessing with the sign of the cross; it seems to have been adapted popularly to the making of the sign of the cross upon oneself. Aelfric (about 1000) probably had it in mind when he tells his hearers in one of his sermons: "A man may wave about wonderfully with his hands without creating any blessing unless he make the sign of the cross. But if he do the fiend will soon be frightened on account of the victorious token. With three fingers one must bless himself for the Holy Trinity" (Thorpe, "The Homilies of the Anglo-Saxon Church" I, 462). Fifty years earlier than this Anglo-Saxon Christians were exhorted to "bless all their bodies seven times with Christ's rood token" (Blicking Hom., 47), which seems to assume this large cross. Bede in his letter to Bishop Egbert advises him to remind his flock "with what frequent diligence to employ upon themselves the sign of our Lord's cross", though here we can draw no inferences as to the kind of cross made. On the other hand when we meet in the so-called "Prayer Book of King Henry" (eleventh century) a direction in the morning prayers to mark with the holy Cross "the four sides of the body", there is a good reason to suppose that the large sign with which we are now familiar is meant.

At this period the manner of making it in the West seems to have been identical with that followed at present in the East, i.e. only three fingers were used, and the hand traveled from the right shoulder to the left. The point, it must be confessed, is not entirely clear and Thalhofer (Liturgik, I, 633) inclines to the opinion that in the passages of Belethus (xxxix), Sicardus (III, iv), Innocent III (De myst. Alt., II, xlvi), and Durandus (V, ii, 13), which are usually appealed to in proof of this, these authors have in mind the small cross made upon the forehead or external objects, in which the hand moves naturally from right to left, and not the big cross made from shoulder to shoulder. Still, a rubric in a manuscript copy of the York Missal clearly requires the priest when signing himself with the paten to touch the left shoulder after the right. Moreover it is at least clear from many pictures and sculptures that in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries the Greek practice of extending only three fingers was adhered to by many Latin Christians. Thus the compiler of the Ancren Riwle (about 1200) directs his nuns at "Deus in adjutorium" to make a little cross from above the forehead down to the breast with three fingers". However there can be little doubt that long before the close of the Middle Ages the large sign of the cross was more commonly made in the West with the open hand and that the bar of the cross was traced from left to right. In the "Myroure of our Ladye" (p. 80) the Bridgettine Nuns of Sion have a mystical reason given to them for the practice: "And then ye bless you with the sygne of the holy crosse, to chase away the fiend with all his deceytes. For, as Chrysostome sayth, wherever the fiends see the signe of the crosse, they flye away, dreading it as a staffe that they are beaten withall. And in thys blessinge ye beginne with youre hande at the hedde downwarde, and then to the lefte side and byleve that our Lord Jesu Christe came down from the head, that is from the Father into erthe by his holy Incarnation, and from the erthe into the left syde, that is hell, by his bitter Passion, and from thence into his Father's righte syde by his glorious Ascension".

You must cite your source when quoting. Please provide a source for this quote.
Arimethea- Liturgy Section Moderator
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:57:40 PM by arimethea » Logged
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »

Very interesting. Thank you.

LakaYaRabb

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 08:56:07 PM »

I beg everyone's forgiveness! I am very sorry for any offense I might have caused! I can't believe I forgot to post the link!   Embarrassed    Here it is:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13785a.htm
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: