OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 01:02:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you take Orthodoxy seriously?
yes, too seriously!
basically
kind of
not really
meh

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you take Orthodoxy seriously?  (Read 1825 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: April 07, 2012, 11:11:19 PM »

discuss...  Cool
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »

I pick and choose, just like the Fathers on Athos.
Babalon
Resident Occultist

Faith: Gnosis
Jurisdiction: A.'.A.'.

I am everywhere the centre.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:24:16 PM »

LOLWUT

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:30:31 PM »

Your first option is excessive, the other four are all pretty much the same.  I would not consider myself 'Hyperdox' but I do consider myself serious.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:31:16 PM by vamrat » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:43:51 PM »

Your first option is excessive, the other four are all pretty much the same.  I would not consider myself 'Hyperdox' but I do consider myself serious.

basically isn't good?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:53:19 PM »

I hinted at this on another thread, but to expand a bit...

- Authorities: How seriously I take Christian authorities (sacred texts, iconography, etc.) varies, but for the most part I try to respect their integrity.

- General Ideas: I take the general concepts (free will, divinity, etc.) grappled with in Christianity very seriously... much more seriously than I would take any one authority (e.g. the Bible), which are merely tools.

- Specified Doctrines/Dogmas: I take these (trinity, two natures, etc.) less seriously than the general concepts, but still try to approach them with respect.

- Theories: what might be considered fringe ideas or theologoumena; how seriously I take them varies widely. Some I don't think much of (to be kind), others I think are more theologically sound than the standard/mainstream Orthodox answer.

- People: I respect people and take them seriously if they are sincere and/or knowledgable. However, I often make jokes, and one of the reasons is that people are usually wrong to some extent. I think it's a mistake to take ourselves too seriously, or our understanding too seriously. If we constantly spoke of serious things in a serious manner we would become full of ourselves IMO. Or perhaps it's just that I have often let myself get a big head, and want to try to avoid it. One of those.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:54:32 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 11:57:45 PM »

how about living the christian (orthodox) life in general?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 12:01:04 AM »

When I'm Orthodox I take it very seriously, too seriously really. When I'm not Orthodox... I guess I think it has some good ideas to live by, but on the whole I don't see a point in living like an Orthodox if you aren't actually Orthodox...

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 12:04:15 AM »

When I'm Orthodox I take it very seriously, too seriously really. When I'm not Orthodox... I guess I think it has some good ideas to live by, but on the whole I don't see a point in living like an Orthodox if you aren't actually Orthodox...

What about general christian virtues and principles of moral thought and action? This is the aspect that interests me the most of anything.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:04:57 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 12:10:26 AM »

What about general christian virtues and principles of moral thought and action? This is the aspect that interests me the most of anything.

Not sure. I was chrismated over 10 years ago, and I still find my approach to be a mixed bag, even when I'm trying my hardest to be Orthodox. One thing I have an issue with is the general approach to homosexuality. Other things I have an opposite view of and try to follow regardless of my ecclesiastical status, such as the concept that you should do the right thing even if it costs you greatly (even to the point of death). Then yet other things are in the middle, such as what to do about lust.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 12:15:45 AM »

I'm your average Hyperdox Herman, considering that I am a new convert and from what I have heard and experienced, we are usually like this our first year.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 12:36:47 AM »

Is this a "serious" question, "Do we take Orthodoxy seriously"?

If you don't take it "seriously", than you aren't truly Orthodoxy, are you?

The Church is not a game, nor is it a local super market where you can pick and choose what you put in your cart.

IF you are having an issue with one particular aspect, I would venture to say that you don't completely understand the "why" behind it.

Personally, I take my Faith completely seriously - the whole kit and caboodle!  Smiley

Now, does that mean that I am the perfect Orthodox Christian?  Not by a long shot!!!! 

However, just because I fall short of the mark, doesn't mean that I should question the Church or her dogmas, beliefs, rules, doctrines, etc.

The problem is NOT with the Church, it is with me, and my weakness.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 12:51:15 AM »

I pick and choose, just like the Fathers on Athos.

Mhm. I'll need to see something that backs this assertion up if you please. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 12:56:17 AM »

I'm your average Hyperdox Herman, considering that I am a new convert and from what I have heard and experienced, we are usually like this our first year.

i should have made that my first poll option
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 12:58:30 AM »

Not all of us. Even when we were catechumens.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 01:37:21 AM »

As long as it doesn't mean that I have to know what I'm talking about or doing, then yes, I take Orthodoxy seriously. In my daily practice, it's more about setting a prayer rule and sticking to it, fasting, blahblahblahblah than...I don't know...memorizing canons to throw in other people's faces or something. I guess I'm not that type of serious. I try to learn that stuff because I'm a dummy so I'm impressed when people can rattle off stuff like "as St. X wrote in his 'A Disputation Against the Pnevnophlebotomists' in 4 AD...", but I can't help but feel like that's not a very good reason to learn that stuff. It kind of takes away from the more simple and immediately relatable stuff mentioned earlier.

mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »

Personally, I think those are the least interesting things about Orthodoxy. I don't see a significant difference between Orthodox morality and that of most other mainstream Christian faiths (speaking collectively, not about individual denominations).

The important difference, regarding virtues and morality, is in its intent. Too often I hear secular minded people espousing support for Christianity because it 'produces moral behavior' or 'good citizens'. This moral behavior is seen as the end product of Christianity. Or, conversely, condemning Christianity because Christian morals preclude behavior which they view as acceptable, or at least not detrimental to society.

But, morality is not the goal of Christianity, nor is it to produce good citizens, although those are worthwhile side benefits. The virtues and moral behaviors Orthodox Christians are called to are merely necessary stepping stones to the single goal of Christianity; Theosis; being united to God.

If a person has no interest in this union, what does their behavior matter, so long as it does not harm others? If one wants seek this union, then they must adapt their behavior accordingly (or, at least strive to, and pray like mad for Grace!).

Anyway, that's how I see it. I'm typing this at the end of a long, eventful day. Hope I'm being at least halfway coherent. I chose "basically" since it was one step down from 'too serious'. "Serious but falling short" would be my pick if it was up there.

"Who touches, is also touched"
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 03:28:23 AM »

The Church is not a game, nor is it a local super market where you can pick and choose what you put in your cart.

IF you are having an issue with one particular aspect, I would venture to say that you don't completely understand the "why" behind it.

Personally, I take my Faith completely seriously - the whole kit and caboodle!  Smiley

Now, does that mean that I am the perfect Orthodox Christian?  Not by a long shot!!!! 

However, just because I fall short of the mark, doesn't mean that I should question the Church or her dogmas, beliefs, rules, doctrines, etc.

Post of the Month nominee!!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 03:35:25 AM »

Mostly I try to not to take anything too seriously.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 04:29:49 AM »

Yes, I take all of what our Holy Orthodoxy offers us seriously, but I don't mean to imply that my practice reflects that belief.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »

It depends on what part of "Orthodoxy" you are discussing.

I was raised in a Christian Church and have worshiped the Christian God all of my life.  I converted to Orthodoxy based on certain theological principles that I take dead serious, serious enough to split from my family and friends (as many converts here have).  As to "living the Christian Life", I saw more of that in the Protestant Churches that I attended, so I do not take that aspect of Orthodoxy at all seriously.  Fasting and long prayers are of no use when they do not spur you on to serve your fellow man.  Likewise the plethora of pious customs that have become "Tradition", but not followed by all Orthodox.  Same with the Councils.  The decrees and theology of the Seven Pillars of Christianity I take dead serious.  The various canons that seem to be entirely optional when it is convenient for a certain Bishop to not want to follow them I take as seriously as those Bishops who do not want to follow them.  So, I had a hard time answering that question.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »

Without quibbling about what you mean by "Orthodoxy"...

I take Orthodoxy seriously. I do not take seriously Netodoxy or Hyperdoxy (twin cousins, I hear).

From another angle: I am very pious on the inside.

From another angle, this:

Quote from: Punch
As to "living the Christian Life", I saw more of that in the Protestant Churches that I attended, so I do not take that aspect of Orthodoxy at all seriously.  Fasting and long prayers are of no use when they do not spur you on to serve your fellow man.  Likewise the plethora of pious customs that have become "Tradition", but not followed by all Orthodox.  Same with the Councils.  The decrees and theology of the Seven Pillars of Christianity I take dead serious.  The various canons that seem to be entirely optional when it is convenient for a certain Bishop to not want to follow them I take as seriously as those Bishops who do not want to follow them.  So, I had a hard time answering that question.

From another angle: Orthodoxy helps me sleep easy at night, instead of sitting up late drinking my 13th beer and sweating about going to Hell. The language of healing I have heard in the Church has always resonated with me. I take that seriously.

I could go on, but I fear I would only muddy the waters.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 01:19:52 PM »

It depends on what part of "Orthodoxy" you are discussing.

I was raised in a Christian Church and have worshiped the Christian God all of my life.  I converted to Orthodoxy based on certain theological principles that I take dead serious, serious enough to split from my family and friends (as many converts here have).  As to "living the Christian Life", I saw more of that in the Protestant Churches that I attended, so I do not take that aspect of Orthodoxy at all seriously.  Fasting and long prayers are of no use when they do not spur you on to serve your fellow man.  Likewise the plethora of pious customs that have become "Tradition", but not followed by all Orthodox.  Same with the Councils.  The decrees and theology of the Seven Pillars of Christianity I take dead serious.  The various canons that seem to be entirely optional when it is convenient for a certain Bishop to not want to follow them I take as seriously as those Bishops who do not want to follow them.  So, I had a hard time answering that question.

Your frankness is oft for better than worse, especially of late.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »

Orthodoxy or death!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »

For some reason this thread reminds me of Rev 3:14-19.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:02:54 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »

I'm scared to take Orthodoxy seriously in case people think I'm weird. I was so embarrassed when a family friend asked my mom where I was one Wednesday night and she answered by saying "at a Presanctified liturgy" instead of just saying "at church."  Embarrassed

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »

As to "living the Christian Life", I saw more of that in the Protestant Churches that I attended, so I do not take that aspect of Orthodoxy at all seriously.

I don't understand this. Other people aren't doing it, so you're not going to try to, either? I hope I've got you wrong here.

Quote from: William
I'm scared to take Orthodoxy seriously in case people think I'm weird.

Reminds me of St. Anthony the Great telling us that a time will come when everyone will be crazy but we will be looked at as the crazy ones for not being like them. It's life, I guess.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 02:13:27 PM »

+1

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »

Post of the Month nominee!!

You do realize these sorta posts write themselves?

I can start churning them out, if you would like.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 02:16:34 PM »

Do I take Orthodoxy seriously?

I am trying to.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »

As to "living the Christian Life", I saw more of that in the Protestant Churches that I attended, so I do not take that aspect of Orthodoxy at all seriously.

I don't understand this. Other people aren't doing it, so you're not going to try to, either? I hope I've got you wrong here.

Reminds me of St. Anthony the Great telling us that a time will come when everyone will be crazy but we will be looked at as the crazy ones for not being like them. It's life, I guess.

Ya, what's up with that?  Huh Punch, explain yourself! Wink
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »

Not quite sure what you are talking about.  No, I am NOT going to try to be like they are, or do you think that I should?  I am going to try to be like the Orthodoxy that I read about, not what I see.  Not that I succeed much.  But I do at least try.  Does this make it clearer?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 03:56:13 PM by Punch » Logged

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »

I'm not sure I understand you. I take it from your subsequent explanation that you mean to say you actually do take living a Christian life seriously? In that you won't follow the majority of Orthodox that you know who do not take it seriously. I agree, but I read your other post as saying essentially the opposite. My apologies.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:14:11 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »

The faith and sacraments I take dead serious.

Practices like fasting and metanies I take semi-serious- I fast however my current parish/jurisdiction fasts and don't stress about Russians eating fish or what have you, and I obey just enough of the pious practice so as not to draw attention to myself without asserting anything foreign to the parish.

Ecclesiastical politics and inter-jurisdiction debates I take about as seriously as a hit of nitrous oxide.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »

]

You are jealous of my bonus stars Asteriktos? I have so many, many, many more than you!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:59:56 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 04:58:50 PM »

Sometimes I don't understand things.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »

Quit breaking the internet with all your scrolly, starry nonsense, you nerds.

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2012, 05:10:27 PM »

Where is the "yes seriously but not seriously enough" option?

Silly Stars
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »

you just made it... Wink
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »

Sometimes I don't understand things.

in this thread, or in Orthodoxy in general?
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »

you just made it... Wink

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:25:08 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »

If I asked "do you Orthodoxy as a way of life seriously" would your response be any different? Does that any different meaning/connotation to you?
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: